Itinerary pointers for Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait and Ketchikan

JayFank

Our family of three -- Myself (38, male), wife (35) and daughter (7) -- will be cruising on Royal's Radiance of the Seas in May 2022. Prior to cruising, we will be visiting the Matanuska Glacier while in Anchorage and going to Seavey's dog sled camp in Seward.

For Juneau, I really want to do a Mendenhall Glacier hike/tour, however, age restrictions prevent us from doing so unless we travel via helicopter. The other option would be whale watching either with Harv and Marv or another company. Given we will be visiting Matanuska and get the full "glacier experience" by walking through crevasses, possible ice caves, etc., would a glacier tour via helicopter bring anything new other than the aerial views? Also, are there "better" glaciers to visit in Juneau other than Mendenhall?

For Skagway, we are considering the White Pass railroad, but are open to options.

For Icy Straight Point, we are going to do whale watching.

For Ketchikan, we plan on doing the Misty Fjords Flightseeing, but are open to which companies to use or other alternatives.

I don’t know how much time you have, but while visiting the Kenai Peninsula, for some nice things to do with your daughter, look into the Alaska Wild life Conservation Center https://www.alaskawildlife.org and Mt. Alyeska’s tram https://alyeskaresort.com/alyeska-aerial-tram/ .  You can also do a hike at Exit Glacier https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier-area.htm and a behind the scenes tour at the Seward Sealife Center https://www.alaskasealife.org . If you want to see glaciers, for sure look into the 26 Glacier Tour in Whittier.  https://phillipscruises.com .

Just wanted to add that you don’t need to use a helicopter to do a hike at Mendenhall glacier. They have a nice visitor center and you can take a walk down to nugget Falls and all around the lake. Lots of kids in the marked trails.

Edited by Suzanne123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Suzanne123 said:

I don’t know how much time you have, but while visiting the Kenai Peninsula, for some nice things to do with your daughter, look into the Alaska Wild life Conservation Center https://www.alaskawildlife.org and Mt. Alyeska’s tram https://alyeskaresort.com/alyeska-aerial-tram/ .  You can also do a hike at Exit Glacier https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier-area.htm and a behind the scenes tour at the Seward Sealife Center https://www.alaskasealife.org . If you want to see glaciers, for sure look into the 26 Glacier Tour in Whittier.  https://phillipscruises.com .

We considered taking a charter bus that offers a visit to the Wildlife Conservation Center from Anchorage to Seward. Also, to be more specific, it seems to actually go onto Mendenhall Glacier, the only accessible way for our daughter is via helicopter. I know there are hikes available, such as Nugget Falls.

I am also looking for options on how to actually climb ON the glacier.  With only minimal research so far, there seem to be two ways to access the glacier besides a helicopter. There is a at least one tour company that takes you across the lake via canoe and then provides a hike up part way up the glacier itself [do not remember the age limit]. One other way is to take the west glacier trail and follow it to the end (and from what is written), follow a scarcely used trail to take you to the glacier (and glacier caves) [caution: still not for a 7yo or those not used to hiking - approx. 10-12 search and rescue missions are conducted every year for those going on that trail].

Edited by Travel R

8 minutes ago, Travel R said:

I am also looking for options on how to actually climb ON the glacier.  With only minimal research so far, there seem to be two ways to access the glacier besides a helicopter. There is a at least one tour company that takes you across the lake via canoe and then provides a hike up part way up the glacier itself [do not remember the age limit]. One other way is to take the west glacier trail and follow it to the end (and from what is written), follow a scarcely used trail to take you to the glacier (and glacier caves) [caution: still not for a 7yo or those not used to hiking - approx. 10-12 search and rescue missions are conducted every year for those going on that trail].

That's all I've found, as well. Both are by Above and Beyond Alaska, both of which have minimum age limits of 12.

I'm wondering if by going to Matanuska Glacier and doing the trek there if I would be "glaciered" out and not need to do another trek, and if I'm getting more of the same. 

