Have you spent your Country's Independence Day on a Cruise?

rkacruiser

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

Was that the Burger King at the entrance to Stroget from the City Hall square?

I have no idea.  The restaurant was close to our hotel (a small Danish hotel that our travel agent booked and was quite acceptable and was our first experience with a European hotel.  They had a great breakfast buffet, as I recall.)  The hotel was close to the Stroget and the City Hall Square and easy walking distance to Tivoli.  

The only reason that this "dining adventure" remains memorable for me is the fact that a Burger King served BEER!  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have no idea.  The restaurant was close to our hotel (a small Danish hotel that our travel agent booked and was quite acceptable and was our first experience with a European hotel.  They had a great breakfast buffet, as I recall.)  The hotel was close to the Stroget and the City Hall Square and easy walking distance to Tivoli.  

The only reason that this "dining adventure" remains memorable for me is the fact that a Burger King served BEER!  

We once stayed at The Square Hotel across the street from the City Hall square and just down the street from Tripoli Gardens.  I enjoyed the Stroget both times we have been in Copenhagen.   I remember a Burger King right at the entrance off the square.  Having a beer at a Burger King is kind of unique!     

• Like 1

14 hours ago, c-boy said:

" Not being an American I would absolutely not appreciate if the line went star spangled silly on July 4 unless it were cruise primarily of U.S. destinations (e.g. Alaskan or Hawaiian) in which case I would put up with it. "

🤨   Something tells me you don't get many likes on here or anywhere. 

Fawning over Americans who seem committed to forcing their holiday on the rest of the world isn't a concern for me. I wouldn't demand a cruise in international waters to festoon the dining room with red maple leaves on July 1 so save your red white and blue jingoism for when you are at home. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Fawning over Americans who seem committed to forcing their holiday on the rest of the world isn't a concern for me. I wouldn't demand a cruise in international waters to festoon the dining room with red maple leaves on July 1 so save your red white and blue jingoism for when you are at home. 

So you want an international crowd but you have no interest in their celebrations.  Got it. 🙄

• Like 3

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

We aren’t forcing it on people - we are inviting you to party. If you choose not to join in the fun, that’s cool. More beer and hot dogs for the rest of us. 

We did an Alaskan cruise that departed on the 4th from Whittier.  The town set off fireworks as we were leaving the port.  It was still light out but it's the thought that counts.  🙂  The ship had the atrium decorated in red, white, and blue and a giant flag cake was served with champagne.  

3 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

My home country has no independence day.

We have been independent for the past 10,000 years.

We have no need to eat hot dogs, drink beer, and watch fireworks to prove it.

I’m sorry to hear that. Free countries obviously feel a little different. 

• Like 2

I was on the Serenade of the Seas on July 4, 2019, docked in St. Petersburg. I had thought of putting a U.S. flag magnet on my cabin door, then realized that my cabin was all the way forward where no one would pass my door. Later I had a successful bid on an upgrade and ended up midship, but not in time to get the magnet.

18 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I’m sorry to hear that. Free countries obviously feel a little different. 

I know.  It is a celebration of independence.  Why some have an issue with a celebration of something good is beyond me.

There are just too many angry unpleasant attitudes.     

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 2:13 PM, BruceMuzz said:

But do you ever actually need a reason to eat hot dogs, drink beer, and shoot off fireworks? 😀 Nothing wrong with doing something fun regardless of the "holiday" status.

That's actually just an average Saturday at the baseball game around here. Have to have a hot dog and beer at a baseball and they shoot off fireworks every Saturday and any other night if they win. 

Edited by sanger727

On 7/7/2021 at 11:13 AM, BruceMuzz said:

HA ! take that   🤣

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 12:21 AM, ldubs said:

We once stayed at The Square Hotel across the street from the City Hall square and just down the street from Tripoli Gardens.  I enjoyed the Stroget both times we have been in Copenhagen.   I remember a Burger King right at the entrance off the square.  Having a beer at a Burger King is kind of unique!     

I looked at the website for this hotel.  It was not the one where my traveling companion and I stayed.  I would be surprised if the hotel where we stayed is not history.  My last visit to Copenhagen was disappointing.  The charm of the old city that I experienced in 1980 was mostly gone.   

• Thanks 1

We were on a British Isles cruise on the 4th of July in 2019.  I don't remember decorations, but then we didn't eat in the dining room a lot.  There was a gathering in the Atrium for us Yanks.  Fun for all, but no one was forced to stay or even come in the first place. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:02 AM, WatchHill said:

I have a vague memory of an Alaska cruise on the old, old Rotterdam [Ritz Carlton Lounge, crazy stair case system due to the ship being built for "class"]. 

The Ritz Carlton Lounge and its forward bulkhead mural is an important memory of those of us who sailed on Rotterdam V.  The staircase was there, not because of different "classes".  When the ship was in First Class/Tourist Class service, the Ritz Carlton was a First Class public room as was the adjoining small Tropic Bar.  The staircase was, I suppose, to increase the seating capacity of the lounge.  Plus, it did allow access to an open deck aft of the Lounge.  

Today is Bahamian Independence Day. Oh how I wish I was there to celebrate. But I will gladly raise a glass of Kalik and toast to their day. OK, technically it’s Presidente which is as close as I’ve got. And I’m not waiting until Dominican Independence  Day (Feb 27) to drink it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Today is Bahamian Independence Day. Oh how I wish I was there to celebrate. But I will gladly raise a glass of Kalik and toast to their day. OK, technically it’s Presidente which is as close as I’ve got. And I’m not waiting until Dominican Independence  Day (Feb 27) to drink it. 

😄

Celebrating whatever day it may be becomes more important the more senior one becomes.  

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:02 AM, WatchHill said:

I have a vague memory of an Alaska cruise on the old, old Rotterdam [Ritz Carlton Lounge, crazy stair case system due to the ship being built for "class"]. .....

We also did an Alaskan cruise on the Rotterdam V and we sailed on July 4 from Seward.   There were some decorations in the main dining room and the menu was titled "Independence Day Dinner."  They gave some dishes American themed names ("Consomme Paul Revere," Red Snapper Betsy Ross," "Bunker Hill Salad," etc.).

The menu also had a quote on the front from Daniel Webster's speech at the dedication of the Bunker Hill Monument in 1825

"Let our object be, Our country, our whole country, and nothing but our country. And, by the blessing of God, may that country itself become a vast and splendid monument, not of oppression and terror, but of Wisdom, of Peace, and of Liberty, upon which the world may gaze with admiration for ever!"
Here is a link to the full text of the speech.

Looking at the ship's paper ("Dagelyks Nieuws") from that day I also see a paragraph titled "United Nations" that states in part "Onboard we celebrate the National Holidays of the Netherlands, England, the Philippines, Indonesia, the United States and Canada. Each celebration is different and accorded all respect."

• Like 2