Trip Insurance Issue

KarimaJ

36 minutes ago, jclinard said:

And with your post, you've proven exactly why people should be getting travel insurance recommendations from people who have collected (or at least tried to) collect on the policy.  I tried to collect and I was denied.  You tried  to collect and were denied.  The only useful recommendations are from people who tried to collect and actually received the benefit.  

With AIG I appealed, was denied, pointed out I could not legally fly to Copenhagen and was denied, and finally got a refund from Air Canada.  I read their travel insurance policy and decided there was no circumstances upon which they would actually pay a claim.  That's why I'm not buying travel insurance for flights anymore.  The only condition I could meet would be if I died, and then the money won't mean anything.  I doubt my heirs would even be informed they could collect on the policy.  

For my February trip I bought refundable tickets instead of insurance.  Travel Guard may have scammed me once, but they won't get a penny from me ever again.  It may have cost me an extra $500 or so, but at least if that trip is canceled I can get a refund.  

We've had several claims with Travel Insured, and all were paid without any problem, including two large claims.

We got them through www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They recommended the specific insurer and policy type, give our particular travel concerns.

They also helped once with a claim, but it wasn't because of denial.  We happened to be submitting claims from a European trip, but at a time when many others seemed to start sending in claims due to a couple of hurricanes.  Bad timing!  But Steve helped get our claim noticed in a more timely fashion, and the rest was routine.

The only thing that was denied was on one claim when we totally forgot to get receipts for two tips to taxi drivers.  We had the receipts for the taxi fare, but we didn't have the tip added in or documented somehow.  But that was so minor, and it was indeed a situation where we had no "proof" that we'd paid anything at all that needed reimbursing.  (Cash, not a charge, alas.)

We have no problem with an insurer requiring proof that there was a financial loss AND that the cause of the loss was for a covered reason.

Our policies may cost a bit extra because there are may be fewer exclusions than with some other policies.  But they paid, which is what matters.

GC

48 minutes ago, jclinard said:

And with your post, you've proven exactly why people should be getting travel insurance recommendations from people who have collected (or at least tried to) collect on the policy.  I tried to collect and I was denied.  You tried  to collect and were denied.    

YOU tried to collect on a claim that was clearly spelled out in the Terms and Conditions for something that wasn't covered.

Same with me. The Terms and Conditions clearly spelled out that I was to call and notify them prior to any medical treatment. I did not do that. Therefore my claim was denied. I appealed and was denied. My State Insurance Commissioner wrote them and was denied. My State Insurance Commissioner agreed with the insurance company that I failed to follow procedures as spelled out in the policy.

Now, I also understand that when your wife is hurt, laying on the ground and bleeding profusely from the head that it is a bit difficult to stand there and remember to read your insurance policy to see what the next step should be,,,,,, but,,,, thems the rules.

Accept responsibility for your own failure to comply.

I was able to recover about 75% of my out of pocket expense thru another source. Why did I only recover 75% of my out of pocket expenses? Because I failed to fully comply with their Terms and Conditions also.

Everything in life has Terms and Conditions one must adhere to so one may receive 100% satisfaction.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

YOU tried to collect on a claim that was clearly spelled out in the Terms and Conditions for something that wasn't covered.

Same with me. The Terms and Conditions clearly spelled out that I was to call and notify them prior to any medical treatment. I did not do that. Therefore my claim was denied. I appealed and was denied. My State Insurance Commissioner wrote them and was denied. My State Insurance Commissioner agreed with the insurance company that I failed to follow procedures as spelled out in the policy.

Now, I also understand that when your wife is hurt, laying on the ground and bleeding profusely from the head that it is a bit difficult to stand there and remember to read your insurance policy to see what the next step should be,,,,,, but,,,, thems the rules.

Accept responsibility for your own failure to comply.

I was able to recover about 75% of my out of pocket expense thru another source. Why did I only recover 75% of my out of pocket expenses? Because I failed to fully comply with their Terms and Conditions also.

Everything in life has Terms and Conditions one must adhere to so one may receive 100% satisfaction.

As I travel alone, I’m going to take that as a warning I can’t expect a stranger to follow the insurance guidelines.  Given a low probability of collecting under those circumstances, I may drop insurance completely.