Cruise cancellation extended until 17th December 2021

Both Princess Cruises and P&O Australia have now cancelled cruises till 19 and 17th December 2021: 😞

Here is the announcement from P&O Australia:

Hi everyone, we would like to provide an update on our operations from P&O Cruises Australia’s President Sture Myrmell:
 With the ongoing uncertainty in relation to a pathway for the resumption of domestic cruising in Australia, we are today announcing an extension to our pause in cruise operations for a further three months until 17 December 2021.

The extension to P&O’s voluntary pause applies to cruises scheduled to depart from 17 September to on or before the new date of 17 December 2021. Our team will make contact with all guests whose cruises are affected by the extension of the pause.

Our industry has for some time been discussing the restart of domestic cruising with government authorities with a view to achieving an agreed framework to move forward.

Like you, we look forward to a pathway being in place for cruises that carry Australian residents on Australian itineraries.

Here is the announcement from Princess Princess Cruises:       

COMPANY UPDATE: Due to continued uncertainty regarding the timing for the resumption of cruise holidays in the region, we are cancelling cruises around Australia & New Zealand through December 19, 2021.

We appreciate your continued support and patience as we look forward to the day we can resume sailing.          

More details: https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/australia-cruise-holidays-cancelled-through-december-2021-au.html

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

Thanks Stu, at least those who are booked with Princess or P&O Aus know now our cruises won't go ahead. It's not unexpected but we can hopefully look forward to 2022 or even 2023. We have completed the request form for the same cruise next year. If we had to pay the 2022 prices, it would cost an extra $1620. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Princess to get back to us.

Leigh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Stu, at least those who are booked with Princess or P&O Aus know now our cruises won't go ahead. It's not unexpected but we can hopefully look forward to 2022 or even 2023. We have completed the request form for the same cruise next year. If we had to pay the 2022 prices, it would cost an extra $1620. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Princess to get back to us.

Leigh

Same here Leigh it's $1800 extra for me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Thanks for this. I have also requested a move to 2022. Same cabin is $3300 extra.

Cheers

Tanya

• Like 1

We booked the October Tassie cruise just so we could try Sapphire Princess. The replacement cruise is on Majestic. Been there, done that, so we'll be taking the FCC option. Besides the replacement Cunard cruise we just booked for Dec 2022 goes to Tasmania.

It  good to see Princess is offering replacement cruises at the original prices. I wish Cunard had done that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clairebearinaus said:

I wonder why 2 lines in the Carnival group have cancelled, but the Carnival line itself has not?

Carnival had already cancelled until late November. They are currently changing their Pacific Island itineraries January toMarch 2022 to local itineraries only.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We had a Princess cruise to NZ booked for 18/11. The suggested replacement cruise is 4/11/22. We would prefer the same cruise 1/12/22.

Has everyone just accepted the proposed Princess date or had any success negotiating a different date?

Call them and see.

4 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We had a Princess cruise to NZ booked for 18/11. The suggested replacement cruise is 4/11/22. We would prefer the same cruise 1/12/22.

Has everyone just accepted the proposed Princess date or had any success negotiating a different date?

I would think Princess would be very firm on the date of the proposed replacement cruise. The only way you  could get an alternate date would be to use the FCC offered and then pay the full price of the cruise of your choice. Already people have indicated the increased costs are prohibitive. We are accepting the replacement cruise offered at a saving of $2150.

6 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I cannot see the major lines resuming cruising in Australia until late 2022, at the earliest. More likely late 2023.😡

The 2022 world cruisers are convinced they will be sailing out of  Sydney Harbour on Coral Princess for 108 days in May 2022. In their dreams.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The 2022 world cruisers are convinced they will be sailing out of  Sydney Harbour on Coral Princess for 108 days in May 2022. In their dreams.

Nah! Several people on the Roll Call for the 2022 WC have expressed doubts about the cruise and many others jumped ship during the last many months. I don't know of any booked who are convinced the cruise will go ahead.

Several months many of the 2022 cruisers booked on the 2023 cruise as a back up. This is what I have done. Over the last four months I have become increasingly doubtful about 2022. I might wait for Princess to cancel. There is usually some extra FCC added to the passengers account when this happens. It used to be 50%, now it is 10%.

I knew there was no way cruising would be allowed this year so I can stop stressing about the approaching final payment date.  We are on Nov PNG cruise and want to move to the same cruise in Nov 2022.  How do I make this happen?  Will Princess contact me?  Or should I wait for them to contact me?  I am sure our cabin would be much more expensive so I want the booked deal to be protected. 

