Hotels in Civitavecchia

muth cruiser

If cost is perhaps an issue, post on your roll call (it is an active one, as you will see!). I am on this cruise with family, and I do recall seeing a post on the rollcall of someone offering to share a ride from Rome to the port.

I am collecting names for a cruise critic meet and greet, so be sure to send me your contact information if you’re interested in joining us.

9 hours ago, muth cruiser said:

We are booked on the transatlantic cruise leaving Civitavecchia on November 16th.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice hotel that is convenient for reaching the ship?

Thank you for any help 

The hotels in Civitavecchia have gone downhill, with prices up, over the last five years.  
As others have said, you’re flying in after a marathon of hours travel, there is no need for another 2 hour plus drive, added to the time spent in baggage and immigration.  
It’s better to take a hotel near FCO, friends have used the Tiber.  Tiber is clean and reasonably priced with a cheap airport/hotel shuttle.

You can unwind post flight, take dinner, breakfast then travel refreshed the following day direct to the ship.

We’ve stayed at the Traghetto a couple of time.  Walking distance to the port shuttle.  Admittedly, it’s nothing special, but the rooms have always been clean, which is all we were concerned about for an overnight stay.  That said, it’s been a number of years since we’ve stayed there and what with the pandemic, not sure what it might be like now.

This topic is on the Ports boards.  There seems to be quite a bit of helpful info.  Simply telling you that staying in Rome is the way to go is really not addressing your question.  We all have our preferences but they may not suit the needs or desires of others.  Hope this link helps.   -Katie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

For something a bit left field.  Heard good reports… 

https://tenuta-dellargento-resort.hotels-lazio.com/en/

Having stayed there I probably wouldn't do it again. It's a cattle ranch, if you're ok with that then you might like it. At the time I went it was a very rough driveway up to it, the shuttle we took from the airport had a hard time navigating it. It might be better now. 

We stayed in Tarquinia (about 10km from the port) for about 3 days before a cruise in 2019.  It is a very old walled hilltop village with Etruscan ruins - very walkable and great little local restaurants (try Pane Pelle Vino or Pears Belle Helene-  a bakery).  The owner picked us up from the airport (€50) and also drove us to the port to leave on the cruise.  Fabulous.  We stayed at the Palazzo Castellischi  https://palazzo-castelleschi-holiday-home.hotels-lazio.com/en/ which is a 1000 year-old wonderful small hotel.   Immaculate, & even has small kitchenette for breakfast or whatever.

Couldn't recommend it more highly, and we would both go back in a flash.  

IMG_3265.thumb.JPG.839cae6cff080cdbdd93eb6a25b262c9.JPGIMG_3261.thumb.JPG.e0784b88689df2b808313fac87630323.JPGPalazza.thumb.JPG.08717d9d414e4b11b82dd6e02383016b.JPG

Edited by HilsTas
  • Like 2

The last time we left from Civitavecchia, we spent the night at Hotel de la Ville and...well...it wasn't bad.  We rented a one-bedroom suite and it was highly reminiscent of my Italian grandmother's little flat.  Considering the price we paid, though, we can't complain too much - and nonna would be proud we saved so much.  The front desk was very helpful insofar as calling for taxis to the port and for tracking so that other cruisers didn't "accidentally" get into the wrong cab ahead of 5 other parties that were waiting.

If you decide to stay in Rome and drive in to Civitavecchia the day of, by all means use Rome Cabs.  Contrary to what the name implies, they're actually cars/vans and their timeliness is truly astounding.  

Edited by Cliff-FLL
Clarity.

20 hours ago, muth cruiser said:

We are booked on the transatlantic cruise leaving Civitavecchia on November 16th.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice hotel that is convenient for reaching the ship?

Thank you for any help 

What year is your cruise?  The 2021 TA on the Riviera leaves Civitavecchia on Nov 17.

As far as Rome hotels go the port is over 1 hour away.  If you are planning on taking the train to the port a hotel near the Termini will be convenient.  Check the Europe Ports of Call Board.

Dan

Edited by dj_crusin

Count me among the folks that would not recommend staying in Civitavecchia.  We have stayed in Civ, but it was because we were dropping a rental car and did not want to deal with the hassle of driving a car into Rome.  Otherwise we would have opted to stay in Rome (even for a pre cruise night).  Rome is a fantastic city and we especially enjoy being there in the evening.  While Civ does have some hotels and restaurants we would not trade it for a night in Rome unless absolutely necessary.  Getting from Rome to the Port on a cruise day is no problem whether you do it via train or use some kind of car transfer (a good option).

Hank

Thank you for the detailed reply. I think this looks like a great option. I checked and it looks like we could take a train or a bus if we can not find a private transfer to the ship.

We have spent a lot of time in Rome and I would love to go back but I am a bit paranoid about COVID-19.  I’m only going on the cruise because Oceania is requiring everyone to be vaccinated.  I am still going to be extra cautious.

