Iona Dress Code

ScratchTheRat

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I think you'll find the same discussions on many other boards, including Cunard, Saga and Princess.  

I think maybe you've hit the nail in the head, "Cunard, Saga & Princess"... 😂

2 minutes ago, sammyh25 said:

We have never sailed with P&O before, mostly Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, so quite unfamiliar with the P&O goings on and I find the whole taking umbrage/outrage about what people wear amusing....

We've sailed from the UK a few times but never really came across such views before. Is it a general P&O clientele mindset, or is it the P&O old Guard resisting progress? 😉

IMO a bit of both. The fact remains that the P&O ships are large enough to satisfy those who prefer the different dress codes but I find some things irritating. First P&O state on their web site that formal dress will apply in the majority of venues on the ship. Check out the venues mentioned and this is not true although I do get the impression that the 'best bits' are the ones which are formal. In some cases venues are listed as formal and when you get on board they are not!. I am not sure why P&O do this, perhaps to not scare away potential customers so they scare away other potential customers instead.

I was put off P&O for several years because of the formality issue but now find it is OK especially with just one evening a week. I don't bother any more, after all I am not trying to impress anyone. If I do take part I will wear a navy blue suit which is much more practical than a dinner jacket etc as you can use it for other occasions.

• Like 2

I always wear trousers in the restaurant for our evening meal but after go back and slip into jeans ( they have more give !! ) for the rest of the evening. Once on a formal night I took my bow tie off before going for a after dinner drink on Azura and the waitress for table service declined to serve me because I was missing my tie - I said yes fair enough but she had a sudden change of mind and went to ask the head waiter if it was ok for us to stay and we were allowed too. I really dont mind formal dress and following the rules but I expect I would not wear jeans to dinner although my jeans are expensive brand ones. Personal choice I know but to me just does not feel right.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sammyh25 said:

We have never sailed with P&O before, mostly Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, so quite unfamiliar with the P&O goings on and I find the whole taking umbrage/outrage about what people wear amusing....

We've sailed from the UK a few times but never really came across such views before. Is it a general P&O clientele mindset, or is it the P&O old Guard resisting progress? 😉

You will find this debate as been going on for years on here, some but not all the cruisers on here would like it stopped because there board of it, but in our view if they fall in line with other cruise lines and no formal nights what would make P&O different 

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

You will find this debate as been going on for years on here, some but not all the cruisers on here would like it stopped because there board of it, but in our view if they fall in line with other cruise lines and no formal nights what would make P&O different 

I'm fine with a formal night, it's the having a dress code for NON formal nights that I have a problem with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sammyh25 said:

It’s not my mindset. I really don’t care what people wear. I put up with the formal nights but it wouldn’t bother me in the least if they did away with them! 

• Like 3

I think maybe you've hit the nail in the head, "Cunard, Saga & Princess"... 😂

Certainly not Princess who have a very poor dress code and you will find that Cunard is more formal than P&O.

It is a general mindset of clientele enjoyed by all ages on P&O to wear dinner suits or suits and ties on formal nights on P&O and not the "old guard" resisting progress especially as wearing denim jeans for a meal in a restaurant IMO is not progress and I am certainly not old now or when I started cruising when I was very happy and enjoyed wearing a dinner suit. 

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It is a general mindset of clientele enjoyed by all ages on P&O to wear dinner suits or suits and ties on formal nights on P&O and not the "old guard" resisting progress especially as wearing denim jeans for a meal in a restaurant IMO is not progress and I am certainly not old now or when I started cruising when I was very happy and enjoyed wearing a dinner suit. 

Times are changing. When the rich business folks do live events like Apple launches etc, they no longer wear suits. They were jeans and smart t-shirts. 

Now this? This is perfect for dinner 🙂Tim Cook says Apple wants to use AR to make conversations better - The Verge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Times are changing. When the rich business folks do live events like Apple launches etc, they no longer wear suits. They were jeans and smart t-shirts. 

Now this? This is perfect for dinner 🙂Tim Cook says Apple wants to use AR to make conversations better - The Verge

Sorry but it is all down to personal taste and manners I would never dress like that for a meal in a restaurant on any cruise line or restaurant on land. 

Just now, majortom10 said:

Sorry but it is all down to personal taste and manners I would never dress like that for a meal in a restaurant on any cruise line or restaurant on land. 

and that's fine 🙂 I think that's the point you've missed. I am all for you dressing however you want. You wanna be smart in a suit and tie? You go for it! I'm sure you look great!

But if I wear jeans because I feel they fit better and are more my style, I'd appreciate the same treatment and not to feel like I'm a second class citizen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

They are trying to be relevant to the target buyers nothing to do with dress code

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect that if you check out quite a number of the top/trendy restaurants there would be lots of Jeans' wearers.

True but P&O are based on the dress code take that away and what would you be left with

6 hours ago, sammyh25 said:

I too think it is a bit of both. I would probably be considered "P&O Old Guard", having been cruising with them for 24 years - although not sure about "old", being a mere 60 😀. I can only speak for myself and will try to explain where I am coming from and hope that you will all take it at face value. 

