First Time on Lindblad - Questions

Hello, we are now booked for a 10 day cruise on the Endeavor II in the Galapagos in early November 2021.  I was wondering what the water temperature is like at that time of year; meals/drinks on the ship; etc.  Whatever you can tell us will be appreciated.  We will be in a cat. 2 cabin.

I realize that probably very few folks have been onboard Endeavor II in a long time.  But if you have recent experience, even just before covid, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

My first Lindblad cruise was on the original Endeavor in November 2011(!)  The water temperature is in the mid-70's.  I've done a handful of Lindblad cruises since then, so they've all sort of melded together, but I think in general - breakfast is a buffet, lunch is "family style" where they bring dishes to the table to share, and dinner is a served meal.  For dinner there is usually 3 entrees to choose from, one of which is vegetarian.  Someone with more recent Endeavor II experience may be able to confirm or deny my recollection.  I'm a little hazier on the drinks.  I know they had a "drink of the day" they tried to steer people toward.

Lindblad always has various naturalists giving lectures during free time.  There is always a recap before dinner where they serve appetizers and do a short talk, often about something that we'd seen during the day.  This is also when they would talk about what we were likely to see the next day.

Hopefully someone that has been to the Galapagos in the past 10 years can give you more up to date information!  It is definitely somewhere I'd love to go back to.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, califsealion said:

My first Lindblad cruise was on the original Endeavor in November 2011(!)  The water temperature is in the mid-70's.  I've done a handful of Lindblad cruises since then, so they've all sort of melded together, but I think in general - breakfast is a buffet, lunch is "family style" where they bring dishes to the table to share, and dinner is a served meal.  For dinner there is usually 3 entrees to choose from, one of which is vegetarian.  Someone with more recent Endeavor II experience may be able to confirm or deny my recollection.  I'm a little hazier on the drinks.  I know they had a "drink of the day" they tried to steer people toward.

Lindblad always has various naturalists giving lectures during free time.  There is always a recap before dinner where they serve appetizers and do a short talk, often about something that we'd seen during the day.  This is also when they would talk about what we were likely to see the next day.

Hopefully someone that has been to the Galapagos in the past 10 years can give you more up to date information!  It is definitely somewhere I'd love to go back to.

Thank you for your response.  One other more pertinent question:  What is dress code for dinner? I highly doubt if there are any formal nights.

Bill

On 7/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, ssawjo said:

Thank you for your response.  One other more pertinent question:  What is dress code for dinner? I highly doubt if there are any formal nights.

Bill

Dinner is totally casual.  On one of my cruises, I can't remember how it was worded, but suggested to bring something slightly nicer for the last night, but it was still a recommendation.

• 3 months later...

I haven't booked on NG/Lindblad but researching it, particularly its Galápagos voyages. My question has to do with air arrangements.  While I understand that the cruise fare does not cover air fare (international or internal, e.g., for Galápagos); however, what assistance is offered for making air reservations?? Not so hard for flying to and from home ton the tour start and end points but a bit of a trial for the internal flights, e.g., Galápagos. In that case one needs to be aware of the exact itinerary. Does one purchase these tickets directly through NG/Lindblad? Actually I would hope so. And I would think that's how they'd want to do it to ensure everybody is kept together as one moves as group from one location to next during the tour. 

The Nat Geo/Lindblad websites tell you what and what is not included on the trips. For Galapagos, included: Transfers upon arrival/departure for guests booked on recommended group flights. In other words, they'll recommend flight to take to arrive at the initial destination. If several airlines fly to the initial destination, they will list all of the ones that they recommend (i.e. American, United, Delta, etc.) When you arrive at the initial destination on a recommended flight, they will handle transfer to the hotel. The flights to and from the Galapagos will also be done by Nat Geo/Lindblad. If you take one of the recommended flights home, they will also take care of the transfer to the airport.

If you decide to arrive ahead of time, you'll need to pay for the transfer to the hotel. We usually arrive a day or two ahead just to make sure we don't have trouble with flight delays, so we pay for our transfer to the hotel. We usually have been able to stay in the hotel where the tour starts, so we meet up with it there.

I believe that both Nat Geo and Lindblad have full service air departments to help with flights to and from the initial destination for a small fee. Or you can use a TA or make your own air reservations.

Hope this helps. Have fun - it's a wonderful trip!

