Live on Queen of the Mississippi

I was thinking this may be another example of how modern technology just raises our stress level.  Regardless of what the ship is doing right now, if it shows up in Pittsburgh on Sep. 9 all this tsuris will have been for naught.

• Like 1

Let’s hope that marinetraffic is not accurate because it still has the vessel operating 2 days ahead of schedule (heading towards Henderson, KY). Tsuris is definitely the right word for it.  OK, will not report on its meshuganah itinerations and deviations anymore until it returns to Pittsburgh (or wherever).

Edited by Globalfish

On 8/21/2021 at 6:22 AM, shipgeeks said:

Thank you, Globalfish.  We've been wondering where she was.  

I hope your September 9 trip goes as planned, too!  Please keep us informed, if you get any updates.

Note to shipgeeks:  ACL’s Ohio River Planned Cruise Itinerary dated today (2 Sept) says Queen of the Mississippi is scheduled to depart North Shore Riverfront Park, Pittsburgh, at 1:30 PM Thursday, 9 Sept.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed that it is able to stick with that.

Edited by Globalfish
  • Like 1

I am currently on the Queen of the Mississippi. Marine traffic is incorrect. The only change to our itinerary was that we left from Alton instead of St Louis. It put us a little behind schedule so we were a bit late arriving in Paducah. They still had the tours just shuffled around a bit. Everything is running smoothly including in the dining room where the service has been good. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GSSDB said:

I am currently on the Queen of the Mississippi. Marine traffic is incorrect. The only change to our itinerary was that we left from Alton instead of St Louis. It put us a little behind schedule so we were a bit late arriving in Paducah. They still had the tours just shuffled around a bit. Everything is running smoothly including in the dining room where the service has been good. 

Great to know!  In a previous response to Host Jazzbeau I wrote that I will not report about the  comings and goings of Queen of the Mississippi anymore as listed in marinetraffic until it returns to Pittsburgh.  Heck, now I won't even look at that site anymore!  It's BS!  Thanks for confirming it.

Glad that the dining room service has improved markedly since earlier this summer.  If the dining room staff is all college students, now let's hope that they don't all quit next week to go back to school.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1

G and G,  Thank you, both, for the updates.  I hope the week ahead goes well and stress-free for both of you.

It is very helpful to know that she will be docked at North Shore.  We should be able to see her while we are on our way to an appointment mid-day.  And especially helpful to know that a 1:30 sailing is planned, rather than the dinnertime departure we are used to in the past.  We would have missed it entirely.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Globalfish said:

Great to know!  In a previous response to Host Jazzbeau I wrote that I will not report about the  comings and goings of Queen of the Mississippi anymore as listed in marinetraffic until it returns to Pittsburgh.  Heck, now I won't even look at that site anymore!  It's BS!  Thanks for confirming it.

Don't completely regard Marinetraffic as BS. I've used it since 2010 when my son was sailing commercially. (He's in the Navy now, and the Gray Funnel Line doesn't show on Martinetraffic.) I've found it very useful as long as you're not looking for minute-by-minute movements. I found in the last few days with Ida in the Northeast that lots of ships just say "ship detected by satellite."

On 9/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, Globalfish said:

Glad that the dining room service has improved markedly since earlier this summer.  If the dining room staff is all college students, now let's hope that they don't all quit next week to go back to school.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

I saw the QoM was in Marietta today. If you are stopping there on the September 9 sailing it could be a little busy as they are having a sternwheeler festival from the 10 th to the 12th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stowite said:

I saw the QoM was in Marietta today. If you are stopping there on the September 9 sailing it could be a little busy as they are having a sternwheeler festival from the 10 th to the 12th.

Thanks for the heads-up.  We’re due there on the 10th.  Sternwheeler festival sounds like fun in spite of crowds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh no!  Latest version of Ohio River Planned Itinerary dated today has Queen of the Mississippi still leaving Pittsburgh at 1:30 PM on Sept. 9, but skipping Marietta, OH altogether.  We arrive in Maysville, KY on Sept. 11 at 8:30 AM.  That means that Sept. 10 is a wasted day not spent in any port.  Goes to show that no cruise itinerary is final until it actually happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Globalfish said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  We’re due there on the 10th.  Sternwheeler festival sounds like fun in spite of crowds.

