Seattle-Belttown Area

We are looking at a hotel post cruise, and this area seems to be close to Port and alot of tourist areas. However, when reading reviews online it appears to have a major homeless problem and some problems that come along with that. I was hoping that those of you who are local or have been there before how this area is to stay in. Thanks!!

I live in Belltown and there is not a major homeless problem.   During covid with the businesses closing, temporarily or permanent, the homeless presence definitely increased although in most parts of the city the situation has improved with the biggest concentration of homeless in the Pioneer Square area due to many services provided there.  You will see homeless throughout downtown, including Belltown, but not in great numbers, except Pioneer Square.

You might check Trip Advisor too. This topic has been discussed quite a bit the past 12 months and there are more locals that respond on that site.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle_Washington.html  

it really depends on the hotel.  Honestly the only one I'd be super concerned about is the Courtyard at Pioneer Square but most of the major downtown hotels would be perfectly fine but like anything best to ask on Tripadvisor for some local advice.

Edited by Dan G

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SportsFanatic, it depends on your level of comfort. I  am a petite female in her 30s. I used to live in Philadelphia and have lived in Seattle over the past 4 years and my office is about a 10 minute walk from Pioneer Square. Within downtown there's not any violent areas to avoid, but keep in mind you are in a city.  If you feel comfortable in big cities and walk around during popular day/evening hours, you will be OK. Pioneer Square had a decline during the pandemic, but now that Mariner games, cruises and events are coming back, they're working on improving the area. My friend just stayed at the Courtyard in Pioneer Square and had no issues. 

Edited by psuboater

1 hour ago, SportsFanatic said:

Could you elaborate a little more. Why did you feel safe?  I am very hesitant to go by there030740BA-A88D-4A15-B120-CDDA8490B30A.thumb.jpeg.2e8c81c3101db7f4add56c0520a19f54.jpeg

Good question! I'm someone who grew up in an urban area and currently live in Portland, work downtown. The Pioneer Square area reminds me of the scruffier parts of Portland. There are homeless people camping and wandering, but that doesn't cause me to be alarmed - yet YMMV, I know. I will also say that no one even approached me to panhandle, and that (Irrationally) is something I get irritated by, but logically even being panhandled doesn't equal danger. I've worked in downtown Portland (in an area similar to this) for 30+ years and I've never even witnessed crime other than drugs - I've never been even threatened or seen someone else be. I've come closer to being hit by a falling tree! So I just think that the chance of anything happening is really remote if you are just walking through. Downtown near Pike Place or up the hill (away from the water) looks less scruffy if there's a place in that area that meets your budget. But there will still be homeless wandering. I guess I'm just trying to say that there's little danger from them unless you are a fellow homeless person, trying to be in a drug deal, etc. - that's where those crime statistics factor in.

@SportsFanatic

I see you are from Ohio. If you attend live sporting events in any of our 3 large cities with MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA and other sports teams I suspect you will have encountered panhandlers, drunks, etc. enroute to the games.

I cannot imagine that Seattle is any more dangerous than Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Edited by TMLAalum

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 2:05 PM, TMLAalum said:

@SportsFanatic

I see you are from Ohio. If you attend live sporting events in any of our 3 large cities with MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA and other sports teams I suspect you will have encountered panhandlers, drunks, etc. enroute to the games.

I cannot imagine that Seattle is any more dangerous than Cleveland and Cincinnati.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago.  I think one of the main differences you see based on these comparisons is that in areas like Chicago, Cleveland and Cincinnati, you do not see many homeless on the streets because of the winter weather.  There is a much, much larger homeless population in areas on the west coast overall.  That is not to say the cities are less dangerous - they certainly have their areas I would never visit! - but they generally do not have many homeless in the tourist areas where the nice hotels are.