On 7/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, Suzanne123 said:

Several years ago we took an excursion by Allen Marine out of Juneau to Taku Glacier by hovercraft.  I don’t see it on their web site, but maybe they will have it again next year.

Thanks. I looked on their website and will be giving them a call. It seems by a simple Google search the only options to visit Taku Glacier is by air and boat together.

4 hours ago, JayFank said:

It appears like Royal Caribbean doesn't offer any tours to Tracy Arm Fjord. Is it possible to visit there within the 12-hour window allotted for Juneau?

Look for an excursion by Allan Marine - operates out of the float plane dock just a block or

two north of the 3 Franklin St berths. 

This excursion is a 5+ hour round trip to the Tracy Arm Sawyer (South) glacier -

frequently with ice flow - time and weather permitting a visit to the smaller North

Sawyer glacier is possible and getting right up close to the edge of that glacier.

Along the way sighting whales and other critters.

A box lunch is provided and beverages.

A L-O-N-G trip YES but this excursion gets right up close and is not so much foiled

by the ice flow - small ship able to navigate around the ice chunks.

Often the crew will snare a chunk of ice and bring it on board for all to see the color

and feel the intense coldness of ice - this is not refrigerated manufactured melting

ice.

With a 12 hour window you should have ample time for this excursion and a tram trip

to the Mt. Roberts - a side trip to Mendenhall glacier maybe pushing the schedule.

Look for the possibilities of a combo excursion doing two of these things.

Even if you ship docks at the AJ dock there is adequate time for these excursions.

We flew with Island Wings Air Service, in Ketchikan, in 2011.  Whatever flight we were supposed to take was cut short and we were refunded a portion of our cost.

I never figured out exactly what we missed - it was a fun plane ride over the Tongass Forrest, landing on a glacier-created lake.  Maybe we missed being on a glacier? but we did that in Juneau.  Which is an answer to the other question - no, I don’t think you need to do multiple glacier visits on one cruise.  Unless you are really into them.  

Four cruises: I have visited Mendenhall Glacier each time.  It’s an easy visit, nice break from more intense ports.  By the time your daughter is old, it will have receded so much.  It is great to pair it with whale watching to make a fun day.

I love whale watching.  Have done it in AK, HI, and Massachusetts.  Scheduled for September in Icy Strait Point.  I am really into this.

Skagway is a tough one.  The views from the railroad are nice.  We did our helicopter ride / land on a glacier there.  I would love to do a summer dog sled camp there someday.  

Hope you get some great excursions.

We were on the radiance a couple years back with exact same stops.  It is a great trip.  In Skagway we took an excursion to Davison glacier and it was really fun. We did not climb on it but did hike to the face  and got to touch the ice, walk under the ice overhangs etc.   personally if you are seeing another glacier I would say skip Mendenhall.   In icy straight we took a whale watching tour.   It was the best excursion we have had in 20 or so cruises worldwide - although there is luck involved and we were very lucky - with a pod of orcas circling our boat and ramming our boat several times (a bit scary but mostly fun).  

have a great trip.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Couple of questions:

Fly into Anchorage on Wednesday, May 11 and arrive at approximately 8 p.m.

Pre-cruise plans are as follows:

Thursday, May 12

-- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Matanuska Glacier

-- ??? Hope for late afternoon transfer from Anchorage to Seward

Friday, May 13

-- 9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Seavey's Ididaride dog sled tour

-- 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Kenai Fjords cruise

-- 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Board Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas cruise ship

Now, my question is this:

Other than private transfers or rental car, do I have any options for a 5 p.m. or later transfer from Anchorage to Seward?

Also, if I do Matanuska Glacier, would a trek on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau be more of the same and be too much of the same thing?

And am I trying to do too much on that Friday before the cruise (sled dog, Kenai Fjords)?

Reason I'm trying to sort out is if Mendenhall is more of the same as Matanuska, I could easily do sled dog tour in Juneau instead of Mendenhall, which would allow us to take the train early Friday morning to Seward and avoid late evening transfer on Thursday evening.

