What can P&O do better going forward ?

kalos

P&O are just round the corner from home, so handy, and they are reasonably priced. They sail from the UK in winter months, so they are doing a lot right.

However if they could combine the following for me, I would never get off!

• NCL entertainment
  • Virgin Voyages no fee dining venues, included WiFi, tips and soft drinks as standard.
  • RCI cabins, Central Park, Royal Promenade
  • Celebrity service standards and buffet
  • HAL quality of food  and space per passenger
  • Princess wardrobe area and Princess Plus option 

I know it would cost more, but hey, what a ship that would be! ( For me anyway!)

• Like 2

All the big players are building more innovative and dynamic ships with more to do for all ages. P&O ships just do not excite us travelling with children. I suppose i dont know where they fit apart from british market where people think we just like average. For example the great british seaside and caravans. To me a dated concept that needs improvement. 

. RCL style prominade. An area for people to mingle and watch world go by.

.NCL entertainment. Cirque de soleil was amazing.

.just a set price, non of this saver or select just a straight price. Hate going oh thats a good deal and then says based on two sharing, add a child and boom lots more.

.Free soft drinks package for children.

.A smart ship features, like princess medallion.

.Stop the excessive price mark up for school holiday date cruises. Such a huge difference for us families.

However i do love the flights included package for the Caribbean, but not the "school holiday" prices. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NaomiW said:

Out of interest, what more do they offer for suite passengers on other lines that they don't on P&O? I've never tried a suite on another line

With our Celebrity suite, we get Premium Drinks package, fast WiFi, dedicated restaurant, dedicated sun deck, dedicated bar and $300 dollars each OBC. Our cruise around the U.K. equates to the same price as our Caribbean one with P&O which only offers the Epicurean breakfast, though I appreciate there are flights included with P&O. However what you get with Celebrity far exceeds P&O.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'd like to see some individuality return to the ships.

I used to like it when there were different restaurants on each ship, like the Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora, The Orchid on Arcadia, and Cafe Jardin on good old Oceana.

Nowadays, most of the venues are the same like Sindhu and the Beach House. I like both, but I would like less 'cloning'

Great suggestion, Al Fresco on Oriana was a particular favourite for us. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Wowzz.

I cannot understand why people could actually take pride in being tightwads.

You only live once so make the most of your cruise if you can afford it.

I enjoyed the Elite mini bar set up on Grand Princess on our last cruise and it would be nice if P&O gave a little more thought in rewarding their most loyal passengers.

It’s not bad when there’s just the two of us, but when we first started cruising with 3 teenagers, we had to be careful with onboard spending. I don’t drink alcohol and my husband drinks very little so our drinks spending is very very low. We hardly buy any photos now and I’m just not interested in the shops onboard. But we do spend on excursions and as I said before, I would love to see packages and better offers for families. I just remember the cost of 3 excursions in St P (not P&O granted but the same principle) over two days multiplied by 5!! And the five of us to the Eastern Med over 17 days. We did push the boat out but if they do drink packages, which don’t interest us, then why not shorex packages. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

From a personal point of view and because I am disabled I would like to see some Shapemaster Gym Equipment in the gym.

It is powered assisted gym equipment that is a massive help to many people who are disabled, older, recovering from a stroke or any other long term illness. 

I am lucky enough to live only a 10 min drive to where this is available and I use it approx four times a week. You get a full body work out in 30 mins.

I imagine on a world cruise where there are many older people this could be a massive help especially to those who find it difficult to use ordinary gym equipment. They only take a small area too. 

Michelle

I think that is a great idea Michelle.

Before my mild heart attack in December 2019 I would use the ships weight machines most days and often there is hardly anyone else in the gym using the weight machines or the treadmills so to add the machines you want could be easily accommodated and bring more people into the gym which would be nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, I was obviously not passing comment on those who are not spending money due to medical conditions.

As to tight waddery, I have to say that when I saw someone buy a small bottle of water in the MDR, pour half of it, and then ask for the bottle to be kept for the next night, that I realised that I lived in a different world to some  people.

