Trip Insurance Issue

KarimaJ

Hi all. I have gotten quotes on Insuremytrip.com which I typically use for my cruises/airfare. However when selecting the cruise line Crystal is not on the list of cruise lines.  I tried this with Nationwide and Berkshire. I chatted the help desk and they say it isn't a covered cruise line and to pick another policy. I tried this and they don't appear on the list. Could Crystal possibly be under another name?

Which insurance companies do you use? 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

Hi all. I have gotten quotes on Insuremytrip.com which I typically use for my cruises/airfare. However when selecting the cruise line Crystal is not on the list of cruise lines.  I tried this with Nationwide and Berkshire. I chatted the help desk and they say it isn't a covered cruise line and to pick another policy. I tried this and they don't appear on the list. Could Crystal possibly be under another name?

Which insurance companies do you use? 

Thanks!

Hello we booked with Crystal for the insurance which is Allianz insurance. I also always book with a credit card that has travel insurance coverage so we are double covered. 

Hope this helps 

8 hours ago, KarimaJ said:

... Could Crystal possibly be under another name?...

Howdy @KarimaJemo22.gif

At this time Cruise Critic has a special forum Q&A: Cruise Insurance with the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2021 for questions such as yours. Perhaps Steve will be able to help you there. He will be here through the months of June & July 2021.

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

Just for what it is worth.  I don’t know if any travellers are from Canada but if you are please do a thorough check of your travel insurance.  My policy does not cover Covid related issues as the Canadian Government continues to stress no international travel unless essential.  A separate Covid rider is required if you elect to travel outside of Canada.  Until Canada relaxes their travel warning this will be the case.  I don’t think the US has this edict anymore, but the question should be asked when buying the insurance.

1 hour ago, hubbards said:

Just for what it is worth.  I don’t know if any travellers are from Canada but if you are please do a thorough check of your travel insurance.  My policy does not cover Covid related issues as the Canadian Government continues to stress no international travel unless essential.  A separate Covid rider is required if you elect to travel outside of Canada.  Until Canada relaxes their travel warning this will be the case.  I don’t think the US has this edict anymore, but the question should be asked when buying the insurance.

Good advice. If I may, I would like to add that one’s understanding of the policy (credit card policies also)should be requested and confirmed in writing. 

We do not require a separate Covid rider for our travel insurance policy in Canada because the company we use does cover Covid in their latest general policy for emergency medical coverage regardless of Government travel advisories.  There are some limitations for Covid related trip cancellation/delay. 

• Thanks 1

Look at Travel Insured International.  They have excellent plans available which include medical coverage.  All trip protection is not created equal - be sure to read the entire policy, it will be worth your time if you need to file a claim.  Do not rely on your travel agent to do it for you!

Liz

Someone had posted a referral to an agent which I assume was taken down. Anyway I ended up calling them and they got me a good plan even cheaper then what I was looking at online thanks 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. A question about Trawick. Do their policies include international cruising? I'm a UK resident and because of a government advisory, we cannot get cruise insurance. I've just stumbled upon Trawick and noticed that they offer insurance for non US residents and I'm hoping that this could be the workaround I've been looking for 🙏

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy

1 hour ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Hello everyone. A question about Trawick. Do their policies include international cruising? I'm a UK resident and because of a government advisory, we cannot get cruise insurance. I've just stumbled upon Trawick and noticed that they offer insurance for non US residents and I'm hoping that this could be the workaround I've been looking for 🙏

Probably someone on the insurance or UK threads could assist and give you direction. I would recommend that you contact the company directly.   Request their policy as regards non-US residents, whether the policy is applicable regardless of Covid-19 government advisories in the policy holder’s country of residence and that you have coverage for land, sea and air ( not only international cruising)  IN WRITING.   Any written confirmation should clearly indicate their policies for emergency medical, trip interruption and trip cancellation for Covid-19.

• Like 1

Some info for UK residents - clearly not advice but my finding from a few calls and emails. Cedartree seem to offer policies underwritten by AXA. They say the key driver on their policy is the country FCDO advise and not the cruise specific advice. 

23 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Some info for UK residents - clearly not advice but my finding from a few calls and emails. Cedartree seem to offer policies underwritten by AXA. They say the key driver on their policy is the country FCDO advise and not the cruise specific advice. 

Also looks like Cover For You able to assist UK cruisers. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:58 PM, Cancun01 said:

Good advice. If I may, I would like to add that one’s understanding of the policy (credit card policies also)should be requested and confirmed in writing. 

We do not require a separate Covid rider for our travel insurance policy in Canada because the company we use does cover Covid in their latest general policy for emergency medical coverage regardless of Government travel advisories.  There are some limitations for Covid related trip cancellation/delay. 

