Fred shops

Hello - this may sound like a strange question but does anybody know if the shops on Fred Olsen ships sell the "floating globes"? I know P&O do and would like to buy one but I have far more OBC to spend on my next Fred cruise then I do on my next P&O cruise, so if FO do sell them, I'll wait till my next cruise with them. 🙂

My husband recalls seeing those on Fred, but the shops are normally franchised and they may have different companies on different ships.  Can you tell me which ship you will be on and I will see what info I can get from shop staff on Borealis next week, as well as size/price info?

Barbara

LOL - It's a globe that "sits" on top of a tripod (but doesn't touch it) the globe floats and rotates as if by magic. It's something to do with the magnetic field (I think) but I'm sure someone better than me will be able to explain it in more detail.

MOVA Satellite View with Cloud Cover 4.5 Inch Globe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, berkshireboy said:

Hardings have the franchise on Fred  [According to their website this is still the case].  Last Fred I was on - the Boudicca, had these globes for sale.

Would have been Boudicca we had seen them on more recently.  I do not think the shop stock remained on the ships as it was not owned by Fred of course, but if the same company are still to be franchised on all ships, I should get some details next week of what they are likely to bring on board.  I can see things like that being popular on cruise ships.

The show companies differ within their fleet of course, which is why I thought shops may possibly differ.  Depends on what can be negotiated I assume.

Edited by tring

9 hours ago, Sir Cumference said:

It's a globe that "sits" on top of a tripod (but doesn't touch it) the globe floats and rotates as if by magic. It's something to do with the magnetic field (I think) but I'm sure someone better than me will be able to explain it in more detail.

This is quite unique.  I have never seen anything like that.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, willibach said:

They are on display in the shop on Borealis, spotted them whilst aboard last Friday in Portsmouth. There are 4 or 5 different versions, by size & map colouring.

I had asked for details and made notes, but did not come back to this thread, sorry.  We were very tired after the coach journey back to Liverpool after Borealis was unable to being us back and are away again now, but glad someone has beaten me to it with information and also prompted my memory.  The staff reckoned they would be on sale on Balmoral and I did write prices down.  I have not got my notes with me, but from memory, the larger one was 6" diameter and cost about £320, whilst the small one was possibly about 4" and cost about £190 and a bit  more for certain colours.  If I am quoted Tuesday next week, or soon after, I can double check the prices with my notes.

34 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

Thank you all for your help and information  - I'll start saving up now 🙂

They actually put the prices up during our cruise.  We were told it was a standard price rise, but I am wondering if it may partly be due to no tax advantages on UK cruises.  I have quoted the later, (higher) prices.