LOL,did he ask for an ice bucket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

I know it would cost more, but hey, what a ship that would be! ( For me anyway!)

Isn't that the point. Virtually everything that people are asking for, is available on one ship or another, but at a cost.

Alternatively, you pay for "free" extras through increased fares, or other people pay for you. Free soft drinks for children ? Why? Someone somewhere has to pay for that, and I don't see why it should be me.

How about this - and I know Easy tried to do it some time ago. You pay a fare based on your cabin grade. Everything else is chargeable. No free drinks, meals etc. So, you pay for what you  consume, which seems fair.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

Make it so that the drinks package doesn't need to be bought by everyone in the cabin. Also the service in the mdr for the tables for two, make the service quicker for those that don't want loads of courses. Better selection in the shops.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, emam said:

Also the service in the mdr for the tables for two, make the service quicker for those that don't want loads of courses.

Surely that is already available at a two top ?

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Surely that is already available at a two top ?

No, they serve you along with some other two top tables as if they were one big table. When we went one day, the table next to us had waited ten minutes for them to take their order. They then served three tables at the same time.

• Like 1

One thing I would like, which wouldn’t cost a penny, is for a change in atmosphere among the staff.  I was going to use the word relaxation but thought that might be misinterpreted as the whole ship becoming more casual, which I don’t want.

It always feels to me that public-facing staff are looking over their shoulder to ensure their manager is happy, and managers are watching their crew, ready to pounce.  Roles and tasks are strictly defined - no blurring, even when it would be to the pax’ advantage.

I like on other lines where I see white-clad officers stacking and clearing buffet tables.  I hate it on P&O when I’m taking an early stroll on deck and I see a ‘middle manager’ walk past discarded cocktail glasses which some scruffy pax has left.  I pick the bloody things up myself!

I’d take for ever to describe this properly but I wonder if anyone agrees with what I am trying to describe?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emam said:

No, they serve you along with some other two top tables as if they were one big table. When we went one day, the table next to us had waited ten minutes for them to take their order. They then served three tables at the same time.

OK - personally we enjoy a relaxed meal service, so never been a problem. 10 minutes is not a long time in terms of a meal in the MDR. You can always explain to your waiter that you want to be in and out in 20 minutes, and they will try and speed things up for you. 

If we ever know we need a speedy meal, we just go to the buffet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, emam said:

Better selection in the shops.

Although that is a franchisee issue, rather than P&O.

I suppose they stock what they know will sell, given limited inventory space.

48 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

One thing I would like, which wouldn’t cost a penny, is for a change in atmosphere among the staff.  I was going to use the word relaxation but thought that might be misinterpreted as the whole ship becoming more casual, which I don’t want.

It always feels to me that public-facing staff are looking over their shoulder to ensure their manager is happy, and managers are watching their crew, ready to pounce.  Roles and tasks are strictly defined - no blurring, even when it would be to the pax’ advantage.

I like on other lines where I see white-clad officers stacking and clearing buffet tables.  I hate it on P&O when I’m taking an early stroll on deck and I see a ‘middle manager’ walk past discarded cocktail glasses which some scruffy pax has left.  I pick the bloody things up myself!

I’d take for ever to describe this properly but I wonder if anyone agrees with what I am trying to describe?

I agree totally Eddie, I am always amazed at the difference between Celebrity restaurant staff and P&O. On X the head waiters and the assistant Maitre'Ds always lead by example, this results in a much more customer focused approach than the "do as I order' approach on P&O, where the waiters only jump to it, when a senior officer is around.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

The great thing about cruising is the individuality of the people on board. Some enjoy the more formal and some enjoy a more laid back service. Some enjoy the thrills and spills of waterslides, iceskating, go carts some enjoy sitting by pool nice and quiet reading a book. The good thing is there are cruises for all, with some companies having a mixture of ships.

So i would like to see P&O expand their fleet by introducing more spills and thrills for those of us who like a more active, entertaining cruise. I feel like the vast majority of their ships are a little mainstream down the middle.

