Looking for a tour guide Iguazu falls

nuthut

We went to Iguazu Falls Argentina side in March 2020 after a cruise from San Antonio Chile to Buenos Aires.  We took a cab to the airport (short drive) and flew to Iguazu Falls.  We spent three nights at the Gran Melia Iguazu Falls (well worth the money),  We arranged through the hotel, a day on the Brazil side.  Even with three and a half days of exploring, I want to go back.  The three days including the flights came out to about the same dollar amount as a one day quickie tour.

We arranged ground transportation through the Gran Melia (four adults) which was only about $20 USD each way.  Also, the hotel arranged the Brazil side trip.  The car and driver was about $125.  The driver walked us though all the customs to enter and exit Brazil.  Once at the entrance we bought a river boat ride right up and into a waterfall.  We walked about three miles of trails.  (There is also a bus to get around the Brazil park.)

By staying at the Gran Melia, which is inside the park, you only have to purchase your park pass once.  You also have early access to the park.  It is an amazing place.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Save your money.  You absolutely do not need a tour guide for Iguazu Falls.  Catch a taxi to the falls from IGR and for the return.  It's a straight shot - about 15 minutes IIRC.  You will get a map of the trails when you go in, and that is all you need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 2:08 PM, FredZiffle said:

Save your money.  You absolutely do not need a tour guide for Iguazu Falls.  Catch a taxi to the falls from IGR and for the return.  It's a straight shot - about 15 minutes IIRC.  You will get a map of the trails when you go in, and that is all you need.

Absolutely agree.  We did our own.  Arranged the flights, hotels.  Transport from the airport to the park or to the town is plentiful.

You definitely do not need a tour guide for the park, nor do you need one to drive you back and forth to the park.

This was probably one of the easiest DYI tours that we have ever done.  The only not so difficult bit was calling down to the Aerolineas call center in BA (on the advice of the 1-800 CSR) in order to get access to more flight times and save about 30 percent on our return air fares vs booking on the web.

Edited by iancal

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, FredZiffle said:

agree!

• 3 months later...

Great information about not needing a tour guide. I'd really like to stay in town to take advantage of a local hotel and local restaurants. 

Was concerned about transportation back and forth to the park but good to know it is not an issue.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, iancal said:

This was probably one of the easiest DYI tours that we have ever done.  The only not so difficult bit was calling down to the Aerolineas call center in BA (on the advice of the 1-800 CSR) in order to get access to more flight times and save about 30 percent on our return air fares vs booking on the web.

Could you elaborate on this please? If I understand  you correctly, it is better to call the airline than book online?

28 minutes ago, diane.in.ny said:

Could you elaborate on this please? If I understand  you correctly, it is better to call the airline than book online?

I ended up on the Argentine page of Aerolineas, the Argentine airline.  English version.

I noticed that he flights offered on their site, as well as the prices, differed from other airline booking sites. Strange.  We are used to booking but have only previously encountered an airline pricing discrepancy like this in Turkey.

I called the North American 1 800 number for Aerolineas.  The CSR told me I could access these flights at these prices ONLY by calling the Aerolineas call center in Buenos Aires.   She gave me the number, told me that English was not a problem but they would be limited in the amount that could be charged.

I called down to BA.  Sure enough I had an english speaking clerk.   I asked for the flights we wanted.  No issue whatsoever.  The only slight rub was that it had to be two transactions.  One each because of the limit.  I think 5000 pesos or something.  

This is what we did.  Took 10 minutes at the most.  Even thought these were not the heavily discounted fares for locals the fares were 30 percent less than any other web site.  The other plus was that we had access to more flights.  In our case we wanted to fly up in the AM, and fly home the next day very late afternoon.

We did not stay in the park hotel.  We stayed in town.  Cab took us to our hotel.  Flat fee...very reasonable.  There is a direct bus service from the town to the park.  We used this.  Cost was minimal.  Service frequent.

We were not certain whether to go.  So glad we did.

Hope this helps.

Edited by iancal

7 minutes ago, iancal said:

I ended up on the Argentine page of Aerolineas, the Argentine airline.  English version.

I noticed that he flights offered on their site, as well as the prices, differed from other airline booking sites. Strange.  We are used to booking but have only previously encountered an airline pricing discrepancy like this in Turkey.

I called the North American 1 800 number for Aerolineas.  The CSR told me I could access these flights at these prices ONLY by calling the Aerolineas call center in Buenos Aires.   She gave me the number, told me that English was not a problem but they would be limited in the amount that could be charged.

I called down to BA.  Sure enough I had an english speaking clerk.   I asked for the flights we wanted.  No issue whatsoever.  The only slight rub was that it had to be two transactions.  One each because of the limit.  I think 5000 pesos or something.  

This is what we did.  Took 10 minutes at the most.  Even thought these were not the heavily discounted fares for locals the fares were 30 percent less than any other web site.  The other plus was that we had access to more flights.  In our case we wanted to fly up in the AM, and fly home the next day very late afternoon.

We did not stay in the park hotel.  We stayed in town.  Cab took us to our hotel.  Flat fee...very reasonable.  There is a direct bus service from the town to the park.  We used this.  Cost was minimal.  Service frequent.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! Helps a lot!

4 minutes ago, diane.in.ny said:

Thank you! Helps a lot!

NP.

You definitely DO NOT need a tour guide for the Park!    Easiest DIY that we have ever done.   We enjoyed being in town.   Joined a very friendly Argentine family that we met briefly in the Park earlier in the day.  Despite the language barrier we, them and us, muddled through...as usual.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I respectfully disagree with some of the above posters. We did exactly what the original poster requested. We took a plane to IF in am, had a tour guide pick us up at the airport, took us through the park, saved time & lines with a few tricks that he had , enjoyed lunch , also without waiting, & at end of the day he took us back to the airport. We found the guide helpful. Unfortunately, we're not at home so I can't get the guide's name. 

Edited by dabear
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would second the advice on having a guide.  We actually ended up with two guides and a driver for three of us.  They facilitated the transfer from Argentina to Brazil and then Brazil to Argentina.  I definitely recommend seeing both sides,  the view from your hotel room at Melia is well worth it.  We booked it as an extension from the cruise line.  The cost was very reasonable.  Two nights at Alvear Palace, one night at Melia, airfare, transfers, all meals, Buenos Aires city tour, covid tests, all for $1736 per person.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, iancal said:

Hope this helps.

This is what we did. Call the 1-800 Argentina number to access the lower rates. We stayed at the Melia because we were short on time with only one overnight. You can get a discounted rate by joining their loyalty club even if you’ve never stayed at one of their hotels. The hotel offered airport pickup and drop off for a very small fee, maybe $20??? The driver assisted us with purchasing the park tickets that are required before arriving at the hotel since it’s in the park. He would have arranged the Brazil trip if we did that, but we felt too rushed for just 1 overnight. We took a boat ride to the falls instead. They sell tickets at the hotel. IMO that was a great decision on our part. The boat trip was a highlight of our trip.

• Thanks 1

For all Tours Paraguayan, see Trico Tours! I just spent 14 days in country on an amazing bucket-list vacation of a lifetime in Paraguay. Exceeded my wildest expectations. They have one for the Falls.