When I started cruising, every night was dressy, even the casual nights. This is one of the reasons I fell in love with cruising. To me, seeing a ship full of folks dressed up creates an ambience that I really enjoy. Consequently, for me, the on-board atmosphere is now diminished in some way when jeans, polo shirts, sweaters etc become a normal sight. This is even more apparent for me when I am dressed up in Black Tie and others (as they have every right) choose to wear jeans and sweater.

I want to add here that I know this is my 'problem', not theirs. I don't judge people by what they wear and as I have already said, I totally respect that they are complying with the dress code. It doesn't however stop me feeling wistful for the 'old days' of cruising. I am not resisting "progress" or as I would prefer to say, change 😀) but don't feel I wish to wholeheartedly embrace it.

I choose to only cruise on Aurora and Arcadia as the atmosphere on board those ships is much closer to the traditional style of cruise I prefer.

I have accepted that P&O are 'sailing a different course' to me now and that my days as a P&O cruiser are limited.

I hope I have been able to explain my own feelings about this very contentious issue and that people will be able to accept my particular stance on this.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

True but P&O are based on the dress code take that away and what would you be left with

The pace of change has upped a gear with Iona and Arvia. I would be surprised if they still have Formal/Gala/Celebration nights in three years time. They may have a "Dress to Impress" night a la Marella Cruises - but that in itself is likely to gradually end the tradition of Black Tie.

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The pace of change has upped a gear with Iona and Arvia. I would be surprised if they still have Formal/Gala/Celebration nights in three years time. They may have a "Dress to Impress" night a la Marella Cruises - but that in itself is likely to gradually end the tradition of Black Tie.

I love an elegant/gala night (believe it or not) so it would be a shame to see them disappear. I just feel the rest of the week could be a bit more casual. I do like to dress up but it does mean packing a suit and shoes and all that stuff that I dont really wanna be bringing!

• Like 1

It’s possible, even on P&O, to bypass the formal nights completely which is what we’ve done more than once on shorter cruises. We don’t eat in the MDR every night as we enjoy the informality of the buffet now and then, so we will happily visit the buffet on a formal night. We’re not bar people either so don’t mind giving the ‘formal’ bars a miss. And the theatre is open to anyone who doesn’t wish to dress up on formal nights so again I’m happy. We always change to ‘evening’ clothes but I prefer smart casual. Being on the generous side, I know that I look better (trimmer and younger) in trousers and smart tops than I would in some of the dresses that I’ve seen some women of my age and older stuff themselves into. It might be ‘formal’ and please the purists, but that doesn’t mean that it’s always a good look! 

• Like 1

My two happorth is that on non formal nights,  you can wear whatever you like,  although personally I'm not a lover of football shirts or hoodies.

On formal nights, the MDR should have a strict dress code  - dress shirt, tie and jacket for the men. Everywhere else in the ship should be non formal. 

So those who like to dress up (me!) can do so, and those who don't will still have free run of the ship. But make it clear in the brochure or whatever,  that formal wear is obligatory in the MDR for that night. Then there can be no arguments.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bazrat said:

They are trying to be relevant to the target buyers nothing to do with dress code

You took the words out of my mouth.He didn't wear Primark jeans and Lidl trainers at the Whitehouse dinners he attended.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

My two happorth is that on non formal nights,  you can wear whatever you like,  although personally I'm not a lover of football shirts or hoodies.

On formal nights, the MDR should have a strict dress code  - dress shirt, tie and jacket for the men. Everywhere else in the ship should be non formal. 

So those who like to dress up (me!) can do so, and those who don't will still have free run of the ship. But make it clear in the brochure or whatever,  that formal wear is obligatory in the MDR for that night. Then there can be no arguments.  

I actually agree with this completely. 

I have never understood the way some people equate cost with propriety. Jeans are jeans, whether they have come from Primark or Dior. Just because a pair are expensive that still doesn't make them formal wear. But I am afraid I side with Britboys. There is a kind of magical atmosphere on a ship where everyone is in evening dress, which is totally lost when you have to sit next to someone in the theatre who is in shorts and vest. I appreciate things change and on the big ships this is inevitable, which is why I see my days with P&O as numbered.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But the dress code allows Jean's on non formal nights, however lots of traditionalists still complain.

It’s in the name non formal nights wear what you feel comfortable in but at least meet the minimum standards for that venue, as for traditionalist’s complaining they do on everything from cost to standards 

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

Actually I have done a marella cruise not really comparing like with like

17 hours ago, Ardennais said:

It’s not my mindset. I really don’t care what people wear. I put up with the formal nights but it wouldn’t bother me in the least if they did away with them! 

I'm not too bothered about dress code. What bothers me is that some bloke thinks everybody should be subjected to his half falling down shorts and his vest that display his hairy armpits. I have been a wearer of Levi jeans since the 1960's and still am. But not to dinner on formal night. On NCL and Celebrity we still don't dress as slobs, but some do and that offends me ,

• Like 6