Swimming Solo

latebuyer

Just wondering what people do when they want to swim in the pool? Do people just leave their cruise card within sight? I am interested in going to the Caribbean. I guess there is no way to swim at a beach. I guess i could wade in.

It is my understanding that there are some waterproof pouches/devices that will hold small items like a cruise card.  My swimming trunks have a deep pocket and I place the card in that pocket.  Haven't lost it yet.

If I use the ship's spa, the spa's registration desk may want your card to hold in order for you to have a locker key.  

• Like 1

On the ship I don’t worry about it. On the off chance someone stole your card, I am sure passenger services would reverse any unauthorised charges. At the beach I use a waterproof pouch that can hold my phone, cruise card, credit card and a bit of cash. Google “waterproof phone pouch” and you’ll find lots of options. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. Do you take the waterproof pouch underwater? I think i’d be nervous about it. I suppose in the caribbean my phone would be useless and i wouldn’t need to bring it so cash and cards would be ok.

Edited by christinand

I tested my pouch at home - filled it with tissues and plunged it in the sink 🙂 as long as you get a good quality one it will be waterproof. I do wear it in the water. I wear it around my neck, so need to be mindful it doesn’t slip off when swimming.

I bring my phone for taking pictures and to keep track of time. But if you don’t bring a phone and you have a waterproof watch (never want to cut it too close getting back on board!) your cards would be fine getting wet, so you could just wear swim shorts with a pocket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have done the following in different situations:

1. I have a pair of swim shorts with a zippered pocket if I just want my key card

2. I have a fanny pack that has a waterproof pouch

3. Sometimes I just decide to be trusting and keep my phone and key card in a purse/backpack/something like that on my lounger or under my lounger, especially if I can keep it in view

I bought a lockable security pouch to use when we go to the water parks at Disney.  I haven’t used it yet.  But it locks to your deck chair with a cable, and then you use a luggage lock to close the pouch.  

I have a small waterproof pouch that I can put my cash and ID and cruise card in. Before getting that, I would just put everything in my pocket. Water doesn't hurt the cruise cards or medallions. And I only ran across one taxi driver who complained that my cash was wet. He still took it. 

When shopping for swim suits, I always look for ones that have a zippered pocket or full Velcro closure (not just a little tab).

• Like 2

On the ship:

I leave them in my bag and if someone steals them I go to the front desk tell them, get a new one and double check my charges.  I have never had one stolen on a ship.

On the beach:

The cabin card, drivers license and my credit card are plastic.  Money can get wet and is still good.  I just keep them in my shorts or swim trunks.  

** The big problem is my phone.  It is a iPhone and can go under water but it is big and bulky.  I dont' like to but if I am by myself I leave it in the cabin.

• Like 1

I bring a book, my sunglasses and my sandals and a cover up.......it goes on a lounger with a towel.

Never had an issue on the ship.

For the ship, I made a small funny card to leave on my chair while I’m in the water or running for a quick break.  It helps to let people know I’m not  “chair hog” who saves a chair for hours. 

For the beach, I have a waterproof pouch like others have described. 

I suspect most people around you really don't want to mess with your stuff.  There are the occasional opportunist, but most people are busy with their own lives.  Certainly on ship - as long as the new electronic arm bands and cards are waterproof, ask staff at the main desk to punch a hole in your card and add it to a lanyard or wrist band for ship board use.  

Yes, you can definitely go to the beach.  I have been using a waterproof phone type pouch for over 10 years.  It can be a bit annoying floating around your neck or arm, but it works.  The neck strap often has a slide on it to shorten it or tighten it to your arm. When on a snorkel excursion, I just trust.  I stuff a little cash and my card deep into my bag, sometimes inside something else, and then enjoy the water.

• 3 weeks later...

On the ship I don’t worry about it, if I happen to spot another solo I’ll ask them to keep an eye on my bag/towel, but the reality is any thief has nowhere to go. There are cameras everywhere and ship security would track them down pretty speedily.

off ship I tend to go with an excursion of some sort so I’m with a group and there’s usually someone in the group that won’t be swimming. But I do bring my phone with me in a waterproof pouch. 
there are a number of devices you can get for peace of mind.

A waterproof phone pouch; key safe/beach vault that locks to a sun lounger, decoy nappy,  etc… there are all sorts of solutions. 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, eileeshb said:

On the ship I don’t worry about it, if I happen to spot another solo I’ll ask them to keep an eye on my bag/towel,

I have been asked to that by solo cruisers, but by others as well.  Agreeing to do so, I now have an "obligation".  It's a situation that I find uncomfortable.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the ship, I just usually hide my phone in the bag and underneath a towel. If I'm going to a public beach, I mostly won't bring my credit card with me, just some cash, ID, and phone. I'm debating if I want to bring a lock or waterproof pouch. 

I know many have said not to worry on the ship, but there has been threads on here in the past of passengers witnessing other people shoplifting, so have to bit a bit careful regardless.

• Like 1