It is fun although I wonder where they will have you dock as most of the levee will have sternwheelers docked there. The festival starts at 6 PM on Friday.  You may get a greeting from the other boats as you are coming and going. The captains love to blow their horns for any reason. LOL. Have a wonderful trip. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Globalfish said:

Oh no!  Latest version of Ohio River Planned Itinerary dated today has Queen of the Mississippi still leaving Pittsburgh at 1:30 PM on Sept. 9, but skipping Marietta, OH altogether.  We arrive in Maysville, KY on Sept. 11 at 8:30 AM.  That means that Sept. 10 is a wasted day not spent in any port.  Goes to show that no cruise itinerary is final until it actually happens.

Ugh. You posted while I was replying. Sorry you will miss my historic hometown. You should plan to be outside as you pass Marietta as the sight of the boats will still be cool to see and you should still be greeted by the boats in for the festival   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stowite said:

Ugh. You posted while I was replying. Sorry you will miss my historic hometown. You should plan to be outside as you pass Marietta as the sight of the boats will still be cool to see and you should still be greeted by the boats in for the festival   

Will definitely look for the boats on Friday.  Hopefully I’ll be able to see them from my private balcony, but if Marietta is on the opposite side, will look for them from the deck.

Thanks for the wishes for a good trip.  Hope there are no other changes.

Edited by Globalfish
  • Like 1

We did, but only from a distance.  We had a doctor appointment to go to, which fortunately, took us within sight of the boat moored at the North Shore.  When we left the doctor, a very heavy rain storm hit; I was wondering if it got you.  By the time our van was within sight again (1:25), you were still at the dock under mostly sunny skies.  When we got home, a neighbor on Neville Island (opposite side of the river) posted on Nextdoor that you were in the Emsworth Locks.  I'm sorry we didn't get to see you close up.  Perhaps a few neighbors were there to see you.

Enjoy all the days ahead!  And thank you for posting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

When we got home, a neighbor on Neville Island (opposite side of the river) posted on Nextdoor that you were in the Emsworth Locks. 

Ship geeks, your post reminded me of of one of my favorite Pete Seeger songs, Monongahela Sal, which includes the following verse:

"He swore that he always would love her
As they locked through the old Emsworth dam.
But that night, overboard he did shove her
And then Moat Stanley took it on the lam."

There are lots of versions of this available online, including Seeger's:  https://www.shazam.com/track/60428288/monongahela-sal

Global Fish, have a great cruise.  You might even find it fun to ask one of the entertainers to play this song, if she or he knows it.   There are many other great river songs.  Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 11:39 AM, Globalfish said:

Will definitely look for the boats on Friday.  Hopefully I’ll be able to see them from my private balcony, but if Marietta is on the opposite side, will look for them from the deck.

We did indeed pass Marietta today and the captain went by slowly so that we could all see it and get some good pictures.  We were all eating our hearts out that we couldn’t stop there as originally planned.

9433EDB0-667B-441B-9E43-FBC9193027B2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joanandjoe,  I do remember singing that song, but I never noticed the reference to the Emsworth Locks.  Interesting!

One of the things we used to enjoy, which doesn't seem to happen any more, was the playing of the calliope when the boat entered the lock.  That was how we learned that passenger riverboats came to Pittsburgh.  We'd hear some music, wonder which neighbor was playing something, realize we should investigate, and run down to the lock.  It always felt like a scene from "Showboat".  Then someone complained about noise, and that was it.  I wonder if they ever played that song?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 6:38 AM, shipgeeks said:

According to my brochure, Queen of Mississippi is due in Pittsburgh tomorrow or Wednesday (September 28/29).  Can anyone confirm if that is still the case?  

We departed the ship on 29 September, in Pittsburgh, after an enjoyable cruise.

NRayH

• Thanks 1