No character meet and greets?

jrbeccles

I'm quite late to look at "My Activities" for my September 2021 four day Dream cruise, but was putting off final payment until I felt the ship would sail. 

So when I went to the activities listings today to book things, I had no problems with martini tasting, wine tasting etc, but there were NO character meet and greets listed. I did see a number of activities that were labeled "sold out", so either they have not listed the character M&Gs yet, or there are truly sold out already and removed from the list. 

Any ideas folks? Ideas about how to find out? I did book directly with Disney

2 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

I'm quite late to look at "My Activities" for my September 2021 four day Dream cruise, but was putting off final payment until I felt the ship would sail. 

So when I went to the activities listings today to book things, I had no problems with martini tasting, wine tasting etc, but there were NO character meet and greets listed. I did see a number of activities that were labeled "sold out", so either they have not listed the character M&Gs yet, or there are truly sold out already and removed from the list. 

Any ideas folks? Ideas about how to find out? I did book directly with Disney

Because DCL secretiveness it's hard to tell if this is part of their COVID measures or if meet and greets are discontinued.

That having been said, if this is your first time, know that at least in Pre-Covid there were literally dozens of opportunities for character meetups and pictures. Reserved meet and greets are absolutely unnecessary IMO.

• Like 2

Thanks Coldflame. Actually this will be our seventh Disney cruise. I thought we would reserve the Princesses M&G to get yet more snapshots of us with them. But as you said its really no big deal - I was just confused as to why there were not any on the activities reservation site. 

Also I was going to pre-purchase a wine package, but the site says its only good through Sept 10th. Found that very strange as the ship won't even start cruising ( theoretically) for another month. So I'll just buy it when I get on board.

11 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

Thanks Coldflame. Actually this will be our seventh Disney cruise. I thought we would reserve the Princesses M&G to get yet more snapshots of us with them. But as you said its really no big deal - I was just confused as to why there were not any on the activities reservation site. 

Also I was going to pre-purchase a wine package, but the site says its only good through Sept 10th. Found that very strange as the ship won't even start cruising ( theoretically) for another month. So I'll just buy it when I get on board.

Well their plans to start test/mock cruises was scrubbed last week and will retry again in coming weeks (exact date, of course, only known to DCL). So that could push back re-start of revenue cruises for a couple of weeks and they still haven't caught up in the business backend. But given said secretiveness, it's speculation what could be going on.

• Like 1

When I was able to book activities a few weeks ago for our September cruise on the Fantasy, there were not character meet and greets or character breakfasts listed.    They did offer the Royal tea (or so other guests told me, we are not sailing with a child this trip).      I think we just have to wait and see how things progress - I'm not at all convinced we will sail in September.  😪

Say it ain't so kstetser - we are going stir crazy and if they cancel our Sept cruise that would not be good!

i was curious if anyone knew when the online check in starts? Is it 30 days before sail date? Supposedly we will be notifies but Id like to have an idea of when it may start 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:13 PM, kstetser said:

When I was able to book activities a few weeks ago for our September cruise on the Fantasy, there were not character meet and greets or character breakfasts listed.    They did offer the Royal tea (or so other guests told me, we are not sailing with a child this trip).      I think we just have to wait and see how things progress - I'm not at all convinced we will sail in September.  😪

Everything in the world of cruising is in a state of flux ... things can (and will) change tomorrow ... next week ... next month ... 

• Like 1

bigmjh is correct - I just talked to DCL regarding things on my 9/13 cruise and got the following:

1. When will online check in take place?  DCL  said - not sure yet but likely 30 days prior to the cruise

2. Will DCL send out notification that online check in is available?  DCL said -  - probably not

3. No character M&G's or 5K on "Activities" . DCL said - probably no M&G on the "Activities" as they are still accessing the situation. 

