How is S.A.L.T.?

M&PGermany

4 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

Are there any cruisers on the Moon reporting live?

What can you tell us about the new S.A.L.T. restaurant?

Check out the "New Moon - Adventures in Greece..." thread.  It was done live during the first two voyages and S.A.L.T. was discussed by multiple passengers.

Great. Lovely atmosphere, fresh and garden-inspired. Fresh herbs on the tables instead of flowers. 

First page of menu is for the port you are in and changes daily. Pic of moussaka and dessert. Rest of the menu is for the region you are sailing in and doesn’t typically change during the cruise.

D69DD897-EC41-4324-9791-931A86574CC1.jpeg

55F7BE03-7447-41A3-852D-91831ABEE9F9.jpeg

C6080D87-4EED-4C04-8F90-BEB4F4DDD3DF.jpeg

653CD461-83F6-4F57-8EE9-55E2A240D76F.jpeg

A391CD30-9A1F-4505-8E76-697A38B414B5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

We enjoyed SALT. DH had the lamb shanks one night and you can see the remains. Nothing but bones.

The bread is baked in small terra cotta pots. There is also a flatbread. That night the butter was sumac flavored. The small pot with the spoon sticking out of it was tzatziki.

The wines reflect the locality as well.

We did eat there a number of evenings and it was consistently good. I do not know the name of the chef, but she is quite talented.

SALT bar is a terrific intimate atmosphere and while we were aboard was usually filled as was permitted by social distancing rules. The bartender is Carlos, making great libations. Shrey is his assistant. Don’t miss the SALT bar.

8CBBF771-EE8D-492A-948F-0B02C657C121.thumb.jpeg.b0967769c6d9fae48c85b0df22cb3900.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FLRI said:

First page of menu is for the port you are in and changes daily.

Rest of the menu is for the region you are sailing in and doesn’t typically change during the cruise.

Glad to hear at least one page changes daily.  With the non-changing portion of the menu, I’ll be interested to see how SS executes Peranakan, Malay, Thai, and Indian on our upcoming voyage.

• Like 3

I LOVE IT TOO😀I had duck and seabass and it was probably one of the best meals I have eaten anywhere (land or sea) in a long, long time. I am going again tomorrow night with the Hotel Director.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

I didn't see any vegetarian or vegan mains on the sample menus posted above   Are there any at this venue?

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know what truly constitutes vegetarian and vegan, but wouldn’t  the main entree, Briam, be considered at least vegetarian, if not vegan?

It would seem any of the vegetarian starters could easily be served as a main too, if you so wanted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know what truly constitutes vegetarian and vegan, but wouldn’t  the main entree, Briam, be considered at least vegetarian, if not vegan?

It would seem any of the vegetarian starters could easily be served as a main too, if you so wanted.

Thanks for pointing out the Briam, which I had overlooked, which is indeed a vegetarian (albeit not vegan since it contains feta cheese) dish.

As to making starters into mains, yes, of course, that can always be done.  However, on a cruise line like Silversea, I would hope that the standard is higher than that, with interesting and well thought out dishes instead of an improvised after-thought.  (Many cruise lines are actively catering and appealing to vegans and vegetarians these days.  Hopefully the day will come when we'll have more than 1 or 2 choices on a menu...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

…on a cruise line like Silversea, I would hope that the standard is higher than that, with interesting and well thought out dishes instead of an improvised after-thought.

You make a very good point.

Although I’m obviously not vegetarian, I sure do appreciate the types of well thought out and executed dishes you describe.  Thanks the reminder!  And, thanks for helping me understand the differences between vegetarian and vegan relative to the Briam.

18 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

You make a very good point.

Although I’m obviously not vegetarian, I sure do appreciate the types of well thought out and executed dishes you describe.  Thanks the reminder!  And, thanks for helping me understand the differences between vegetarian and vegan relative to the Briam.

Exactly, everyone should be treated the same and not made to feel deprived!

Come to think of it, Silversea (and fellow guests) should appreciate us humble vegetarians and vegans.  We don't partake in high-ticket items such as caviar, lobster, foie gras, prime rib, etc. and are therefore high profit margin customers for the cruise lines - tofu is cheap - thereby leaving more of the fancy items for other guests to enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Saw a couple of pics out of S.A.L.T. tonight and I’m hoping Sprins, FLRI, or Lois can help identify the dishes.

1FC1A7B2-6FDF-47D5-BDA1-B0250E225708.jpeg.aa30feca0894c60368840aab6731c8bf.jpeg

Frozen fish fillet and crab cake?

FB1C050A-DF96-4409-9364-D504AFD0B6DD.thumb.jpeg.ab983a13fb076a3641435dcdb5b73856.jpeg

Toast?

Hi😀to be honest I am not sure but I do know they don't serve frozen anything so the first picture is not fishsticks😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Saw a couple of pics out of S.A.L.T. tonight and I’m hoping Sprins, FLRI, or Lois can help identify the dishes.

Frozen fish fillet and crab cake?

Waffles? Etual could maybe identify! lol (That event was so funny!)

• Haha 1

No waffles in SALT.

I didn’t have any of the pictured food.

However the fried food as pictured resembles a croquette which they do serve, but it is called something else. The ingredients varied, one night it was fava beans( I think that was Santorini/Thira). 

The white dots were a garlicky sauce.

The toasted bread looks like a version of bruschetta with the cheese wrapped up in veggies. I did not have that either.

No crab cakes Stumble.

They have an amazing moussaka and the lamb shanks and lamb chops pretty terrific. Also a lobster dish that DH had.

Portions are quite generous, hard to finish, at least for me. Dr Spins had to finish mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1