US to UK- Entry rules?

Smitheroo

I've been doing some research as the date to send in the balance of my fare gets closer.  Looking at recent information I found, the US is on the UK's "amber list".  This means that pasengers arriving from the U.S. must do the covid testing protecol but also must quarantine for 10 days. Seriously? Is Cunard going to tell passengers this requirement or is it up to individuals to know what is required of them?   Unless this rule changes by Jan 3, 2022, and it could, I wont be on that sailing. By cancelling, I lose $214.  By going I will have to pay for a 10 day quarantine plus the covid tests (those I'm not questioning)which will be over $1,000(not counting my fare of course) according to the info I have read.    Please correct me if this information is wrong or outdated

30 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I've been doing some research as the date to send in the balance of my fare gets closer.  Looking at recent information I found, the US is on the UK's "amber list".  This means that pasengers arriving from the U.S. must do the covid testing protecol but also must quarantine for 10 days. Seriously? Is Cunard going to tell passengers this requirement or is it up to individuals to know what is required of them?   Unless this rule changes by Jan 3, 2022, and it could, I wont be on that sailing. By cancelling, I lose $214.  By going I will have to pay for a 10 day quarantine plus the covid tests (those I'm not questioning)which will be over $1,000(not counting my fare of course) according to the info I have read.    Please correct me if this information is wrong or outdated

No one knows what the protocols will be by January, but I have a friend who came over from Miami last Tuesday with her children to see grandparents.

They had test before they flew and had to quarantine at her parents house and were phoned every day. She paid for a Test to Release Covid test on the fifth ( full) day, which was Sunday and they were able to end quarantine as they were negative.

@Smitheroo, I think it's pretty safe to say that until the US moves to the UK's "green list", cruises between the US and the UK won't be happening. I think the assumption is that step (as well as the lifting of several other restrictions pertaining to travel in general and cruising in particular between the US and the UK) will have to happen before QM2's schedule can resume.

• Like 1

I did a little more research and learned that you only have to book a quarantine hotel package if you are coming from a country on the red list. This package would be almost $2,000  Coming from a country on the amber list, you still have to quarantine for a minimum of 5 days if you do the procedure described in one of the comments. So if you are not visiting relatives where you can quarantine then you must quarantine in a hotel for 5 days. Dont think that would be much fun.   I will wait until the end of August and then my decision will have to be made but it looks like I will be cancelling.  

12 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

..... Is Cunard going to tell passengers this requirement or is it up to individuals to know what is required of them?  

I believe that it is up to the individuals to be responsible for all requirements that pertain to them and do due diligence.

Cunard can't be expected to 'hand hold' every passenger on every cruise.

Fortunately for you, you have anticipated the problems and can now make an informed decision.🙂

4 hours ago, Glenndale said:

I believe that it is up to the individuals to be responsible for all requirements that pertain to them and do due diligence.

Cunard can't be expected to 'hand hold' every passenger on every cruise.

Fortunately for you, you have anticipated the problems and can now make an informed decision.🙂

Since they are sailing from the US to the UK (I'm referring to the 3 Jan 2022 sailing) it would have been considerate of them to include in any email they send concerning changes to the voyage that passengers should be aware of the UK's entry regulations concerning Covid.   Anyone on that ship, US citizen/resident or not,  at that time will be subject to these if they've spent any time in the US.    Since Southampton is the final destination of the 3 Jan 2022 voyage due to cancellation of the world cruise everyone on that ship will be affected.   So yes, they should tell passengers.

• Like 1

If so, do you realize you will be expected to quarantine after arrival in England for at least 5 days?  I'm not 100% sure this regulation applies  to UK residents returning,   Of course this is assuming that the situation doesnt change when Cunard resumes sailing.Restrictions could be lifted or they could be more strict.  

Entry rules are changing regularly at the moment, I don't believe any cruise line is making passengers aware of current requirements when their cruise is more than 6 months away.