We are hoping to go in June (family of 4, 2 kids ages 9 and 11), and have a similar-ish itinerary. We actually leave out of Whittier not Seward, though we are still heading down to Seward as part of our pre-cruise land itinerary.  I'll give you our basic day plans and reasoning below:

Day 1:  Arrive in Anchorage, collapse in hotel since we're from the East Coast
Day 2:  Matanuska Glacier trek (getting to a glacier and hiking on it is important, and I don't want to miss it due to helicopter flight issues).  Likely grab a pizza for dinner and pass out again at the hotel.
Day 3:  Train down to Seward, and 3.5 hour boat tour of Resurrection Bay (We are avoiding the 6-8 hour ones because I can't imagine our youngest would do well after sitting on a train and then sitting on a boat, plus the time change, PLUS my oldest gets motion sickness).  Spending the night at Salted Root Cabins so the kids can go tidepooling, maybe do a fire and s'mores down by the water.  
Day 4:  Ocean Center in the morning, then private shuttle to ship in Whittier.  Considering stopping at Wildlife Center on the way.  Board ship.  
Day 5:  At Sea, Hubbard Glacier
Day 6:  At Sea, Glacier Bay
Day 7:  Skagway:  This is where we are doing the dog kennel stuff/gold panning that the kids will enjoy.  I considered Seavey's in Seward, but I'd rather spend that time looking around at the wildlife there.  Currently trying to figure out if I want to pay for the helicopter to do the dog sledding on the actual snow and get some aerial views, or if we'll just do the cheaper land one that includes gold panning.  
Day 8:  Whale Watching with Jayleen tours.  Love having my daughter get to see female captains.  If we're up to it after the tour, we may do the Mt. Roberts Tram and/or Mendenhall Glacier visitor center.  As we get later into the trip the family's energy tends to peter out, so we may be a one and done tour here.  And if we don't get to Mendenhall it's no big deal because we already got to hike on a glacier back in Anchorage.
Day 9:  Ketchikan, our plan is to go kayaking with Ketchikan Kayak Co. (ages 6+), but we also considered the Deadliest Catch Crab Tour or the Lumber Jack Show since I think the kids would enjoy those.  
Day 10:  At Sea
Day 11:  Fly Home

HTH!

This is currently what I have planned for the three of us now (I will likely do the Mendenhall Glacier trip by myself). If anyone has any suggestions for Ketchikan, fire away, otherwise, it may be a rest day considering it's a pretty busy itinerary.

Alaska -- May 2022
-- Day 1 (May 11, 2022) -- Fly from Charleston, WV, to Anchorage, AK
    9:20 a.m. - 10:35 a.m. -- Charleston to Charlotte, NC
    11:10 a.m. - 1:40 a.m. -- Charlotte to Seattle, WA
    5:40 p.m. - 8:12 p.m. -- Seattle to Anchorage AK
-- Day 2 (May 12, 2022) -- Matanuska Glacier tour by 907 tours
    8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. -- Anchorage to Matanuska roundtrip ($768)
-- Day 3 (May 13, 2022) -- Anchorage to Seward
    6:45 a.m. - 11:05 a.m. -- Alaska Coastal Classic railroad ($255)
    11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Kenai Fjords National Park tour ($417.35)
    6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Board Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas
-- Day 4 (May 14, 2022) -- Hubbard Glacier (Day at sea)
-- Day 5 (May 15, 2022) -- Juneau, AK
    9 a.m. - 9 p.m. -- Mendenhall Glacier Trek ($239)
-- Day 6 (May 16, 2022) -- Skagway, AK
    10 a.m. - 1:15 p.m. -- Skagway Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Adventure ($375)
-- Day 7 (May 17, 2022) -- Icy Strait Point, AK
    6:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. -- Icy Strait Whale Adventures ($463)
-- Day 8 (May 18, 2022) -- Ketchikan, AK
    9 a.m. - 6 p.m. -- Unknown
-- Day 9 (May 19, 2022) -- Day at Sea
-- Day 10 (May 20, 2022) -- Arrive at Vancouver, Canada
    7 a.m. - 9 a.m. -- Depart ship, take train or bus to Seattle, WA
    10:35 p.m. - 6:29 a.m. -- Seattle to Charlotte, NC
    7:15 a.m. - 8:22 a.m. -- Dallas to Charlotte, NC
-- Day 11 (May 21, 2022) -- Arrive home

