Just returned from the Grand New England Cruise on the American Constitution

Tom2

The ship was suffering start up pains and keeping workers was difficult. When they restarted cruises, they had to hire almost all new staff and almost every day some staff left, one got sea sick and left, some thought the work was too hard, and some found the stimulus money was just much easier. It seems to be a sign of the times. They were constantly shuffling staff. I must say the food, when you got it, was absolutely delicious. They were short servers but it was not their problem and they tried really hard. There appeared to be a shortage of workers in the kitchen delaying getting the food out. Some of the desserts were beyond delicious. The prime rib was great and how can one beat lobster in some form almost every meal. The Lobster Bake was a definite high lite of the trip. It was nice to get away. We met some great people and almost everyone took the glitches in stride. We would definitely do it again. Of course, there were some people that complained about everything, but you find that on every cruise. We stayed an extra night at the Four Seasons, rented a car and drove to Plymouth for the day. A great way to start the trip. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try and answer them. If anyone is interested a daily travelogue and some pictures are posted at:  http://www.tomjed.com/index.php/gne-1

We have an 11 am departure and was worried about their shuttle being delayed etc. Were there cabs available so that we can leave early to make sure we get to the airport in time especially when the TSA may be crowded.

I would definitely recommend a cab and the ships office will book it for you. We took the shuttle and it was very disorganized and we were lucky to make our noon flight. Next time I will book a cab or uber.

We leave on the 23rd for our pre night at the Four Seasons with our cruise departing on the 24th. How was the breakfast at the Four Seasons? Did the medical officer come and do your rapid test at the hotel or when you boarded? On the last day we plan on taking the shuttle as our flight doesn't leave until 1pm. Hopefully they will be more organized soon. 

Breakfast at the Four Seasons was great. It was a buffet in a private room just for people getting on the ship. All you could eat with an omlet station. The test was done at the hotel and they checked your vaccination record.

1 hour ago, Tom2 said:

I would definitely recommend a cab and the ships office will book it for you. We took the shuttle and it was very disorganized and we were lucky to make our noon flight. Next time I will book a cab or uber.

Thank you Tom2 for your help.  I'm glad the ship's office will arrange that.  We thought with the disorganization, we might be stressed for our flight.  Appreciate it.

Looked at your blog. Very nice; excited about our upcoming trip. How were the waters, rough or calm, or did it depend on the weather? Thanks for the info about the 4 Seasons. We arrive early in the pre day, and plan on walking the Freedom Trail as hubby has never been to Boston.

1 hour ago, twototravel said:

How were the waters, rough or calm, or did it depend on the weather?

For the most part we had really calm seas although there were 2 nights that after we went to bed the ship started really rocking and rolling. I think that the Captain was speeding up to make the next port on time. Weather wise we only had one really bad day and that was Provincetown where it was cold, windy and raining most of the day.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Tom2 said:

The ship was suffering start up pains and keeping workers was difficult. When they restarted cruises, they had to hire almost all new staff and almost every day some staff left, one got sea sick and left, some thought the work was too hard, and some found the stimulus money was just much easier.

This is a problem faced by all US flag cruise ships, it was one of the major problems when NCL had 3 large ships in Hawaii, and continues to plague them to this day.  With a US flag ship, a US crew, and being in a US port, crew can just walk off the ship and go home.  I'm not sure the stimulus money has much to do with this problem, it is just not part of the US experience to leave home for extended periods, live in a room with strangers (unless you've been to college), and have your life regulated 24/7 by the USCG.  Many take the job thinking they are going on a cruise, or that working there is like the Love Boat, and are seriously disappointed when reality hits.

• Like 2