13 minutes ago, CynthiaP said:

I believe that both Nat Geo and Lindblad have full service air departments to help with flights to and from the initial destination for a small fee. Or you can use a TA or make your own air reservations.

that's exactly my question. I searched the entire web site for any mention at all of an air service department and came up empty. I was hoping that those of you who have engaged with NatGeo/Lindblad would know about it. I find it hard to believe the silence on this important aspect of travel.

The Galapagos trip is run by Lindblad. This is on Lindblad's website under FAQ:

Do you make airline reservations?

We have a full service air department to help you with your airline reservations. There is a $50 per person charge for this service. Our air department is open Monday through Fridays, from 9 am – 5:30 pm (EST).

6 minutes ago, CynthiaP said:

The Galapagos trip is run by Lindblad. This is on Lindblad's website under FAQ:

Do you make airline reservations?

We have a full service air department to help you with your airline reservations. There is a $50 per person charge for this service. Our air department is open Monday through Fridays, from 9 am – 5:30 pm (EST).

Thank you! My search was clearly not as thorough as I thought. 🙄

While checking out the hotel in Guayaquil, Hotel Oro Verde, I saw that they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  This is the hotel Lindblad is using for their pre-Galapagos trips.  I am arriving earlier than the recommended flight, but on the same day, so I will be using the free shuttle service.  Flights to/from the Galapagos are included in the cruise fare.  I made my own air arrangements to/from Ecuador.

10 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Flights to/from the Galapagos are included in the cruise fare

Are you sure of that? The literature I'm reading says internal airfares are not included. I'm assuming that means flights to/from the Galápagos. 

If you're not comfortable with the answers you receive here, it would be best if you call Nat Geo or Lindblad or your TA with your questions. They are very happy to assist you and you will have confirmation from the company.

16 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Are you sure of that? The literature I'm reading says internal airfares are not included. I'm assuming that means flights to/from the Galápagos. 

let me expand on that .. NatGeo/Expeditions page just says "internal airfares" but the LindBlad/NatGeo site (www.expeditions.com) is more explicit in the section on "cost not included" -- "Internal airfare: Guayaquil/Galapagos/Guayaquil" .. actually I find it frustrating reading the literature provided at both sites regarding what its considered "internal airfare" and not included because .. for ex .. the 16 day Galpagos & Peru expedition (the one I'm looking at) clearly includes more internal flights than just to the Galapagos Islands and back.  I've actually sent an email to NatGeo asking for clarification on this. Or I may just pick up the phone and call (and prepare myself for a long wait...)

1 minute ago, CynthiaP said:

If you're not comfortable with the answers you receive here, it would be best if you call Nat Geo or Lindblad or your TA with your questions. They are very happy to assist you and you will have confirmation from the company.

You're right .. which .. as you see from my just posted reply .. I have sent a request for info to NatGeo from their web site (there are two .. NatGeo/Expeditions and www.expeditions.com .. the latter seems to be more Lindblad). If NatGeo takes too long .. I'll just gird myself for sitting on hold with NatGeo.  I don't do TAs .. prefer to deal directly.

My previous experience with Nat Geo/Lindblad for "internal air not included" has always meant they are arranging the internal flights (often a charter). A charge is added to your invoice along with the cruise fare.

1 hour ago, brngckn said:

My previous experience with Nat Geo/Lindblad for "internal air not included" has always meant they are arranging the internal flights (often a charter). A charge is added to your invoice along with the cruise fare.

OK. But would be nice to have some idea in advance of what that cost will be. Especially if I'm trying to cost things out. Guess I need to call them. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:26 AM, CharTrav said:

OK. But would be nice to have some idea in advance of what that cost will be. Especially if I'm trying to cost things out. Guess I need to call them. Thanks!

We are on the 10-day Galapagos next month.  At the time we booked, internal flights were included as a promotion--that, of course, may vary.  We did not receive any information about the recommended flights from the United States until after our final payment 90 days before the cruise.  At which point, our flights were long-ago booked on our own.  They were not the recommended ones to meet up with Lindblad's included transfer, but as ssawjo noted the Hotel Oro Verde provides a free shuttle--I plan to contact them this week to arrange and will report back. 

I have had to call Lindblad a few times on planning this trip and always found the hold times to be less than five minutes, so do recommend you call them directly with your questions.  And I'm happy to answer others.  (This will be our first NatGeo/Lindblad trip as well, so can only answer questions about the process leading up to the trip, not the trip experience itself.)