A lot can happen in that time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Since they are sailing from the US to the UK (I'm referring to the 3 Jan 2022 sailing) it would have been considerate of them to include in any email they send concerning changes to the voyage that passengers should be aware of the UK's entry regulations concerning Covid.   Anyone on that ship, US citizen/resident or not,  at that time will be subject to these if they've spent any time in the US.    Since Southampton is the final destination of the 3 Jan 2022 voyage due to cancellation of the world cruise everyone on that ship will be affected.   So yes, they should tell passengers.

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Entry rules are changing regularly at the moment, I don't believe any cruise line is making passengers aware of current requirements when their cruise is more than 6 months away.

Exactly this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

The cruise might be 6 months away but the balance of my fare is due in 2 months. I will have to make my decision at the last minute (end of August) based on the restrictions in place at that time when I will only lose my nonrefundable deposit of $214. 

Edited by Smitheroo

4 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

If so, do you realize you will be expected to quarantine after arrival in England for at least 5 days?  I'm not 100% sure this regulation applies  to UK residents returning,   Of course this is assuming that the situation doesnt change when Cunard resumes sailing.Restrictions could be lifted or they could be more strict.  

This was part of a new thread I made   "Any US Residents Here?"   It was merged into this thread by the title was not, making my post a little confusing.    I am curious to know if there are any US Residents on this forum and if so, are they aware of this quarantine rule in effect at the present time

We have a slightly different worry cruising the other way (Nov 14th Crossing), where we need to be "double jabbed" to sail, but at the moment the AZ vaccine, which both Jane and myself have had, isn't recognised in the US.  I assume this will change, but it is a worry.

So you make the final payment and then in October the 10 day quarantine is still in effect. I would imagine the cruise would be cancelled. My flight from sfo to LRH  gets in 4 days before the cruise 

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Presumably people only bother with a nation's current quarantine rules if they are hoping to visit in the fairly imminent future. Otherwise there is not a lot of point.

It becomes important if your balance is soon due.  

9 hours ago, oskidunker said:

So you make the final payment and then in October the 10 day quarantine is still in effect. I would imagine the cruise would be cancelled. My flight from sfo to LRH  gets in 4 days before the cruise 

why would the cruise be cancelled if the quarantine is still in effect?  

13 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

The cruise might be 6 months away but the balance of my fare is due in 2 months. I will have to make my decision at the last minute (end of August) based on the restrictions in place at that time when I will only lose my nonrefundable deposit of $214. 

As the US is not significantly behind the UK in terms of percentage of population vaccinated (although the gap is widening by day) I would be confident a travel corridor will be established by the time you come to pay your deposit. Two months is a long time in pandemic terms.

The UK Transport Minister has stated it is being progressed and there is the political will, the complexity would appear to be around the US not having a standard vaccination certification and a common UK approved vaccine not being recognised in the US.

Having worked closely with the UK Transport Minister, he isn't one to dangle the carrot unless he is confident he can deliver.

Just saw this mentioned in a live blog in The Telegraph covering the PM's announcements today about the road ahead for the UK from July 19.

"Fully vaccinated adults will not have to isolate after arriving from an amber country but details will be set out later this week."

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Just saw this mentioned in a live blog in The Telegraph covering the PM's announcements today about the road ahead for the UK from July 19.

"Fully vaccinated adults will not have to isolate after arriving from an amber country but details will be set out later this week."

But I think it has to be reciprocal. I don't see QM2 sailing if the border isn't open.

23 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But I think it has to be reciprocal. I don't see QM2 sailing if the border isn't open.

Absolutely. As I alluded to in my first reply, there are other issues pertaining to travel in general and cruising in particular between the US and the UK which will need to be resolved before QM2 crossings can resume.

3 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

I’ve had no word that that voyage will not happen.

We're booked on that trip, too. I'm sure Cunard, at the moment, is proceeding with the assumption that the trip will go.

However, in order for it to operate, considerable relaxation will have to take place to both the US and UK international travel regulations. Not to mention that Belgium's and the Netherlands' COVID border regulations need to stay at their current relatively relaxed requirements. That there is a US/UK International Travel Working Group is a good sign. I just hope they can come to a mutual agreement in time for the December trips to take place. We still have 5 months... lots can happen in that time. Keep your fingers crossed.

• Like 1