1 hour ago, Tikibird said:

I knew there was no way cruising would be allowed this year so I can stop stressing about the approaching final payment date.  We are on Nov PNG cruise and want to move to the same cruise in Nov 2022.  How do I make this happen?  Will Princess contact me?  Or should I wait for them to contact me?  I am sure our cabin would be much more expensive so I want the booked deal to be protected. 

At 3pm Princess sent me an email about my cancelled cruise.  I think that other people may have received the email before me so hopefully you will get one by the end of tomorrow.

There was click here and go to online form buttons that you can use to go to the information.

I can only see one cruise in Nov for PNG on the Coral and it has an exact match of 17th of Nov 22 on the Coral. You can't choose as a replacement for your cruise any other so this deal  looks good for you.

I will be phoning Princess if I decide on this option.

We got emails from Princess this afternoon relating to out 1st Nov cruise, so I think you will get one either tonight or tomorrow. It sets out the replacement cruise that is offered at the same price and deals that applied to the cancelled one. Our replacement cruise is in January 2023 and it is obviously the same itinerary.

There is a link to the Princess announcement in the first post of this thread. Click on that and in the announcement it will tell you what to do. Here it is  - Princess Cancellation Announcement

In the third paragraph there is a link to an online form, click on it and complete by 31st July. Or alternatively I guess you could ring Princess.

I received an email from Princess this afternoon at 3pm which explains the alternatives for the cancellation of our cruise. The replacement for the Nov PNG cruise is the same cruise sailing from Brisbane 17th Nov 2022 on the Coral Princess. I had already completed the form and submitted it before midday. 

Edited by possum52

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Nah! Several people on the Roll Call for the 2022 WC have expressed doubts about the cruise and many others jumped ship during the last many months. I don't know of any booked who are convinced the cruise will go ahead.

Several months many of the 2022 cruisers booked on the 2023 cruise as a back up. This is what I have done. Over the last four months I have become increasingly doubtful about 2022. I might wait for Princess to cancel. There is usually some extra FCC added to the passengers account when this happens. It used to be 50%, now it is 10%.

Reading the wc rollcall posts on cc and book of faces, there are stll plenty convinced it is a goer.

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Reading the wc rollcall posts on cc and book of faces, there are stll plenty convinced it is a goer.

I only read the roll call, not the book. 🙂That's why I commented that few people think the 2022 WC will happen. Many have already cancelled, and many others have booked 2023 and are waiting for Princess to cancel 2022.

• Like 2

As I said in posts yesterday, I completed the online form to request the replacement cruise for next year. This morning, I had a phone call from a Princess Cruise Holiday Planner about the replacement cruise which she booked us on, (same cabin) and then sent me the booking confirmation which was not the amount of the cancelled cruise or the same promotions. It was the cost of the cruise as if we were making a new booking and the promotion was less than this year's. I have replied to her asking that it be fixed. I wonder how long it will take to do so. 

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

As I said in posts yesterday, I completed the online form to request the replacement cruise for next year. This morning, I had a phone call from a Princess Cruise Holiday Planner about the replacement cruise which she booked us on, (same cabin) and then sent me the booking confirmation which was not the amount of the cancelled cruise or the same promotions. It was the cost of the cruise as if we were making a new booking and the promotion was less than this year's. I have replied to her asking that it be fixed. I wonder how long it will take to do so. 

Maybe you have just received an initial confirmation of your re booked cruise. I would hope that when the dust settles you will receive further advice that reflects your price freeze and promotions and benefits.

14 minutes ago, NeilonBoard said:

Maybe you have just received an initial confirmation of your re booked cruise. I would hope that when the dust settles you will receive further advice that reflects your price freeze and promotions and benefits.

Perhaps. I checked my cruise planner and the cancelled cruise as well as the replacement one are both there. I would have thought that once the replacement cruise was booked the cancelled one would be taken off the planner.

20 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Perhaps. I checked my cruise planner and the cancelled cruise as well as the replacement one are both there. I would have thought that once the replacement cruise was booked the cancelled one would be taken off the planner.

I did forget to add that there is a deposit of $984 to be paid by July 17th which is highlighted in red!  I paid our cancelled cruise with FCDs.

Just off phone with TA... who just off phone with Princess.  now moved to replacement cruise on the Grand.... same cabin....( happy with that... as cabin is very important to us )..   

she will check next week as could be offers on upgrading....   

but really happy where we are....

so at least we have kept on FCC & FCD  which would have expired Dec 2022, 

so bit of no brainier to book the replacement cruise...

Don 

• Like 1