Has anyone been to Spetses, Greece?

HRPro

We are sailing on Seabourn September 4-11, 2021, and our last port stop is Spetses, a very small island not far from Hydra.  Seabourn is only offering one excursion in that port--a walking tour--and I am much more interested in sailing or the beaches.  I am having trouble finding out much, if any, information about Spetses and what we might arrange for a private tour.  If you've been to Spetses or have information that might be helpful in helping us decide how to spend our day there, I would really appreciate it. I posted this on the ports of call board, but thought since there will be other Seabourn cruises stopping at this port in July and August, I would see if anyone has any information to share either before you cruise or when you return.

As always, any helpful information or tips will be much appreciated.

HRPro

When I visited, many years ago, there were around three taxis in total for the whole island! It's pretty much  a car free island.

There are bikes and mopeds to rent, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that. There are horse drawn carriages too.

The beaches are mostly pebble, so don't expect vast stretches of pristine white sand. 

I'll be following the thread with interest as I have an eye on a SB cruise a week after yours. It will be interesting to hear from people who have visited more recently than I. 

18 minutes ago, M&PGermany said:

It's where they host Caviar in the Surf. 

Probably like Sir Bunny... nothing but a nice beach. 😉

I wondered where CitS was held in Greece, have never done an Eastern Med cruise so thanks for the info. 

Actually Spetses is a beautiful island.

23 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

It's where they host Caviar in the Surf. 

Probably like Sir Bunny... nothing but a nice beach. 😉

Glad to know about Caviar in the Surf being at Spetses--definitely don't want to miss that.

Thanks all for the information--we're are looking forward to our Greek Isles cruise after being stuck at home for over a year.  Will look forward to whatever Spetses has to offer especially Caviar in the Surf.

• Like 1

We stopped at Spetses (Spetsai) when on Odyssey in 2019. Very quiet town, we just got off and walked around. Didn't have Caviar in the Surf but the sports deck was open.

ED8B2266-65A2-42F4-8943-077C12103380_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.3c2418d7c8761e8122d6a15c5de311ec.jpeg

Is this confirmed that there will be Caviar in the Surf on the current Greek voyages? I have never been offered, or experienced, Caviar in the surf on any previous Med cruises.

13 minutes ago, Baz-t said:

Is this confirmed that there will be Caviar in the Surf on the current Greek voyages? I have never been offered, or experienced, Caviar in the surf on any previous Med cruises.

I was surprised to read that it is held in Spetses as I can't recall a big enough beach with the full facilities that are required for Caviar in the Surf.
Like you, I have never experienced it in the Med, only on 'private' islands in Caribbean and Asia.  Spetses seems more  suitable for a marina day.

We will wait for further news from those on board Ovation currently, I'm intrigued! 

Never been to one in the Med either but we've never been on a seasonal appropriate cruise.  I looked at Google Maps and saw several nice beaches with facilities that I thought could host it but I don't know about numbers with the ship.  Is it going to continue with half capacity?  

On 7/4/2021 at 10:04 PM, Isklaar said:

I was surprised to read that it is held in Spetses as I can't recall a big enough beach with the full facilities that are required for Caviar in the Surf.
Like you, I have never experienced it in the Med, only on 'private' islands in Caribbean and Asia.  Spetses seems more  suitable for a marina day.

We will wait for further news from those on board Ovation currently, I'm intrigued! 

I don't remember it in Spetses  when we were there in July, 2019.  I don't worry about marina days as I am off exploring so that may have occurred? The beaches are lovely white sand but narrow so I don't think they would be able to host it there. And too busy with locals using the beach.

We also enjoyed the Bouboulina Museum which is dedicated to a strong woman protector of the island  and then had a wonderful fresh seafood lunch.

23 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I don't remember it in Spetses  when we were there in July, 2019.  I don't worry about marina days as I am off exploring so that may have occurred? The beaches are lovely white sand but narrow so I don't think they would be able to host it there. And too busy with locals using the beach.

We also enjoyed the Bouboulina Museum which is dedicated to a strong woman protector of the island  and then had a wonderful fresh seafood lunch.

Did you eat lunch in port?  If so, do you have a recommendation for a good restaurant?  Would love to have seafood for lunch.

many thanks!

10 hours ago, HRPro said:

Did you eat lunch in port?  If so, do you have a recommendation for a good restaurant?  Would love to have seafood for lunch.

many thanks!

Yes, we had a lovely seafood lunch but I have searched through all my photos and didn't keep the name. I do remember it took us awhile to find a place open because many  lunch places opened later in the day around1.30-2pm so we walked probably 2km one way. Now with Covid issues I am not sure what would still be open.

9 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Yes, we had a lovely seafood lunch but I have searched through all my photos and didn't keep the name. I do remember it took us awhile to find a place open because many  lunch places opened later in the day around1.30-2pm so we walked probably 2km one way. Now with Covid issues I am not sure what would still be open.

Thanks for looking for me and no worries.  We'll just do some wandering until we find a restaurant serving seafood--I would think there would be many:)

On 7/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, Baz-t said:

Not on offer the week of July 3rd.  This week they did have Caviar by the pool with entertainment that was quite good.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, fudgbug said:

Not that I've noticed nor is there any announcement in "The Herald".  Snorkel gear has been out.

That's disappointing.

They shouldn't advertise the marina any more as they hardly ever make use of it.

Edited by M&PGermany

9 minutes ago, dalliowner said:

The last Marina day I have seen was on The Spirit ( that long ago)

I have seen Marina days in the Med on the Odyssey class ships up to July 2019 when we last did a Med cruise.We usually did them regularly mid year prior to Covid. I can't remember where because we don't participate as we are off exploring on land.