Transportation from Cruise Pier to Hemingway House?

swdke

What options, if any are available to get from the Cruise Pier to Hemingway House?  I know it's easily walkable, but one of my travelers is 82 and I'd like to minimize her walking, especially in the heat and humidity.  So are taxi or Uber available.?  Also, I'm aware of the hop on hop off trolley, but it would be easier to just catch some other ride.  Anyhow, appreciate all information and help.  Thanks so much.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, swdke said:

What options, if any are available to get from the Cruise Pier to Hemingway House?  I know it's easily walkable, but one of my travelers is 82 and I'd like to minimize her walking, especially in the heat and humidity.  So are taxi or Uber available.?  Also, I'm aware of the hop on hop off trolley, but it would be easier to just catch some other ride.  Anyhow, appreciate all information and help.  Thanks so much.

Count me as a Key West lover who, along with my wife, tried to get to the Keys as often as possible for a few night stay.  So we really want to help you enjoy your stay.  As a senior I have an understanding of your issue.    Here is a possible solution:

Key West's trusted name in Car, Scooter, and Bike rentals (hydrothunderofkeywest.com)

Their larger Electric Carts should work for your group and help solve the mobility issue.  I have never done it (DW and I can still walk miles and we do just that when in KW) but those carts are cute.  If I were dealing with your issue I would reserve the right size, have one healthy person go off the ship as early as possible and walk to where you can get the vehicle, and then that person can drive back to near the pier to pick up the others.  

Hank

On 7/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, swdke said:

Thank you for your reply, the carts to sound like fun.  Is it easy to find parking, say for going to the Hemingway house, or other attractions?  Thanks so much.

Those Electric Carts do not take a big parking space.  On the street parking (sometimes with parking meters) is not normally hard to find once you are away from the Mallory Square area.  While I have never rented one of those electric carts (DW and I still prefer to walk) they look like fun and do suit those who want to explore the areas downtown and nearby.

Hank

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Those Electric Carts do not take a big parking space.  On the street parking (sometimes with parking meters) is not normally hard to find once you are away from the Mallory Square area.  While I have never rented one of those electric carts (DW and I still prefer to walk) they look like fun and do suit those who want to explore the areas downtown and nearby.

Hank

Parking is no longer easy away from Mallory Square anywhere in the Duval/Whitehead corridor.  More spots have been turned into”residential only” spots so there are fewer than before.  In addition, it is busier here than ever.  It is like Christmas week.  Since all the Keys are extremely busy, many people staying on other islands drive in on day trips adding to the parking challenge.

Electric carts require a regular parking spot just like any car.  It is likely you will have to pay meters or use a parking lot.  There is a large lot at United and Duval which is very convenient.

If you do try to find free parking on the street, be very careful not to block driveways or gates and look closely on the ground for “permit parking” or “resident parking” before you leave.  Sometimes the painted notices on the ground can be hard to see.  Enforcement has really been stepped up due to large amount of visitors and limited parking.

7 minutes ago, keywester33 said:

Parking is no longer easy away from Mallory Square anywhere in the Duval/Whitehead corridor.  More spots have been turned into”residential only” spots so there are fewer than before.  In addition, it is busier here than ever.  It is like Christmas week.  Since all the Keys are extremely busy, many people staying on other islands drive in on day trips adding to the parking challenge.

Electric carts require a regular parking spot just like any car.  It is likely you will have to pay meters or use a parking lot.  There is a large lot at United and Duval which is very convenient.

If you do try to find free parking on the street, be very careful not to block driveways or gates and look closely on the ground for “permit parking” or “resident parking” before you leave.  Sometimes the painted notices on the ground can be hard to see.  Enforcement has really been stepped up due to large amount of visitors and limited parking.

Argh!  Taking away spaces from tourists is a bummer for we tourists.  On the other hand, we usually just leave our car at our hotel (they have indoor parking) and walk everywhere in town which means I do not have to be concerned with having one to many adult beverages.  This makes me wonder how many electric cart drivers have been cited for DWI?  As much as we love the Keys we have long wondered if we would get somethin akin to Island Fever if living in KW.  What say you?

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Argh!  Taking away spaces from tourists is a bummer for we tourists.  On the other hand, we usually just leave our car at our hotel (they have indoor parking) and walk everywhere in town which means I do not have to be concerned with having one to many adult beverages.  This makes me wonder how many electric cart drivers have been cited for DWI?  As much as we love the Keys we have long wondered if we would get somethin akin to Island Fever if living in KW.  What say you?

Hank

Yes, I do get island fever living here.  It’s a great place with nice people, but it’s very small.  I’m lucky that I can get away sometimes to a lake house I have up north and often visit family and friends in Chicago.  We also enjoy spending occasional weekends in Miami to get our City fix.  I’m not sure I would want to be here 52 weeks a year.

• 4 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, hammer76 said:

I believe the golf carts have a minimum rental of 2 or 3 days, or they did the last time we rented one.

I was looking at this same thing - I found this place that has 2 place (has Front/Rear seating, and then also 2, 4, & 6 person golf car type devices. 

https://www.arcimotokeywest.com/pricing/

The first hour is like $90 and about $12 for each hour after - (4 seater I think)

And - they will drop-off/pick-up the unit off at the ship.

Given the...uncertainty...of our HAL cruise being allowed to actually dock in the port of Key West in late January 2022, I decided to wait till much closer to make a reservation for a golf cart.

• Like 1