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

OK - personally we enjoy a relaxed meal service, so never been a problem. 10 minutes is not a long time in terms of a meal in the MDR. You can always explain to your waiter that you want to be in and out in 20 minutes, and they will try and speed things up for you. 

If we ever know we need a speedy meal, we just go to the buffet.

We find the full meal too much. If you don't want a starter you have to wait until the other tables have had theirs before they serve all of you the main course. We do now tend to use the buffet and go at 8:30 when it's very quiet in there. It's just not the same as being served. I'm not complaining, I just answered the question Kalos asked.

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although that is a franchisee issue, rather than P&O.

I suppose they stock what they know will sell, given limited inventory space.

But P&O allow them onboard. Do they actually sell much.

Edited by emam
Spelling

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I have frequently seen officers muck in on P&O but as I only sail on their smaller ships that may be the difference. That is P&Os problem as I see it. Different ships have completely different atmospheres so someone saying they don't like P&O for one reason or another may just have chosen the wrong ship for them. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Isn't that the point. Virtually everything that people are asking for, is available on one ship or another, but at a cost.

I fully agree Wowzz. When asking what can be done to improve P&O , wishful thinking I know

but we have everything from scrap the P&O port at Southampton to give us a brand new ship,

which with the likes of Vera coming along ,that wish has been granted . Things like can we 

have just one drinks package card  is always going to be a non starter .Can anyone honestly 

say I will only get my drinks as for my hubby /Mrs they will have to buy their own !  Very few

and far between me thinks :classic_unsure: Going onto the officers in white ,we were having a meal once 

and on the next table to us was a young couple and their baby laid in a pram started to cry .

The mum went to comfort the baby but an officer  intervened by saying " Please sit down 

and enjoy your meal " He stood there nursing the baby for the rest of the meal.

Things do not have to cost the earth to improve P&O. Some little things go so far to making 

a cruise better and we never forget them .

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

I fully agree Wowzz. When asking what can be done to improve P&O , wishful thinking I know

but we have everything from scrap the P&O port at Southampton to give us a brand new ship,

which with the likes of Vera coming along ,that wish has been granted . Things like can we 

have just one drinks package card  is always going to be a non starter .Can anyone honestly 

say I will only get my drinks as for my hubby /Mrs they will have to buy their own !  Very few

and far between me thinks :classic_unsure: Going onto the officers in white ,we were having a meal once 

and on the next table to us was a young couple and their baby laid in a pram started to cry .

The mum went to comfort the baby but an officer  intervened by saying " Please sit down 

Things do not have to cost the earth to improve P&O. Some little things go so far to making 

I agree - Service levels and treating the customer as an individual that counts for so much as it can wipe away little niggles. After all we are on holiday and I for one want to relax and be looked after. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I have frequently seen officers muck in on P&O but as I only sail on their smaller ships that may be the difference. That is P&Os problem as I see it. Different ships have completely different atmospheres so someone saying they don't like P&O for one reason or another may just have chosen the wrong ship for them. 

But the crews rotate regularly, so there should be uniformity of service across the fleet. I have also seen senior staff clear tables, but it's so rare it does stand out in your memory.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Good points Kalos.

Personally I check before booking what each ship has or doesn't have so we know what to expect.

For me like I said previously Loyalty benefits are the only issue I have with P&O especially in comparison to our Royal Caribbean benefits.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Things like can we 

and far between me thinks :classic_unsure: 

Yes I can honestly say that. On a two week cruise I only had one alcoholic drink. Though I know most people on here will find that odd.  It's easy enough to hand over two cards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good points Kalos.

Personally I check before booking what each ship has or doesn't have so we know what to expect.

For me like I said previously Loyalty benefits are the only issue I have with P&O especially in comparison to our Royal Caribbean benefits.

Graham.

A very sensible approach Graham and book what suits . To be fair to P&O, I think their loyalty

is a bit better than what you would get from TUI cruisers .:classic_unsure: Having said that there is nothing

wrong in you wishing for better :classic_smile:

• Like 1