• Like 1

I live in Juneau and have done several of the excursions you are interested in around the state. Some thoughts…

While I have not been ON the Mendenhall, I have taken my family twice on the Matanuska with MICA Guides, with kids ages 10ish through 14ish. It is a wonderful experience. I have not felt the need to go on the Mendenhall at all. There are so many other things you can do to fill a day in Juneau, I would not do two glacier treks. You may be sick of glaciers by the time you get to Juneau anyway, ha! Seavey’s Iditaride in Seward is the absolute best. Their dogs run the Iditarod, the Seavey family produces the best mushers. This is their summer training camp. It will be more authentic than sled dogs in Skagway. Your day in Seward with the train and then the boat will be very long. Be prepared for rough seas as well. It’s a very cool area and well worth it, but bring plenty of snacks and entertainment options. You could choose to whale watch in Juneau, Hoonah, or Seward, but if you want to see puffins and fjords then Seward is the best choice for variety. Skagway has a cool train as well as National park buildings interspersed around town that provide a great low-key day of wandering. At Hoonah (Icy Strait) they have added several new attractions this summer. Looks like there is a new aerial tram. Also a great place to learn about the native culture. Ketchikan is also good for wandering without a set plan. There are a few nice trails right from town if you feel like getting away from shops and crowds. 

• Like 1

Matanuska Glacier is one of the most easily accessible glaciers in Alaska. From the parking area its 15 minute walk and you’re on the glacier. It’s a great experience.  There has been a canoe excursion across Mendenhall Lake in the past allow access to the glacier. Another option, as mentioned, is the West Glacier Trail although there is a difficult section and numerous rescues throughout the years and it’s a 4 mile hike each way.  Exit Glacier is similar with a lengthy hike just to get on the glacier.  Other than the 2 hour drive from Anchorage, Matanuska is a great option. You may be limited by your Childs age as you are aware.

907 Tours is good although in the past they pretty much just provided the transportation with another company near the glacier providing the tour.  I’ve seen tours there for around $100pp booking direct. It’s an easy drive from Anchorage and a rental would allow quite a bit of flexibility and less expensive.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:56 AM, AKfamily said:

I live in Juneau and have done several of the excursions you are interested in around the state. Some thoughts…

While I have not been ON the Mendenhall, I have taken my family twice on the Matanuska with MICA Guides, with kids ages 10ish through 14ish. It is a wonderful experience. I have not felt the need to go on the Mendenhall at all. There are so many other things you can do to fill a day in Juneau, I would not do two glacier treks. You may be sick of glaciers by the time you get to Juneau anyway, ha! Seavey’s Iditaride in Seward is the absolute best. Their dogs run the Iditarod, the Seavey family produces the best mushers. This is their summer training camp. It will be more authentic than sled dogs in Skagway. Your day in Seward with the train and then the boat will be very long. Be prepared for rough seas as well. It’s a very cool area and well worth it, but bring plenty of snacks and entertainment options. You could choose to whale watch in Juneau, Hoonah, or Seward, but if you want to see puffins and fjords then Seward is the best choice for variety. Skagway has a cool train as well as National park buildings interspersed around town that provide a great low-key day of wandering. At Hoonah (Icy Strait) they have added several new attractions this summer. Looks like there is a new aerial tram. Also a great place to learn about the native culture. Ketchikan is also good for wandering without a set plan. There are a few nice trails right from town if you feel like getting away from shops and crowds. 