We stayed at the San Giorgio in Civitavecchia once.  It was nice and included transfer to the port,.  Restaurant was quite good also.

We only stayed there because we were ending in Rome and planning to stay in Rome at the end of the cruise.

It was convenient and the Hotel was very convenient.  If we were not staying in Rome at the end of the cruise we would not have staying in Civ.

Terri

MyRiviera cruise next April 4 ends in Rome on April 15 and rather than stay in Civi or Rome I decided to take the train to Milan and stay there for 2 nights, then fly home from Milan. I have been to Rome 4 times but never to Milan. Plus it was easier and better flights back to the US from Milan with UA miles. I couldn't find anything reasonable from FCO.

Unlike most of the posters, we DID stay in Civitavecchia prior to a cruise in November 2017 and found lots to do in the few days we were there.  We also found information (perhaps at the Ports of Call section here or at Toms Port Guides.  (Actually, I think when I wrote to Tom he referred me to a couple who'd recently spent time there who had plenty of information.)

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano -- not fancy but very comfortable.  They had (I assume they still do) a shuttle to/from the airport at cost but also a free shuttle to the port.  If you are used to walking, you CAN walk to the port from the hotel, but with luggage I wouldn't suggest doing so. website:  hoteltraiano@gmail.com.  We paid 90 euros/night for a superior room; rates now appear to be cheaper but of course it depends on when you are traveling.

We found a wonderful restaurant within walking distance of the hotel (reservations needed because it is very small with a daily menu).  If anyone wants more information, please write to me privately.  See the link to my email at the end of this message.

A friend was in Civitavecchia after we were on her own, again prior to her cruise, and I mentioned a few places in town for her to visit and she loved them.

If you have more time and a car, there are places to visit out of town as well.

Please don't discount Civitavecchia just because it is not Rome.  Now, if you are flying in and just want a hotel overnight prior to going to the ship -- that's different.  Then I would agree.   But since we had recently spent some time in Rome we wanted to see what Civitavecchia had to offer.  We found it well worth the visit.

Mura

• Like 1

We stayed here a couple of years ago the night before our departure.  We bumped up to a suite and were very pleased, overall.  Clean and quiet, restaurant onsite (it was okay, but the blood orange screwdriver was A-MAY-ZING).  

https://www.hotelvilladellepalme.it

Not a lot in the small town (walkable from hotel, restaurants & shops & gelato….close enough to a small grocery if you wanted to pick up wine to take onboard).  The hotel also arranged transportation pick up from the airport and then to the port the next morning.  There were six ships departing the day we left, so transportation was a bit delayed with all the taxis very busy (know who is in port when you leave - very busy port, for sure).

We would stay there again as we’ve been to Rome a few times and would rather have an ocean view and convenience over sightseeing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Izzy'sMoms said:

We stayed here a couple of years ago the night before our departure.  We bumped up to a suite and were very pleased, overall.  Clean and quiet, restaurant onsite (it was okay, but the blood orange screwdriver was A-MAY-ZING).  

https://www.hotelvilladellepalme.it

Not a lot in the small town (walkable from hotel, restaurants & shops & gelato….close enough to a small grocery if you wanted to pick up wine to take onboard).  The hotel also arranged transportation pick up from the airport and then to the port the next morning.  There were six ships departing the day we left, so transportation was a bit delayed with all the taxis very busy (know who is in port when you leave - very busy port, for sure).

We would stay there again as we’ve been to Rome a few times and would rather have an ocean view and convenience over sightseeing.

Also found this blog from a former (current?) on board entertainer, with a lot of great port visit tips. This one from Civitavecchia:

https://alexgettinglost.com/2019/08/12/the-port-city-of-civitavecchia-italy/

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2021 at 7:00 PM, HilsTas said:

We stayed in Tarquinia (about 10km from the port) for about 3 days before a cruise in 2019.  It is a very old walled hilltop village with Etruscan ruins - very walkable and great little local restaurants (try Pane Pelle Vino or Pears Belle Helene-  a bakery).  The owner picked us up from the airport (€50) and also drove us to the port to leave on the cruise.  Fabulous.  We stayed at the Palazzo Castellischi  https://palazzo-castelleschi-holiday-home.hotels-lazio.com/en/ which is a 1000 year-old wonderful small hotel.   Immaculate, & even has small kitchenette for breakfast or whatever.

Couldn't recommend it more highly, and we would both go back in a flash.  

IMG_3265.thumb.JPG.839cae6cff080cdbdd93eb6a25b262c9.JPGIMG_3261.thumb.JPG.e0784b88689df2b808313fac87630323.JPGPalazza.thumb.JPG.08717d9d414e4b11b82dd6e02383016b.JPG

Thanks for this suggestion! We had planned on staying in Civitavecchia one night precruise and visiting Tarquinia the day we arrived, but this is an interesting idea instead that I’ll look into!  I’ll see if the hotel still offers FCO pickup and transport to the port.