RCL - rotational dining. Is this true?

I heard somewhere that Royal is moving to rotational dining style where every night you go to a different restaurant and the wait staff follows you. Disney has been doing this for a long time. I can’t find anything official on this new model. Is this true?

10 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

I heard somewhere that Royal is moving to rotational dining style where every night you go to a different restaurant and the wait staff follows you. Disney has been doing this for a long time. I can’t find anything official on this new model. Is this true?

Nope. 

The original Dynamic Dining was terrible in my one exposure to it, but I was on the very first sailing that it was introduced (Quantum TA - Nov 2014).  You had to reserve dining each night (and this being Royal IT, it was a very painful experience) or go standby and you had different waitstaff each time.

Later they added a Dynamic Dining "Classic" option which was either early or late seating but you (and your waitstaff) rotated between the four MDR restaurants.  Menu were themed for each restaurant. I chose that option for the Anthem Oct/Nov 2015 TA.  I really liked that.

31 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

Where did you hear this obviously incorrect news?

26 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The original Dynamic Dining was terrible in my one exposure to it, but I was on the very first sailing that it was introduced (Quantum TA - Nov 2014).  You had to reserve dining each night (and this being Royal IT, it was a very painful experience) or go standby and you had different waitstaff each time.

I was on Quantum from Bayonne in Feb 2015 and was so delighted with DD, i was hoping it would go fleet wide but in response to the OP and as others have noted.

Royal tried it, significant pushback from its guests(in general) so done and gone, although it would great with Quantum Ultra class hey?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I thought they tried that years ago and quickly cancelled it. Dynamic dining or something similar.

this is correct,  the response from a lot of guests was a resounding NO, we do not like it!

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The original Dynamic Dining was terrible in my one exposure to it, but I was on the very first sailing that it was introduced (Quantum TA - Nov 2014). 

Yet, for others, it was an enjoyable experience on the same sailing.

• Like 1

We did a Disney cruise years ago with a bunch of families, the rotating dining was fun, but the ship was designed for it. The don't have 1 main dining room, they have 3, each holding 1/3 of the guests, and all themed totally differently.

Unless you build the ship to specifically do this, I don't see either how you could have rotational dining with 1 main dining room and a number of smaller venues, or what the point of rotating between main dining room floors would be.

If you're going to go "Dynamic Dining", then I think you have to go how I understand Virgin Voyages will operate where you don't have any "main" dining rooms, you just have a bunch of different restaurants/venues, and even no set dining times. But again, you have to specifically build the ship to operate that way, you really can't retrofit it. Well, maybe if you chop up the main dining room space into a bunch of smaller venues that all share the main kitchen.

• Like 4

Dynamic Dining is alive and well and operating very successfully on X Edge class.  Why on earth has it been accepted without a peep there whereas on RCI it was akin to dining with the devil himself.

Personally I loved DD. @Another_Critic I was also on that inaugural Quantum TA. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

Dynamic Dining is alive and well and operating very successfully on X Edge class.  Why on earth has it been accepted without a peep there whereas on RCI it was akin to dining with the devil himself.

Personally I loved DD. @Another_Critic I was also on that inaugural Quantum TA. 

So on Edge class you must make your reservations ahead of the cruise for each night at each of the different dining venues ???

Will the menus at each of the different dining areas have a set menu that doesn't change like the original DD ??

50 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

So on Edge class you must make your reservations ahead of the cruise for each night at each of the different dining venues ???

Will the menus at each of the different dining areas have a set menu that doesn't change like the original DD ??

No need to make reservations. 
On Edge each dining room will serve the same menu that changes daily; however each dining room also serves 3 starters and 3 entrees that are unique to that restaurants theme and these do not change.

To me this seems so simple. It seems to be an evolution of DD.  So Silk could serve a few Asian dishes alongside the regular menu. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2

It was on Anthem when we were onboard the first time like 6 years ago and we loved it.  The menus were different too.  For some reason, RCI got rid of it not long after.  Most ships don't have multiple dining rooms like Anthem.  Other classes just have one main dining room so how could they move people to others?  This topic pops up every once in a while because someone reads an old post or someone else brings it up on another site without all the facts.  I really enjoyed the different menus and change of scenery.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BND said:

Other classes just have one main dining room so how could they move people to others?

Before its cancelation, RCI planned to roll out DD to Oasis class ships, they even renamed ( same as Q class) the different decks of the MDR to line up with DD.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Before its cancelation, RCI planned to roll out DD to Oasis class ships, they even renamed ( same as Q class) the different decks of the MDR to line up with DD.

Okay, that could work of course.  Just different than the actual separate restaurants on Quantum class.  I do doubt they would revisit this though.  I never understood why some people disliked it though.  

6 minutes ago, BND said:

.  I never understood why some people disliked it though.  

There were many DD hater threads on CC in 2015 about it. @Merion_Momstarted one as I recall to defend DD, but like many other CC threads, they descend into endless post whoring bickering.

45 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There were many DD hater threads on CC in 2015 about it. @Merion_Momstarted one as I recall to defend DD, but like many other CC threads, they descend into endless post whoring bickering.

I hear ya. I loved the dynamic dining concept.

Never understood why it was so hated.

Oh yes I suppose those folks who want traditional pampering by same waiters and eat with same folks would be annoyed.

Hmm making reservations must have been too much to handle. Wonder how they managed that famous mouse theme park?

Oh and let us not forget those same complainers caused changes to Northstar.

Mid 2016 on Anthem they stopped going over the side complaining not everyone had  chance. However later in the fall I was on again and plenty of times the line was not full. But the operator would still not do it.

So for me I was glad I sailed Anthem of seas in early 2016 when DD and full Northstar was enjoyable. Thanks a lot you complainers for ruining a good thing.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh yes I suppose those folks who want traditional pampering by same waiters and eat with same folks would be annoyed.

Hmm making reservations must have been too much to handle. Wonder how they managed that famous mouse theme park?

Mid 2016 on Anthem they stopped going over the side complaining not everyone had  chance. However later in the fall I was on again and plenty of times the line was not full. But the operator would still not do it.

So for me I was glad I sailed Anthem of seas in early 2016 when DD and full Northstar was enjoyable. Thanks a lot you complainers for ruining a good thing.

With DD, your tablemates and servers moved with you.

53 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Anthem goes over the side again now but only if you pay $29 for the extended ride! A straight up and down is still complimentary!