4. Will DCL be requiring proof of vaccination? DCL said - unsure at this point

So everything at DCL is still in flux. As for me I really ont care as long as they sail on 9/13!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, jrbeccles said:

bigmjh is correct - I just talked to DCL regarding things on my 9/13 cruise and got the following:

1. When will online check in take place?  DCL  said - not sure yet but likely 30 days prior to the cruise

2. Will DCL send out notification that online check in is available?  DCL said -  - probably not

3. No character M&G's or 5K on "Activities" . DCL said - probably no M&G on the "Activities" as they are still accessing the situation. 

4. Will DCL be requiring proof of vaccination? DCL said - unsure at this point

So everything at DCL is still in flux. As for me I really ont care as long as they sail on 9/13!!

Disney is so expensive and the meet and greets was a hard sell for me.   I really am torn but will be moving my August cruise to next year.   (I cant even get a confirmation about the kids clubs for under 12 year olds-- which again is a huge draw for us. 

Checking my itinerary for Sept 6 I see that online check-in will begin 30 days prior.  I also see that you have to book the kids club in 2.5 hour blocks (1.5 on boarding day) and that you can only book one block per day as of this writing.

So the good news is that my 9/13 sailing on the Dream is on!! Now there are some things I'm not too keen on - having to wear a mask indoors while walking around and presumably in the theater and movies etc. No deck parties (and i guess no sail away show) and a booking for the fireworks. However the DW and I are both vaccinated, so no testing needed for us. Plus we are used to wearing a mask and its no big deal now. So while it wont be the same experience as normal, at least we are on the ship and having fun. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got off the first and second sailings of the Dream. They had characters out frequently- they were listed as something like "character waves". Guests could walk up to the characters and talk to them from 3ish feet away- but no hugging/touching and no autographs. People could take photos with their phones. Sometimes in the evenings Disney had a photographer out with the characters as well.

We are book Sept 4th.....but told we can't book anything until on the cruise ship.....so many things in work and can understand all of this...I'm sure it is limited capacity so shouldn't be an issue.....have cruised on another line and still similar issues July/August....

On 8/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, LizzyDragon said:

I just got off the first and second sailings of the Dream. They had characters out frequently- they were listed as something like "character waves". Guests could walk up to the characters and talk to them from 3ish feet away- but no hugging/touching and no autographs. People could take photos with their phones. Sometimes in the evenings Disney had a photographer out with the characters as well.

Was there a pirate party? Were children allowed in the clubs?  

On 8/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, GrandmaHofmann said:

Was there a pirate party? Were children allowed in the clubs?  

No pirate parties. They had a super scaled down pirate night- mostly just the different menu in the dining rooms and characters in pirate garb. Children’s clubs were open, except for the nursery. 

On 7/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, serene56 said:

Disney is so expensive and the meet and greets was a hard sell for me.   I really am torn but will be moving my August cruise to next year.   (I cant even get a confirmation about the kids clubs for under 12 year olds-- which again is a huge draw for us. 

I emailed  Disney.  There will be many characters walking about and you can take pictures with them but you have to be three feet away from them.  You can take your own pictures or have them taken but no crew member will touch your camera. So mostly, you will have the character behind you.  No autographs.  However, he said that may change by my cruise date which is not until December 5. As to clubs, 30 days ahead, you can book times for your kids.

7 hours ago, LizzyDragon said:

No pirate parties. They had a super scaled down pirate night- mostly just the different menu in the dining rooms and characters in pirate garb. Children’s clubs were open, except for the nursery. 

Disney told me that there was a Buccaneer Blast instead, fireworks. But that that could change back to pirate night

2 hours ago, LizzyDragon said:

The first two cruises had fireworks, but no “Buccaneer Blast” that I was aware of. 

I think "Buccaneer Blast" is just what they're calling that night.   Probably referring to the pirate theming and the fireworks.  Not really a show.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 4 days on the Dream. There are characters everywhere!! All the time - in the dining rooms, in the Atrium, walking on deck 4, on the island - it was non stop. While you can't stand next to them, plenty of nice photo oportunities all day

• Like 1