Thanks for the pointers. I would love to do Seavey's, but not sure how to squeeze it in with early transportation to Seward from Anchorage. That was why I picked Skagway (or even Juneau if I skip Mendenhall, which is likely) for the dog sledding.

I also opted to forgo the White Pass Railroad in Skagway as it appears the railroad trip from Anchorage to Seward is far more "scenic" from the videos I've seen of both.

As far as Kenai Fjords go, I know there is possibility of seeing whales (orca) and other wildlife, but really want to see Resurrection Bay and the other attractions afforded on the trip, which far outweigh doing Seavey's.

Also, once on the cruise, the following day is all on the sea at Hubbard, which will hopefully afford ample rest to prepare for the rest of the trip.

I am now looking to rent a car and do Matanuska through another provider. My only fear, however, is lack of child safety seats for the rental in the Anchorage area, as I'll have a 7-year-old along with us for the trip and do not want to lug around a car seat through airports, etc.

For booster seats, we use the Mifold booster when traveling and we only need a booster for a short portion of the trip.  It packs down tiny and easily fits in your luggage/purse/backpack.  No lugging a giant booster required.

Planet Earth Adventures also provides transportation to and from Matanuska and does the tours through MICA if you'd prefer to avoid having to rent a car for just that day.

Edited by PhotoGal07

23 hours ago, PhotoGal07 said:

For booster seats, we use the Mifold booster when traveling and we only need a booster for a short portion of the trip.  It packs down tiny and easily fits in your luggage/purse/backpack.  No lugging a giant booster required.

Planet Earth Adventures also provides transportation to and from Matanuska and does the tours through MICA if you'd prefer to avoid having to rent a car for just that day.

I've looked at PEA and 907tours, both of which are similar in pricing and provide transportation. However, the pricing comes close to the $700-800 range. Going through Glacier Tours, the price would be approximately $250, plus renting a car for a day ($150), which comes out approximately $350-400 cheaper.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, JayFank said:

Day 10 (May 20, 2022) -- Arrive at Vancouver, Canada
    7 a.m. - 9 a.m. -- Depart ship, take train or bus to Seattle, WA
    10:35 p.m. - 6:29 a.m. -- Seattle to Charlotte, NC
    7:15 a.m. - 8:22 a.m. -- Dallas to Charlotte, NC
-- Day 11 (May 21, 2022) -- Arrive home

That is one long day of traveling my friend.  Is it possible to fly home from Vancouver, BC?  You would need passports, and it would be more expensive, but it might be worth it.

In Ketch look into Bering Sea Crab Boat tour. Be ready with your camera on sport settings when they feed the eagles in tribal waters. Great tour overall. 

On the way back from Matanuska glacier look into Musk Ox Farm in Palmer. If you have rental car you will drive very near.   It seems you are a little to early in the year for bears at Katmai as a one day fly in. 

Have fun. sightcrr. 

19 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

That is one long day of traveling my friend.  Is it possible to fly home from Vancouver, BC?  You would need passports, and it would be more expensive, but it might be worth it.

Absolutely. I have passports, but with the flight schedules, etc., it would include an overnight layover in Charlotte, whereas if we bus or train to Seattle, it has us flying overnight to Charlotte instead. No matter which way we fly -- via Vancouver or Seattle -- we're not getting home until the next morning any how.

20 hours ago, JayFank said:

Absolutely. I have passports, but with the flight schedules, etc., it would include an overnight layover in Charlotte, whereas if we bus or train to Seattle, it has us flying overnight to Charlotte instead. No matter which way we fly -- via Vancouver or Seattle -- we're not getting home until the next morning any how.

Good for you for being hearty travelers, and not letting a long travel day deter you.  The inside passage is beautiful, and I saw ISP for the first time this year and loved it.  Expect to take the bus back to Seattle as the trains just run twice a day in both directions, morning (too early for disembarking cruise passengers), and early evening.  We in the Seattle area are looking forward to the border being fully open and Amtrak running to Vancouver again.

Looks like you are doing a through job of planning out your Alaskan vacation!