Cruising with oxygen

No, the line does not provide oxygen. What do you use at home? A concentrator or tanks? If a concentrator is it a portable one or one of the larger ones? Your doctor or oxygen supplier should be able to determine what type of machinery you need to continue to travel.

5 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

I’ve recently been put on oxygen.  We are scheduled on a princess cruise later this year.  Does the cruise line provide oxygen?  What is the best way to handle this.  Thank you for your help.

The Princess website says oxygen is not permitted.

Look at this link under oxygen:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

However, I would ask the Princess Access Department about this to ensure this policy is up-to-date.  Their Access Department contact is:   accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com  

Other cruise lines may permit oxygen.     

I just spoke to princess and first she said it was for new bookings only.  I told her I wanted something in writing so when I check in there are no problems.  She checked again and said unfortunately, no oxygen allowed at this time.

thanks for all your responses.

I just looked at the websites for the following cruise lines and they all allow guests using oxygen right now:

Celebrity

Royal Caribbean

Holland America

Norwegian

Disney

Carnival is scheduled to allow oxygen again beginning next year, as @1025cruise said above

They make it clear that the guests have to arrange for their own oxygen.   specialneedsatsea.com or scootaround.com can both provide oxygen to your cruise ship.  

There are restrictions so check with the cruise line's Access Dept to ensure that you are in compliance (you need to contact the Access Dept in any event to let them know you will be using oxygen).  

@bandgbasset:  Princess is owned by Carnival so possibly Princess will allow oxygen next year, too, although their website does not mention this.   Based on your circumstances, would Princess allow you to change your cruise to next year so there would be a better chance of oxygen being allowed?

Edited by kokopelli-az
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use an oxygen concentrator, I rent from the company that the cruiseline  allows to bring onboard the ship.

I do know most cruiselines do not allow oxygen tanks and some people who you ask are not aware of the difference. Good Luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

I just looked at the websites for the following cruise lines and they all allow guests using oxygen right now:

Celebrity

Royal Caribbean

Holland America

Norwegian

Disney

Carnival is scheduled to allow oxygen again beginning next year, as @1025cruise said above

They make it clear that the guests have to arrange for their own oxygen.   specialneedsatsea.com or scootaround.com can both provide oxygen to your cruise ship.  

There are restrictions so check with the cruise line's Access Dept to ensure that you are in compliance (you need to contact the Access Dept in any event to let them know you will be using oxygen).  

@bandgbasset:  Princess is owned by Carnival so possibly Princess will allow oxygen next year, too, although their website does not mention this.   Based on your circumstances, would Princess allow you to change your cruise to next year so there would be a better chance of oxygen being allowed?

I was curious about this, thanks for the info. I’m glad some lines allow it. I know some have a concern for fires.

The prohibition on oxygen concentrators is because it is felt that the underlying health conditions that require oxygen will be exacerbated by a covid infection, so those who require oxygen are prohibited from cruising.

Concentrators, pre-pandemic are almost universally accepted, and unregulated, except that Special Needs requires notification of its use, so that onboard it is noted on the ship's fire plan.  Oxygen tanks are also generally accepted, but the passenger has to arrange for the delivery, set up, and return of the equipment, so lines have "licensed" providers they deal with.  Just like a concentrator, a cabin with oxygen tanks will be noted on the fire plan, and in many cases, there will be a discreet sticker outside the door to alert fire teams.

Fire concerns for concentrators is not that great, as it doesn't store any oxygen, so if the unit or the cord burn, the flow of oxygen stops, while a tank set up has a considerable storage capacity.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on the Princess Board, it seems information is easier to find on the Princess site if you are in the UK.  I imagine their reasons remain valid for US sailings 

1. Why are you denying boarding for guests who require supplementary oxygen, medical ventilatory support or Dialysis?

We are so sorry to have to make this change, but we need to follow new health protocols for the protection of everyone on board. If you are unsure or have concerns, we’ve produced a medical advisory note for you to discuss with your GP.

Specifically to address each point:

Supplementary oxygen (including via oxygen concentrator) – To comply with health and safety regulations there is a limit on board for how much Oxygen we can store. Unfortunately as we will be increasing our own supply of Oxygen on board we will be unable to carry additional supplies for individual guests.

Mechanical ventilatory support (except for overnight CPAP for sleep apnoea, guests who only require overnight CPAP for sleep apnoea can travel) – The mechanical ventilators that we hold in the medical centre on board need to be retained for medical centre use, therefore we would not be able to support if the guests equipment fails.

Dialysis – This requirement presents a time critical need for treatment, if we are not able to access replacement dialysis equipment/fluids if needed this brings about a significant risk to the guest.

My wife has cruised with an oxygen concentrator since 2018.  But alas, we are now unable to cruise with Princess due to the fact they have decided not to allow individuals who use oxygen to cruise on their ships.

Hi Famski,  We're in the same situation.  My husband started on oxygen a few years ago and have only cruised once with it in 11/2019.  He has an Inogen G5 with 2 batteries.  He used it when out of the cabin and on excursions.  We rented a concentrator from Special Needs at Sea for use in the room. He had no problems.  We have a 15 day Hawaiian cruise with Princess in March 2022 so we're hoping they change their rules by then.  Fingers crossed for you as well.🙂