How rough is a pacific coastal cruise?

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you are referring to the Oasis of the Seas and the Nov 2009 incident where the ship encountered 60 foot seas; the lifeboats sustained minor damage. The ship put into port in Fort Lauderdale two days late (Nov 13 instead of Nov 11). It left on its maiden voyage on time three weeks later, Dec. 5, 2009.

Those were the peak waves, but the significant wave height was reported as only being about 35'.

Upon our local OEM technician's return, I chatted with him extensively when servicing my davits, so at that time, I was well aware of what the cruise line and media described as "Minor Damage". 

The reported minor damage, still required the manufacturer to bring in additional service technicians to supplement the Ft Lauderdale office.

59 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Upon our local OEM technician's return, I chatted with him extensively when servicing my davits, so at that time, I was well aware of what the cruise line and media described as "Minor Damage".

But didn't you say, "I recall reading the D/D incident, but I recall the ship was taken to Cadiz for repairs, with the ship out of service for over 1-month."?

46 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

But didn't you say, "I recall reading the D/D incident, but I recall the ship was taken to Cadiz for repairs, with the ship out of service for over 1-month."?

We were discussing 2 separate incidents - the maiden voyage lifeboats in 2009 and the toppled crane in D/D in 2019.

• 1 month later...

OP was asking about rough seas.  Our friends just sailed the Ruby out of San Francisco RT to HI and back for 15 days.  It was rough every day except for two.  The ship actually went north from SF the first day and then turned west due to rough seas.  

• 4 weeks later...

I need to make a decision soon. I’m considering just flying to san fransisco instead but its cheaper to take a cruise. This ship has only one sea day so it looks like rough seas will mainly happen at night. Is rough seas something that could keep me awake?

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I need to make a decision soon. I’m considering just flying to san fransisco instead but its cheaper to take a cruise. This ship has only one sea day so it looks like rough seas will mainly happen at night. Is rough seas something that could keep me awake?

We don't your sleeping habits! Yes, rough seas can certainly keep you awake. Or not. We slept through 70 mph winds twice in the Pacific...once off central California, once off Central America, where they are more common. We also got thrown out of bed entering Puget Sound, in an old cruise ship without stabilizers. YMMV.

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I don't understand any of this post. I thought you were on the Serenade of the Seas in September? That would either be an Alaska cruise or the first part of a repositioning cruise?

If it involves the repositioning cruise, then it should be warm and fairly calm most of the cruise.

This is for a sep 25 cruise to los angeles from vancouver. I believe i started the thread quite some time ago when i thought i'd go for a cruise in the spring but was deterred as it was rougher. Sounds like its calmer after san fransisco so i'll see how many days until then.

40 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Yes its on the serenade which i believe is a smaller ship so i may feel the roughness more.

The ocean shouldn't be rough and the weather from SF to LA should be great. This is the first part of a repositioning cruise. After you get off in LA the next group gets on for a 13 day trip LA to Tampa Bay, through the Panama Canal so the Serenade can start its Caribbean season.

Thought I'd add my two cents.   Going North to South is along the Pacific Coast is rougher.   Not bad, just gives you some sea legs.

My suggestion if you think you are prone to sea sickness would be to book the middle of the ship and stay away from the bow and stern.  Get yourself at least a window so you can see the horizon.   Lower decks aren't as rocky.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Hello I am on Princess going from San Francisco  round trip for 7 days cruising northwest on April 23rd, anyone had any weather related input (ie cold, windy ,rough seas, at that time of Year?

Yes, it could be cold, windy, and have rough seas. Or it may not. It's still early Spring in the Northwest, mid-Spring in San Francisco.