Any advice appreciated on what to do in Boston (and Cape Cod)

ontheweb

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

They actually had the Kingston Trio at the announcement 🙂

Just out of curiosity what year was that? Was the Kingston Trio actually still active at the time, or retired?

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't remember. I think it was announced in 2001 or 2002. I think I was still living in NY at the time.

I just remember LMAO when I heard the name, before even reading the story.

As always, Google is your friend. December 6. 2006.

when did the mbta announce the charlie charliecard - Google Search

I guess I could have done that earlier instead of asking you.😊

On 7/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, ontheweb said:

BTW, thank you for that piece of information; I would not have made that connection. And NY's subway does not have the same sense of humor.

NY Subway may not have a sense of humor but their library does. The New York Public Library Catalog is called CATNYP. 

• Haha 1

I have now reread this thread several times and want to thank each and every one of you who took the time to respond and answer my questions. I wish I had reread it just before we left and made notes. Maybe we would have tried the duck boats then.😉Even on days we wiped ourselves out, I'm sure they would have been relaxing.

We did take advantage of the directions to our hotel from the airport and saved the cab fare. That also led to us knowing where that nearby subway station was by the Hynes Convention Center. We took a cab back to the airport because we wanted to make sure the timing to catch our flight back was not messed up. I did notice an error I made in one of my later posts as the ride I found round trip was $80, not the $40 I posted later. When we took a cab back to the airport and I asked at the hotel about what the price should be, I was told $25-$30. It ended up $25.25 fare, $30 after I left a tip.

One place we might not have known that a few of you recommended was the Isabella Gardner Museum.

And again thanks to all of you.

• Like 1

LOL I bought a Charlie card earlier this morning. No not the one that keeps Charlie from riding forever 'neath the streets of Boston. Our nephew Charles, known as Charlie (well sometimes Chuck) has a birthday this month. I was at the Dollar store where cards are 2/$1 anyway buying the Sunday paper and a few odds and ends, so I bought a "Charlie Card".😊🤣

On 7/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, ontheweb said:

Just out of curiosity what year was that? Was the Kingston Trio actually still active at the time, or retired?

The Kingston Trio still performs.  The current members do a good job of filling the places of the original performers . . . and the ones that played in between.  None of the originals are active, not sure if any are still walking this earth.

I was unaware of any fees for beaches in Provincetown.  There are no gates or barriers to stop you from walking onto and enjoying the beaches there.  Heck, even the National Seashore beaches that have Fee parking lots don't stop walk ons for payment

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

The Kingston Trio still performs.  The current members do a good job of filling the places of the original performers . . . and the ones that played in between.  None of the originals are active, not sure if any are still walking this earth.

I was unaware of any fees for beaches in Provincetown.  There are no gates or barriers to stop you from walking onto and enjoying the beaches there.  Heck, even the National Seashore beaches that have Fee parking lots don't stop walk ons for payment

I was wondering how old they must be when I saw the you have been quoted reference and it said the Kingston Trio still perform. My first thought was they must be very old.🤦‍♂️

As for the charge for the beach, I was just going by what DW had said her experience was. She had went there with our son once previously with some bus tour group. I'm not sure how long ago that was.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I just looked it up (Google is your friend). The last surviving member of the Kingston Trio died last year at the age of 85.

Bob Shane, last original member of the Kingston Trio, dies at 85 - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

On 8/3/2021 at 10:47 AM, ontheweb said:

I just looked it up (Google is your friend). The last surviving member of the Kingston Trio died last year at the age of 85.

Bob Shane, last original member of the Kingston Trio, dies at 85 - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

There is at least one very good Kingston Trio concert available On Demand from one of the free services if you have a decent cable package, including a cameo from Bob Shane and other former members

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

There is at least one very good Kingston Trio concert available On Demand from one of the free services if you have a decent cable package, including a cameo from Bob Shane and other former members

I saw them in concert in 1961 and bought an album shortly thereafter.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Did Tom Dooley hang? Did Charlie have to ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston?

Boy those Good Old Days of Folk Songs.

Also have to remember John Henry driving Steel..... Green Green Grass of Home.....

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Also have to remember John Henry driving Steel..... Green Green Grass of Home.....

Yes, those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Did Tom Dooley hang? Did Charlie have to ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston?

Young people in 2021 have no idea about Folk Music .I play my old records for my grand kids but they are not interested.I did teach them about Classic Rock,however.

• Like 1

I really enjoy rereading this thread, and I am so grateful to the help that all of you provided.

One nice correction---I said in post #63 the pool according to the website on the hotel on our day trip this Friday is closed. I called them and asked about the pool and breakfast. The pool is open. (DW is happy about that) and they still have breakfast though it is the grab and go type.

And now a treat for all of you still following the thread:

Kingston Trio - Man who never returned (M.T.A.) - YouTube

Also read the comments such as my father was a conductor on the MTA and my brother said he was the one who would not let Charlie off; also why didn't his wife throw him a nickel so he could get off when she threw him a sandwich.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't ignore "Today" - by the New Christy Minstrels.

The fact that there are so many different opinions on the actual words of current hits indicates a certain lack of meaning to them.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Doing another trip today, much smaller. We are going to Lancaster, Pa. to Sight and Sound Theater. Since it is about a 3 1/2 hour drive each way, DW decided that was too long for me to drive in one day, so we are staying over. Maybe we will look at some things in the area the next morning.

BTW, today is our wedding anniversary #44. ( Way back in 1977, I figured forward when our Friday the 13th anniversaries would be. LOL).

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:58 AM, navybankerteacher said:

The fact that there are so many different opinions on the actual words of current hits indicates a certain lack of meaning to them.

I'm not sure that's accurate, and if you're referring to the Springsteen "controversy", there really isn't any.

What were the lyrics of Louie Louie, anyway?

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I'm not sure that's accurate, and if you're referring to the Springsteen "controversy", there really isn't any.

What were the lyrics of Louie Louie, anyway?

The simple fact that some people think there is a Springsteen "controversy" while others (you included) say "...there really isn't any."  is a controversy in itself.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Doing another trip today, much smaller. We are going to Lancaster, Pa. to Sight and Sound Theater. Since it is about a 3 1/2 hour drive each way, DW decided that was too long for me to drive in one day, so we are staying over. Maybe we will look at some things in the area the next morning.

BTW, today is our wedding anniversary #44. ( Way back in 1977, I figured forward when our Friday the 13th anniversaries would be. LOL).

I spent my High School years in Reading PA. Not too far from Lancaster is the Ephrata Cloister which is worth a visit and kind-a sort-a on your way home.  Another interesting place is Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site in Elverson, PA. Maybe a bit too far afield but it is again sort-a kind-a on your way home.

Happy Anniversary!

Edited by Traveling Library

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The simple fact that some people think there is a Springsteen "controversy" while others (you included) say "...there really isn't any."  is a controversy in itself.

If Landau says "sways", there's no controversy! 😀

Now changing the second "again" to "anymore" over 45 years...