Saga wine list , non house wine (premium paid for)

Windsurfboy

Can someone kindly  post a picture of the Saga wine list and prices.

I know that house wine is included,  but I  understand choice can become repetitive on a long cruise. I like the odd treat so, decision  is bring a few bottles of  special wine for dinner , or buy on board.  I would hope that the premium for a different wine on board would be very reasonable 

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure that the wines at the lower price range are any better than the wines included in your fare. 

If you buy a bottle for £20, you are, in effect paying £30, as you are not drinking the free house wine.  

None of the lower priced bottles are worth £30!

If you want a good bottle of wine, bring it with you. 

Edited by wowzz

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure that the wines at the lower price range are any better than the wines included in your fare. 

If you buy a bottle for £20, you are, in effect paying £30, as you are not drinking the free house wine.  

None of the lower priced bottles are worth £30!

If you want a good bottle of wine, bring it with you. 

34 minutes ago, Janet- said:

We tried all of the wine and found it all to be reasonable quality. There was no problem getting our favourites even if it wasn't one of the "wines of the night"

Wowzz , Even if you bring it with you you are effectively paying a premium by not drinking house wine.  Remember  in any Restaurant normally  triple cheaper wines and at least double dearer c.f. retail.

I agree that the cheaper wines not worth paying extra , the dearer French wines are not great bargains , but the Barolo is £28 in shops and at moment £30  on board , so same price, haven't had that particular one but gets good reviews . Will check before hand if prices go up.

We are on board for 32 days so will try all the house wines and ask for any favourite as Janet said.  Will only occasionally treat myself, most likely when we go to the Amalfi, I drink beer with Nepalese. My wife is easy she'll stick to the Saga Hush Heath bubbly which is good. Actually haven't found a bad  English bubbly. 

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Wowzz , Even if you bring it with you you are effectively paying a premium by not drinking house wine.  Remember  in any Restaurant normally  triple cheaper wines and at least double dearer c.f. retail.

Good point. Forgot that part of the equation!

However,  it still seems to make sense to bring your own £10 bottle  on board, rather than pay £30 for it in the MDR.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Good point. Forgot that part of the equation!

However,  it still seems to make sense to bring your own £10 bottle  on board, rather than pay £30 for it in the MDR.

The one wine I know I do really like is the Barolo is £28 in the shops and £30 on board,  so certainly  not worth the effort to bring on board. 

I expect and have been told the Saga inclusive wines are very well chosen and will be as good if not better as any £10 wine you can buy in shop.

Now I've got the list I'll investigate all the better wines on the list, if I'm going to treat myself I'll do it properly.  Compared to the cost of the cruise a bottle of good wine at Saga prices , even every other day,  is peanuts. It will be quite fun to see if I can get my hands on some of these wines to test them beforehand . My kind of pre-cruise research between now and May.

Even if you add £10 to the price of the Saga wines in the list above they are cheaper than P&O , and so so much cheaper than Cunard, as Wacktie said very good bargains.

Only if and that's a big if , we can get to South Africa this winter and I can get to one of my favourite vineyards,  where for £30 you can get some truly exceptional wine , now I've seen the Saga list, do I think it would be worth bringing wine with me.

Once again THANKS  to Janet for posting the list

13 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

My kind of pre-cruise research between now and May.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it ! When you've done your research, could you let us know your conclusions? 

A bit of an academic question,  but if we were to not finish a bottle of our own wine,  would Saga keep it for us until the next night,  even though it is not one of their bottles? 

Sorry Wacktle I don't know for sure but they were very obliging so as long as they'd got the ingredients I expect they'd serve whatever you wanted. The only cocktail I tried was the Pina Colada but the alcohol was lacking. It was served very nicely though, and just the drink to have in the sun. 

DSC_1011.JPG

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from a trip on Spirit of Adventure and we found the house wines varied between 'not bad' (the merlot and the dry rose) and 'just about drinkable cheap plonk' (including all the whites).

This was disappointing as we remembered the house wines being fine on previous cruises.

Similarly, the house spirits seem to have suffered - the gin had little taste (so ask for a double!) and the whisky and brandy were like rocket fuel.  Definitely pay for the premium brands here.

☺️

Have the house spirits actually got worse? I remember having haggis once on the Saga Sapphire. This came with a free glass of whisky, and, being more used to the likes of Lagavulin, I was rather taken aback by its assault on my throat. A wiser fellow Saganaut, who had ordered the same dish, kept his whisky till the end of the meal and then poured it into his coffee, thus diluting its acerbity. We did have a jolly good laugh, though!

On 10/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, prothed said:

We have just returned from a trip on Spirit of Adventure and we found the house wines varied between 'not bad' (the merlot and the dry rose) and 'just about drinkable cheap plonk' (including all the whites).

This was disappointing as we remembered the house wines being fine on previous cruises.

Similarly, the house spirits seem to have suffered - the gin had little taste (so ask for a double!) and the whisky and brandy were like rocket fuel.  Definitely pay for the premium brands here.

☺️

Have you told  Saga what you thought about wine ,  either someone senior on ship, or when you got back.