Having a problem finding a handicapped van service from one of the parking garages to the Port of Miami

kadysgma

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has faced this problem, can someone help me out? I'm driving down from IL for a cruise in September and I am having trouble finding a way to get my mobility scooter to the terminal for the Carnival Horizon. If you've had this problem, can you help me out with what solution you got? I'm going crazy trying to find help. Thanks so much for your help.

kadysgma1@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Probably, but sometimes it's worth the convenience of parking across the street.  EM

And it is safer for your car.  Off site parking in Miami has a deservedly bad reputation.  Park at the port!

• Like 1

Parking at POM is covered, convenient and secure -and costs $22/day.  The distance from the garage to check in is usually about 50-100 yards.  Those with handicapped placards and tags still need to pay for parking ... unless:  "In accordance with Florida Statute 316.1964, ONLY vehicles with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by a person who has a disability, or any vehicle displaying a State of Florida license plate for disabled veterans  issued under s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, or s. 320.0845 or displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from parking charges."

I would park at the port and make it easy on yourself.  If you are having issues finding someone to transport your scooter to the port, you will have even more issues finding transport from the port to your car post cruise.  Have a great cruise! 😎

• Like 1

22 hours ago, capriccio said:

And it is safer for your car.  Off site parking in Miami has a deservedly bad reputation.  Park at the port!

Park at the port, you and your car are much safer.

• Like 1

You REALLY want to park at the port. Parking elsewhere and then relying on someone to meet you on time, and paying them for services, is an unnecessary risk. Anything you’d save in parking would likely be consumed by transportation costs.

I’d drop my bags off at the curb with the cruise line (they’ll take the bags straight from your vehicle, please tip) and then go and park in the garage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, kadysgma said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has faced this problem, can someone help me out? I'm driving down from IL for a cruise in September and I am having trouble finding a way to get my mobility scooter to the terminal for the Carnival Horizon. If you've had this problem, can you help me out with what solution you got? I'm going crazy trying to find help. Thanks so much for your help.

kadysgma1@yahoo.com

In accordance with Florida Statute 316.1964, ONLY vehicles with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by a person who has a disability, or any vehicle displaying a State of Florida license plate for disabled veterans Adobe PDF issued under s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, or s. 320.0845 or displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from parking charges.

so if you are hauling your scooter on a lift or if you have ramps to take your scooter in or out and have   handicapp parking permit you wouldnt have to pay for parking.

Great advice from all the above but the OP will have IL plates (placard) on their car so they wouldn't be able to use handicapped parking. Perhaps the OP and their scooter could be dropped off at curb and their travel companion could then park car....Just a thought.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Great advice from all the above but the OP will have IL plates (placard) on their car so they wouldn't be able to use handicapped parking. Perhaps the OP and their scooter could be dropped off at curb and their travel companion could then park car....Just a thought.

They can use the handicap parking but will have to pay for it.

Only vehicles with Florida plates that meet the requirements listed by kokoko and JohninDC are entitled to FREE handicapped parking.  Anyone with a handicap placard/plate from Florida or any other state not meeting the requirements can pay for the parking.

9 hours ago, capriccio said:

They can use the handicap parking but will have to pay for it.

Only vehicles with Florida plates that meet the requirements listed by kokoko and JohninDC are entitled to FREE handicapped parking.  Anyone with a handicap placard/plate from Florida or any other state not meeting the requirements can pay for the parking.

My bad...I left out the word "free"..thanks for catching that important detail.