Impossible to Obtain Full Cash Refund on RCI Cruise

Cruise is in 2022. Booked last part of 2019 or very early 2021, forget.

I was told that at the time of booking I selected a "no deposit refund" option. I am guessing I was given a discount or some good incentive to do that.

I paid in full.

Just now finished on the phone.

I was informed that because of the booking option I selected a full cash refund would not be possible. Only a future credit. Future credit doesn't work for me due to at work holiday limitations and the fact I am no longer with my partner with whom I was to sail.

I was informed that if RCI themselves cancel the cruise then a full cash refund will indeed become an option. So I must hope and pray for a cancellation.

Has anyone else had a full cash refund request declined? Also, I am not even sure if I should bother contacting Fair Trading in my state. Waste of time?

Any assistance appreciated.

I just had a thought. At all times I discussed over the phone "full cash refund".

If indeed I accepted a promotional fare with a non-refundable DEPOSIT then...

I'd at least be entitled to a full cash refund of the difference between the deposit and the full amount?

I never actually made that distinction over the phone. Just thought of it now.

Edited by ChrisOz

You should have received an email after you booked that would have stated the terms you booked under, including cancellation penalty dates. However you should also check the RCI website as some cruise lines have modified their cancellation policies to offer a Future Cruise Credit for what would have been cancellation fees. I'm not sure if RCI do this though.

If you did book under a non-refundable deposit deal then you will lose your deposit if you cancel but should get any other payments back.

If your cruise is an Australian one you would be best wait until RCI cancel, which they will probably do in another 2-3 months unless a miracle occurs and the government allows a cruising restart. 

If it's an overseas cruise you have a problem as borders are closed and you will have no choice but to cancel.

39 minutes ago, ChrisOz said:

I just had a thought. At all times I discussed over the phone "full cash refund".

If indeed I accepted a promotional fare with a non-refundable DEPOSIT then...

I'd at least be entitled to a full cash refund of the difference between the deposit and the full amount?

I never actually made that distinction over the phone. Just thought of it now.

Don’t panic.

The cancelation of cruises are in the pipeline.We get a bit ahead of ourselves here with research.

If Royal cancels you are entitled to a refund.

But just wait,who ever you talked to is just going on the current guidelines.

A bit information would help.

Agent or directly with Royal.

25 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Don’t panic.

The cancelation of cruises are in the pipeline.We get a bit ahead of ourselves here with research.

If Royal cancels you are entitled to a refund.

But just wait,who ever you talked to is just going on the current guidelines.

A bit information would help.

Agent or directly with Royal.

It was direct. So long ago. New computer, changed email etc so original paperwork long disappeared. Hoping to not have done my money. $10,000 plus paid in one whack for the Ovation NZ cruise I was very much looking forward to.

I do now understand the rumours are that the Ovation won't be bothered making the trip over to Australia / NZ anyway. RCI need to plan well ahead. The Aus/state governments are struggling just with events of this month alone lol.

Yes, it's unlikely that Ovation cruise will go ahead. From what I've read NZ is being even more stubborn about a resumption of cruising than Australia. Hang tight, the cruise will be cancelled in due course and you'll get your full refund, although it might take a little while.

If you ever decide to book another cruise don't pay it all upfront. Just pay the deposit and wait until just before the final payment date to pay the rest. Sometimes it's worth taking a non-refundable deposit deal if it's going to save you heaps overall but you need to be prepared to wear the loss if you have to cancel. Also get into the habit of saving travel booking email details somewhere, preferably in some sort of cloud-based storage so you can access it from other devices.

It's a real shame you won't get to do your NZ cruise, they are usually lovely. Hopefully you'll be able to book one in the future when the world settles down.

18 minutes ago, ChrisOz said:

It was direct. So long ago. New computer, changed email etc so original paperwork long disappeared. Hoping to not have done my money. $10,000 plus paid in one whack for the Ovation NZ cruise I was very much looking forward to.

I do now understand the rumours are that the Ovation won't be bothered making the trip over to Australia / NZ anyway. RCI need to plan well ahead. The Aus/state governments are struggling just with events of this month alone lol.

Take a deep breath ,They are a reputable company.
Some of these representatives on the phone don’t know if they are Arthur or Martha.