Can I ask what insurance you used, as an Ontarian I am not sure what to look up other than my Sunlife which covers travel health and my credit card, I am not travelling until June 2022, but would like to be prepared 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 11:55 AM, Babes03 said:

Can I ask what insurance you used, as an Ontarian I am not sure what to look up other than my Sunlife which covers travel health and my credit card, I am not travelling until June 2022, but would like to be prepared 🙂

Johnson/Medoc….www.Johnson.ca

note:   you would need to confirm but I do not think they cover trip interruption if you are declined boarding because of a pre-embarkation positive Covid test

Medoc Travel Insurance will cover medical emergencies for COVID-19 to the same extent as any other illness or injury while travelling outside your province of residence (as long as this was not pre-existing prior to departure). This is applicable regardless of your mode of travel be it by land, sea or air. 

Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption coverage for anything COVID-19 related would not be covered. Other insured risks in the policy for Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption remain covered. 

• 2 weeks later...

It might be useful to gather responses from people who have actually collected on policies instead of just bought them.  It's easy to buy insurance, but you can learn the hard way the insurance company has no intention of paying like I did.  Do not use AIG Travel Guard.  They won't pay.  Look them up on BBB to see the horror stories.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jclinard said:

It might be useful to gather responses from people who have actually collected on policies instead of just bought them.  It's easy to buy insurance, but you can learn the hard way the insurance company has no intention of paying like I did.  Do not use AIG Travel Guard.  They won't pay.  Look them up on BBB to see the horror stories.  

They don't pay out for claims that were not covered. That also covers 99% of the bad reviews on BBB.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

They don't pay out for claims that were not covered. That also covers 99% of the bad reviews on BBB.

They didn't pay my claim.

As I said, it would be far more useful to get recommendations for insurance companies that paid their claims instead the ones that just sold policies.  Buying a policy is easy.  Collecting on it is hard.

2 hours ago, jclinard said:

They didn't pay my claim.

As I said, it would be far more useful to get recommendations for insurance companies that paid their claims instead the ones that just sold policies.  Buying a policy is easy.  Collecting on it is hard.

I would imagine that this is your post and the one you are referencing.

There were many experienced and professional people on that thread who explained what went right and what went wrong.

They politely explained that AIG wasn't going to pay out since you received a voucher.

A few also explained what potential options you had to challenge the AIG ruling.

I'm not sure if you followed up or not.

What I do know is that you adamantly felt and still feel you were right and that everyone else is wrong. Even though it has been clearly explained.

I recently had a medical need in Mexico. My claim was denied also. Why? Because I failed to consult with the insurance company BEFORE we went to the ER. Was that denial fair? Not in my opinion. However, the policy clearly stated that I needed to seek their permission prior to any covered service. I sought opinions from various sources and they agreed that the insurance company was in the right.

So, do I keep whining and crying because it wasn't fair like I'm a 1st grader? Or do I just take it and learn from it?

Myself? I learned from it and share my experience hoping I can help others from preventing the same mistake.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

There were many experienced and professional people on that thread who explained what went right and what went wrong.

They politely explained that AIG wasn't going to pay out since you received a voucher.

A few also explained what potential options you had to challenge the AIG ruling.

What I do know is that you adamantly felt and still feel you were right and that everyone else is wrong. Even though it has been clearly explained.

I recently had a medical need in Mexico. My claim was denied also. Why? Because I failed to consult with the insurance company BEFORE we went to the ER. Was that denial fair? Not in my opinion. However, the policy clearly stated that I needed to seek their permission prior to any covered service. I sought opinions from various sources and they agreed that the insurance company was in the right.

So, do I keep whining and crying because it wasn't fair like I'm a 1st grader? Or do I just take it and learn from it?

Myself? I learned from it and share my experience hoping I can help others from preventing the same mistake.

What insurer(s) require you to 'get permission' before going to the ER?

In some cases, there simply is NO time to waste to get to the ER, not without risking worse harm or even death.

Or was it also a function of the nature of the illness or injury?

That's a bit frightening, actually, to think one MUST contact an insurer BEFORE getting to the ER in a case of life or death.

GC

• Like 1

And with your post, you've proven exactly why people should be getting travel insurance recommendations from people who have collected (or at least tried to) collect on the policy.  I tried to collect and I was denied.  You tried  to collect and were denied.  The only useful recommendations are from people who tried to collect and actually received the benefit.  

With AIG I appealed, was denied, pointed out I could not legally fly to Copenhagen and was denied, and finally got a refund from Air Canada.  I read their travel insurance policy and decided there was no circumstances upon which they would actually pay a claim.  That's why I'm not buying travel insurance for flights anymore.  The only condition I could meet would be if I died, and then the money won't mean anything.  I doubt my heirs would even be informed they could collect on the policy.  

For my February trip I bought refundable tickets instead of insurance.  Travel Guard may have scammed me once, but they won't get a penny from me ever again.  It may have cost me an extra $500 or so, but at least if that trip is canceled I can get a refund.  

1 hour ago, klfrodo said: