On the Edge Now…Cutbacks. 🙁

lux4me

16 hours ago, bajathree said:

We sailed June 26th sailing in a Sky Suite. The only issues we noticed was first night in Luminae where dinner was slow...but nothing out of the ordinary for the first night...and breakfast day 2 where there was a major failure of some sort going on and breakfast took 1.5hrs. Everyone complained about that breakfast including the manager who was trying to figure why orders were taking that long to come out. By lunchtime day 2 they had corrected whatever issue was going on and it was smooth sailing from there (no pun intended). We found service to be wonderful both in and out of the Retreat. I don't eat a lot in Oceanview but didn't find any issue finding something I wanted the couple times I was in there. As for Eden...the show that they had pre-pandemic wasn't my favorite so it wasn't missed. I do think they are still finding their way with Eden....it did seem a bit boring in that space to me this time around but in all fairness we were only sailing at 36% capacity and the martini bar seemed to get the better draw of people.

Thanks for your comments and insight.

16 hours ago, lux4me said:

We are happy to be back at sea. But we do believe in value for dollar.  We also know what good service is, as we have sailed Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania multiple times. our issue is if things are not 100% then don’t charge the full price.  It’s not the consumers job to suck it up while the business gets it’s affairs in order.  Hotels charge less during a “soft opening”.  If I can’t give my customers 100% of a promise that is not fair to them and their investment. 
plus with the billions Celebrity   have lost do you really think many of these things will totally come back.  

Look at the new go green program.  Celebrity is doing this to reduce cost and in lieu giving you something that costs them almost nothing…points.  They will see how many people sign up for it and then cut housekeeping to once a day.   

So the first cruise after March 2020 and a pandemic and a shutdown.  And your expectations were to step on board to a perfect cruise?  Maybe so and you certainly have a right to state your expectations and opinions. It is your money.  If you got a discount would your opinion change at all?  Some of your fellow passengers are very positive with perhaps adjusted expectations.  It is good to hear all of your views.  It helps the rest of us.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lux4me said:

We are not complaining.  We are just stating what we see.  We are deliriously happy  to be back on a ship again and we are very privileged to be able to live the life we do. We have another 21 days of crusing booked this year.   What we are saying is that this is not the same product it was before the shutdown and Celebrity is charging the same prices.  

Or higher prices.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lux4me said:

Yes we did speak to senior staff about the issues and they advised to bear with them through the “restart pains”.  Posting on cruise critic was for others to know what is going on onboard.  And others can make their decisions on what is good for them. Take away the varnish and the wow of ships being back for the first time in 18 months.  Yes…That is great…and all of us can’t wait to get back on the ships , But let’s take the emotion out of it.   Was I promised less of an experience when I booked?  All I was told is “we’re back”.  So we took them at their word, and paid our fare.   When Disney world reopened after the pandemic they said publicly that it would be with reduced staff and that all things may not be open.  Which is fine…Then the travelers have a choice to continue on with their vacation, postpone or cancel.  We were never afforded that.  We are on a ship and had a wonderful trip and know there are thousands of people who would love to switch places with us.   But that still does not make what Celebrity did right.   We will not be contacting Celebrity headquarters looking for a future cruise discount.  We have chosen just to move on to other companies.  

Thanks for this it helps.  Maybe you and other passengers could list the areas, venues, etc. that are not open or are very reduced in capacity/service from pre-pandemic sailings?  It seems "We're Back" is all some people need but others want to know the details.

14 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I’m from the NYC area where at the beginning of the pandemic we spent our days watching body bags being put into refrigerated truck outside of overrun, understaffed hospitals. We counted the number of people we knew that were struck down by this awful virus. My husband and I fought about who should take the risk to go to the grocery store considering our health issues, and once there the shelves were empty. We didn’t see our friends and family in person for over a year.  I, for one, am very happy to be able to be going on a cruise, at any price! I understand and don’t fault the OP for wanting to get what you pay for, but I’m so deliriously happy to be alive, vaccinated and finally able to be with people having fun, that nothing is going to effect my having a good time!!

Good for you.  We are sailing with Apex on November 27 with the exact same attitude.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CajunHeavyCruiser said:

We are also on EQ Aug 1, going in with eyes wide open.  Hope to get some good actionable information from the EQ’s July 25 cruisers.

We just finished a B2B on the Millennium and also just booked the August 1st Equinox sailing. Everything on the Millennium was decent but much like the OP's comments about missing variety and pasta station in the Oceanview. I really missed the Pasta Bar and let them know (light heartily) everyday for two weeks. It was a standing joke between the manager and I. I hope it appears on the Equinox for sure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Edward51 said:

Good for you.  We are sailing with Apex on November 27 with the exact same attitude.  

Thanks. Enjoy the Apex. I’m hoping to sail on her soon. Hopefully any minor issues will be worked out before you board. I leave on the Edge in 2 days!!!! When I booked it I considered waiting for the industry to be back on its feet a bit longer but I decided to just go for it. If the virus taught me anything is not to put off things, since tomorrow is not promised. Any minor hiccups on my sailing will be the offset by the sheer joy of being on the water again, at a time when most cruise ships are not. Have a great cruise!!

• Like 10

I’m not sure I’ve ever had a perfect 100% experience in life.  😜  Restaurants, hotels, cruises, etc…all seem to have some glitch somewhere.  This has never stopped my enjoying the experience.  If I expected every meal in a restaurant to be perfect…spotless rest rooms, smiling friendly staff, other patrons using their indoor voices and not their cell phones, my husband’s steak the exact shade of raw, every dish perfection…I would spend most of my time disappointed.

I didn’t take the slogan “We’re Back!” to mean much more than “we’re finally finally finally free to sail with customers again!”

That being said, of course the OP’s opinion is valid to their experience and a timely heads up to other like minded people who are expecting these early cruises to be business as usual.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like to hear both sides of the experience, elements people have enjoyed and also the elements people have been disappointed at. Disappointment is very subjective as a lot of the other posts show, but it’s not cruise debate (it’s cruise critic)

I am looking forward to being back on board, and as mentioned earlier by a poster seeing both sides (and the potential issues) can only be good for managing expectations. When I spoke with a celebrity operator a few months ago on the phone they termed the cruises as “return to service cruises” and so may not be what they were before - this helped manage my expectation for sure. 

I can’t wait for the industry to go from strength to strength as they find their footing, and will continue I’m sure to love stepping on board a celebrity ship 🤩

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Capt Kate is the most famous Capt, there really isn't a number two.  Pasta station is somewhat disappointing, it's one of the most under-rated food items on the ship.

Captain Johnny on Royal is very famous; him and his scooter and motorcycle. LOL.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 9:50 AM, lux4me said:

We are sailing currently on the Edge.  We LOVE being back at sea,   But unfortunately the cutbacks are noticeable. No shows in Eden except for a band at night.   Ship is sailing with 60% crew. 15 min wait for an omelette at the buffet in the am. .  Lack of variety at the buffet (breakfast and lunch) while areas of buffet closed(sandwich station gone, no pasta station).  Dishes served at dinner with missing items.  Some dishes are still very good, others very pedestrian.  Service has been very hit and miss,  I know they are back for 2 weeks.  They are trying,  but the fact is I paid full price,  and the onboard product is not quite ready, especially for the rates Celebrity is asking.
 If anyone has any questions will be happy to answer

Is the Eden show in rehearsals with a start date???

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Captain Johnny on Royal is very famous; him and his scooter and motorcycle. LOL.

LOL glad you mentioned him--I was just asking DH what was the name of the one captain we have had that was very visible--and I remember that motorcycle!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seany527 said:

The people on this thread are lunatics. God forbid someone post their opinion. 

I totally agree and learned my lesson posting an opinion on here.  
The people who respond to an opinion with “ I take your opinion with a grain of salt”, or elude you are looking for something need to think.  You have no idea who I am. You don’t know me  I could be a travel expert for Condé Nast or I could be a person on their first cruise.  Either way an opinion is one person’s perspective, and should not be fluffed off or disrespected the was it is constantly done here.  People jump out of their skin over what they may not want to hear.    I’m done with Cruise Critic 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, lux4me said:

The people who respond to an opinion with “ I take your opinion with a grain of salt”, or elude you are looking for something need to think.  You have no idea who I am. You don’t know me  I could be a travel expert for Condé Nast or I could be a person on their first cruise.  Either way an opinion is one person’s perspective, and should not be fluffed off or disrespected the was it is constantly done here.  People jump out of their skin over what they may not want to hear.    I’m done with Cruise Critic 

Please don't let the haters deter you! I found your information quite helpful as I am sailing on the Equinox's first sailing on the 25th and now I know to temper my expectations a bit. For every person that jumped down your throat there are at least ten like me who found your perspective incredibly useful!

