American Jazz stuck on Sandbar

BaumD

43 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thanks for weighing in. I agree....but was sharing it due to concerns about my upcoming cruise on 7/25. I'm trying to follow any information/updates and hope they get the boat safely off the Sandbar. 

Yes, unfortunately, these kinds of jobs are not really predictable, and they could get it off quickly with water jets, or the suction could defeat them for days, so they really can't say whether a particular cruise will go or not.  As for safely, she is on a sand bottom, so there is almost no chance of damage to the ship, other than perhaps some wrinkling of hull plating, that will most likely be left until the ship's next scheduled drydocking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, unfortunately, these kinds of jobs are not really predictable, and they could get it off quickly with water jets, or the suction could defeat them for days, so they really can't say whether a particular cruise will go or not.  As for safely, she is on a sand bottom, so there is almost no chance of damage to the ship, other than perhaps some wrinkling of hull plating, that will most likely be left until the ship's next scheduled drydocking.

Thanks for the explanation. We were really looking forward to this trip after so many months at home but it's hard to feel excited not knowing if the cruise will happen. C'est sera, sera.....will be my way of thinking.....until I hear something for sure. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm sorry to say, but this sounds like typical US cruise ship crew complaints.  Not sure how the crew are "overworked" when there are no passengers onboard.  The crew have signed a contract, called articles of shipping, with the Captain, for a specified time period.  While they are free to quit at any time, being US crew in a US port, on a US ship, their contract that they signed at the time of employment was very clear as to whether they were due transportation home if they quit.  Typically, either these shipping articles, or the crew's union contract will specify whether or not a ship being aground is cause for the crew to be allowed to leave the ship and get transportation home.  Not sure why the ship not docking in a port for a week is a "hardship", since fresh water and supplies were brought to the ship.  Maybe, because the crew have not been allowed off the ship in a week, which is a "true hardship" for a merchant mariner (which this crew is, per USCG).  As noted in ACL's statement, there are a minimum required manning for the ship, per the USCG, and so therefore some crew may not be able to leave when they feel like it (or if they do, as is their right as US citizens, they can be prosecuted by the USCG for violations of their merchant mariner documents.

Whole lot of whining and moaning here.

I agree as well - think about the 30+ cruise ships that were anchored off of the Berry Islands and Eleuthera for months during Covid (and some may still be there, I haven't heard).  They couldn't leave to return to their own countries due to Covid, nor could the ships come into port.  They truly were in hardship conditions....contracts seem to mean nothing to these young, inexperienced American crews.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure why the ship not docking in a port for a week is a "hardship", since fresh water and supplies were brought to the ship.  Maybe, because the crew have not been allowed off the ship in a week, which is a "true hardship" for a merchant mariner (which this crew is, per USCG). 

I was thinking that they wouldn't survive Sea Year at KP.😀

17 hours ago, Texasramblinreck said:

Let's hope they can get her off the Sandbar safely. Then to figure out what the plan is going forward. With having to get crew back and set up I'm wondering if that can be realistically done before the 7/25 cruise.??

1 hour ago, Texasramblinreck said:

Good to hear! I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for July 25. I hesitated in getting anything ready to go with not knowing if the cruise was a go but may start now. Thanks for the update. 

We sailed on American Cruise Lines a couple of times a few years ago. Unless things have changed, your same crew will do everything…serve you breakfast, clean your room, then serve you lunch, then dinner! In our opinion they are overworked and underpaid. Our room was sufficient, as was the food, but nothing out of the ordinary. We have moved on…

37 minutes ago, Brownie54 said:

We sailed on American Cruise Lines a couple of times a few years ago. Unless things have changed, your same crew will do everything…serve you breakfast, clean your room, then serve you lunch, then dinner! In our opinion they are overworked and underpaid. Our room was sufficient, as was the food, but nothing out of the ordinary. We have moved on…

I believe in the last year or so they changed so that there are now dedicated housekeeping vs dining room staff...basing this on talking with people on board and looking at the actual acl hiring website.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Good to hear! I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for July 25. I hesitated in getting anything ready to go with not knowing if the cruise was a go but may start now. Thanks for the update. 

According to GPS the Jazz was at Clarksville two hours ago.  Should be in Nashville by end of the day.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:11 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

The Jazz is docked in Nashville where it’s supposed to be, ready for your cruise.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise and ACL goes the extra mile to make up for the bad PR of sticking the boat in the mud.  The crew ought to be fresh afresh having two weeks off.

1 hour ago, Texasramblinreck said:

The Jazz is docked in Nashville where it’s supposed to be, ready for your cruise.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise and ACL goes the extra mile to make up for the bad PR of sticking the boat in the mud.  The crew ought to be fresh afresh having two weeks off.

Let's hope so. 

4 hours ago, Joanandjoe said:

Suzy, don't keep us in suspense:  did the Jazz sail as scheduled, or did they cancel the cruise?

We're scheduled for July 25. As far as we know Jazz is sailing so....unless we hear something different....we're flying to Nashville on Friday, July 23. I'll post update as I can.