You will get a refund as long as they cancel the cruise but things are evolving.

Worst case you will get a cruise credit but see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

I feel bad for everyone, passengers, crew and all cruise companies. These are extreme and challenging times.

But from my own selfish outlook... banking on the cruise being cancelled sorry to say.

Having ever been to the NZ south island before I thoroughly recommend a trip - so many camera opportunities! It won't be Alaska or the fjords of Bergen and up the coast of Norway. But gorgeous nevertheless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Challenging times indeed. Some of us here have already had several cruises cancelled so don't be too worried.The next wave of cancellations will probabky happen in September or October.

With a cruise that goes to Fiordland you not only get to see Milford Sound which is spectacular, but also to transit though some of the most pristine waterways of NZ. It's very special.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Challenging times indeed. Some of us here have already had several cruises cancelled so don't be too worried.The next wave of cancellations will probabky happen in September or October.

With a cruise that goes to Fiordland you not only get to see Milford Sound which is spectacular, but also to transit though some of the most pristine waterways of NZ. It's very special.

I wonder when Princess will issue the cancellation order on the May 2022, Worldie - Coral Princess? 

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

September, or more likely December, is my 2 way bet. ✓ flipping finger free vector eps, cdr, ai, svg vector illustration graphic  art

I think possibly not until early next year although that could depend on what new variants of Covid pop up before then.

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I wonder when Princess will issue the cancellation order on the May 2022, Worldie - Coral Princess? 

Uncle Les, more important things to talk about.

Liquor land has KB cans on sale!

image.jpeg.d9457eeeaa588143c55a805f3f60d274.jpeg

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think possibly not until early next year although that could depend on what new variants of Covid pop up before then.

My thinking is, if Coral is not here to start its season in December, it will be sent somewhere else, where it can earn some income for Princess. 🤑

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

My thinking is, if Coral is not here to start its season in December, it will be sent somewhere else, where it can earn some income for Princess. 🤑

Possibly, although she was scheduled become our replacement for Sea Princess, doing the five big runs - Round Australia, Hawaii/Tahiti, World Cruise, the second Hawaii/Tahiti, and the second Round Australia. Most of those overlap as they are offered from either Sydbey, Brisbane and Auckland, plus sectors in the case of the Round Australia and World cruises. Not easy to untangle.

Plus Coral is now one of the smaller ships in the Princess fleet and I imagine Princess would prefer to use bigger ships elsewhere especially if they are limited to a percentage of the usual passenger numbers. 

But they may keep her in the US for longer doing Panama Canal partial transits as she can fit into the old locks. They could do that with very few port stops, if any.

50 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Uncle Les, more important things to talk about.

Liquor land has KB cans on sale!

image.jpeg.d9457eeeaa588143c55a805f3f60d274.jpeg

Whatever happened to Flag Ale? It was once my favourite.

flag ale.jpg

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

This was my favourite when I was living in Newcastle in the early 70's. 😉🥂

BP0473.gif

That was the brown, Tooths Old, Tooheys Old - The Black was my drink. Also known as Hunter Old up Newcastle way. Schooie of Black thanks.

th (2).jpg

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

KB = Kiddies Beer.🙄

I hated the kids beer, too sweet.  I drank Tooheys Flag Ale, Tooheys Pilsener  and Tooheys Draught back then.  Always a Tooheys drinker back then. Crown Lager - Crownies were good too, when you could afford to buy them.

th.jpg.9ae487dd30d9cdd8d10da80783e8f596.jpg

Edited by NSWP

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

You see them pop up every now and then. I didn’t mind Flag ale.

image.jpeg.4105d4cea88717e067ba3415dc4c4947.jpeg

OMG,  D.A. also known as 'Dirty Annie.'   The worst beer in Straya, I feel ill looking at those cans. 

Tooheys Flag Ale, now there was a decent beer, drank heaps of that back then.

I feel like a Tooheys or two !!

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That was the brown, Tooths Old, Tooheys Old - The Black was my drink. Also known as Hunter Old up Newcastle way. Schooie of Black thanks.

th (2).jpg

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Old is my draught beer of choice when having a pub lunch at the Orana, Blacksmiths.

• Like 1