• Like 11

@lux4me, please don’t be done with Cruise Critic. 

There are are thousands of posters on here that don’t jump into every topic, me being one, but do take what is said on board and judge the information accordingly. 

What matters to you is valid and informs others, whether they agree or disagree. 

Sometimes one has to play to the audience and couch the message accordingly. 

Im a Brit living in Canada. Quite often I find the USA culture subtly (and sometimes not so) different than my mixed culture and adjust how I read to suit. I’m sure that works in reverse too. 

Cheers, h. 

Ha! @JamieLogicalwe were mind melding. 

Edited by middlehaitch
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, lux4me said:

People jump out of their skin over what they may not want to hear.    I’m done with Cruise Critic 

Don’t be done with it. Your post have actually been very helpful to me in the past. 

• Like 5

Thanks for your post Lux. I have a live report going and several of your comments are similar to mine. The buffet, for instance has been hit or miss. My first morning the omlette lines were long on both sides. The next day, one side had no wait while the other was like 10 people deep. Go figure. I think timing plays into that. But I'll echo that dinner service in the buffet is seriously lacking. Sure, the MDR is always there but we just didn't feel like a table service meal one night. Of course we're all excited to be back to cruising and aren't taking anything that's happened over the past 16 months for granted. I'm hopeful our comments and reports help people with their upcoming vacations and answer any lingering questions that are out there.

• Like 4

I agree lux4me- don´t just go. I state my opinion all the time- sometimes I get flammed ( which i usual ignore and go with my life) - but really - only sometimes. So many wonderful and happy cruises here on these boards- and not to forget- so many usefull and helpfull information. I found our fellow cruise critic memeber are alway there to help one out, when one has a question- for that alone I am very thankful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lux4me said:

I’m done with Cruise Critic 

I'm sure there's a number of lurkers, myself included, who value your comments.

Also, you have the best avatar on CruiseCritic, so you must stay. Don't let the lunatics drive you away. The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paper boy brings more.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Have been reading these boards for many years. My observation is that people's activity is not spread uniformly in time. Rather it often peaks close to boarding and immediately after the debarkation. This certainly results in a comprehension bias. If you are excited to be on board soon, you do not want to get any bad news. It is much more comfortable to blame the messenger. 

Edited by voyager1964
grammar
  • Like 2

I appreciate an unvarnished report on what is lacking and what is wonderful.  I didn't book an early cruise because I want there to be enough time for everything to settle down, and I would have hated to be one of the test people for the re-opening, especially when St Maartin and Barbados were changing the rules in the days before the first cruise!  I would have had ulcers!!

I am planning on reading these posts carefully over the next few months to decide on whether to keep my cruise or cancel.  What will Florida/the Courts/Celebrity do about the "vaccination passports"?  When things settle down, what ports will allow private and/or DIY excursions?  A delay in getting an omelet?  Bearable.   The pasta station closed?  Well, OK.  But if I hear that the thermal spa is closed or restricted, and other closures, that all has to be considered.  

So I look forward to full and candid reports, without blasting someone for quibbling and/or being overly critical.  Let's learn what is going on!

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 7:46 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I agree. I think the issue is that Celebrity indicated that certain protocols would be in place for unvaccinated guests and people booked based on that representation, but according to several posts on various threads, this is not being adhered to.  But with that said, as a vaccinated passenger, I have faith that I am protected against serious complications should I be exposed to the virus, which in my opinion is improbable since the small number of unvaccinated guest on my sailing would have had to have tested negative before boarding.  

I'd like to share an excerpt from my day, and why solely relying on vaccinated status may not be the wisest course at this time. Especially  with the Delta variant on the rise.

I work in a hospital pharmacy.  We have a fully vaccinated pharmacist who was supposed to be leaving for a much needed vacation to Iceland today.  3 days ago she received a negative Covid test as part of the protocol for her entry into Iceland.  Yesterday she called out sick and subsequently tested positive for Covid.  Today she ended up in the ER and needed treatment with Regeneron and other medication.  

Moral of the story..  vaccines aren't 100%.  

Edited by iamaqt2
  • Thanks 1