Newbie Question

LP987

We are planning our first small ship cruise and our first 14 day cruise on Odyssey from Barbados in February. It stops on a new island every day. Is it common to schedule excursion every day?  I think I read they offer some free excursions, what type activity is typical on these?  How often do they have the Marina out so you can do activities off back of boat?  We enjoy a few ship days so I’m wondering how we do it. Thank you!!

There are no free excursions on Seabourn that I'm aware of.

We're booked on one of the Odyssey cruises from Barbados in September. We've booked excursions on most but not all port days. There's one sea day on our trip, so that's a ship day. One day in St. Kitts is the "Caviar in the Surf" event which is an excellent beach day with lobsters, caviar, champagne (and all manner of food and drink), so we bypassed excursions on that day.

There's nothing wrong with opting out of excursions some days and simply enjoying the ship. On the other hand, most of the excursions are only 2-4 hours in the morning, so even if you take and excursion, you can enjoy time onboard for the other half of the day. I don't think the marina on the back of the ship is operational most days.

No more Seabourn events except for Caviar in the surf.

Marina day (usually 1 per cruise) depends on sea conditions - a lot of times it was cancelled.

Should not be a selling point any more due to lack of actual opportunities.

How do you know which day is caviar in the surf?  We are booked on the 2 week Barbados trip July 25 - August 8 and we have two separate days in St. Kitts.  On the first, we booked a ship excursion; on the second, we have no planned excursion.  How do we know which day is caviar in the surf?  thanks.

26 minutes ago, Borna said:

How do you know which day is caviar in the surf?  We are booked on the 2 week Barbados trip July 25 - August 8 and we have two separate days in St. Kitts.  On the first, we booked a ship excursion; on the second, we have no planned excursion.  How do we know which day is caviar in the surf?  thanks.

I am on a similar 2 week Barbados cruise in March 2022 (and was slated to be on the March 2020 version) so I’ve done some research on this one. I believe the two days are the Carambola Beach and Mayreau days. In both cases day 6 of the 7 day cruise options.

This is to be my first Seabourn adventure so the wonderful experts on here will correct me if I have that wrong.

Edited by Navis

In my experience, the marina is used infrequently in the Caribbean. We've been doing a Caribbean cruise with SB nearly every year for around 10 years and on our cruises there has never been an actual marina day, I've only ever seen it in the Mediterranean.

It's highly dependent on suitable anchorage, sea and weather conditions. We may just have been unlucky! 

There will be water toys available on beach BBQ/Caviar in the Surf days but at least on our cruises they were not used directly off the marina. 

Edited by Isklaar

On 7/1/2021 at 9:49 PM, LP987 said:

Thank you all very much for info. Is there typically one BBQ/Caviar day per week?  

Yes for the 7 day Caribbean itineraries.  I’ve looked at these and St Kitts will be that day each week.  It’s generally one per itinerary, not per week so if you are doing a back-to-back then you’d have one for each segment.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:42 PM, Isklaar said:

In my experience, the marina is used infrequently in the Caribbean. We've been doing a Caribbean cruise with SB nearly every year for around 10 years and on our cruises there has never been an actual marina day, I've only ever seen it in the Mediterranean.

It's highly dependent on suitable anchorage, sea and weather conditions. We may just have been unlucky! 

There will be water toys available on beach BBQ/Caviar in the Surf days but at least on our cruises they were not used directly off the marina. 

When there is a Caviar in the Surf beach day, they don't make use of the marina. They take all the stuff, toys, etc to the beach. 

I think Marina day alone is a pain for the crew because so many people are involved in organization and safety. If the weather is not 100% perfect they will take it off the list.

2 minutes ago, M&PGermany said:

When there is a Caviar in the Surf beach day, they don't make use of the marina. They take all the stuff, toys, etc to the beach. 

I think Marina day alone is a pain for the crew because so many people are involved in organization and safety. If the weather is not 100% perfect they will take it off the list.

I'm not sure why you quoted me here ? Your first two sentences, I believe that is the same as I wrote in my post. So we are in agreement, no?

48 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I'm not sure why you quoted me here ? Your first two sentences, I believe that is the same as I wrote in my post. So we are in agreement, no?

Total agreement. That's the reason why I quoted you - not to contradict you.

Agreed? 😉

• Like 1