Flying home?

Fredr500

I'm on the Scarlet Lady 10/10-10/15. While I'm still looking for a 7+ day to tack on the end I'm booking air for what I have booked.

SWA has an amazing price but it leaves from FLL at 11:05. If I arrange my own transfer (probably Uber or Lyft) does this seem doable? I know most other lines I can do a walkoff and be off by 7:30. 

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Fredr500 said:

I'm on the Scarlet Lady 10/10-10/15. While I'm still looking for a 7+ day to tack on the end I'm booking air for what I have booked.

SWA has an amazing price but it leaves from FLL at 11:05. If I arrange my own transfer (probably Uber or Lyft) does this seem doable? I know most other lines I can do a walkoff and be off by 7:30. 

Thoughts?

You are cutting it pretty close-If everything goes PERFECT....If you are daring..Then...Well.. Not me, I leave plenty of extra room for Murphys law..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fredr500 said:

SWA has an amazing price but it leaves from FLL at 11:05. If I arrange my own transfer (probably Uber or Lyft) does this seem doable?

On a weekend, sure, not so sure about a weekday. The diff between MIA and FLL drivetime is less than 30 min, most of the time.

I think you can make it fine if the ship debarks on time.  Plenty of ubers at the miami terminal and it's about a 30-40 minute trip.  You'll have to be one of the first to disembark and carry all your luggage off the ship with you.  TSA precheck would also be a help.  But one of the advertised perks of VV is that you can make a leisurely exit after breakfast unlike the others that kick everyone off by 830-9.  Anyway, I've done it as a solo traveler a few times and knock on wood have made it with time to spare.

I've dropped off a friend at FLL on a 6am return to Port of Miami by 9am...and I parked in a garage in downtown Miami and had to take a shuttle there to get my car.

I've also been stopped by CBP on exit from the Terminal and had my luggage hand searched. Approximately 1 hour total.

I also had an incident where I had to call Uber 3 times because I got cancelled twice by the drivers. Approximately 1 hour.

I've had the entire ship held for an hour on debarkation for undisclosed reasons.

Medical emergencies first. Then law enforcement for whomever landed in the brig. CBP anytime.

Lot could happen.

• Like 1

I think if you're Ubering MIA to FLL (only 30 mi. mostly highway) on the weekend you will have plenty of time.  If it's a weekday you still have quite a bit of time to make it but have less leeway for any unexpected circumstances. I would definitely line up early in this case for the walk-off.  I would do it either way and roll the dice if the airfare and flight times are that good. - BZ

FYI VV's FAQ specifically notes the following on this topic, note they say MIA, not FLL.

What's the earliest recommended flight departure after my voyage?
We recommend booking a flight out of MIA with a departure time no earlier than 12 PM.

Thanks for your comments. I book the FLL flights it saved hundreds of dollars vs later FLL or MIA. Worst case we pay a premium for a later flight and/or spend an extra day or two in FL.