Does anyone shop while on a cruise?

Craxe77

Hi all, 

Booked on our second cruise and the first to the southern Bahamas next year. I was planning on (secretly) saving a larger amount of spending money so that I could surprise my wife by letting her buy/shop without having to worry about the budget. I am the cruise lover and she is "so-so" about cruising,  so looking to make it even more enjoyable for her as well.

Have any of you readers (Cruise Critics) shopped while cruising and visiting areas like Aruba, the Dominican republic, Curacao, etc.. ? Was curious on the types of things that people shop for while cruising. My first cruise I really wanted a watch that I bought onboard, more as a memento than for needing the watch. Are there those must see items from those areas that we should see while shopping?

52 minutes ago, Craxe77 said:

Have any of you readers (Cruise Critics) shopped while cruising and visiting areas like Aruba, the Dominican republic, Curacao, etc.. ? Was curious on the types of things that people shop for while cruising.

In Curacao, I imagine that you will find a store offering a taste of their famous liqueur.  If you like it, that is an item that I have bought.  In Aruba, there is a Company that makes excellent Aloe products.  Dominican Republic produces good cigars (I am told), but I doubt your wife would be interested in those.  Throughout the Caribbean, Tortuga Rum products are available.  I always return home with a Rum Cake or two.  

I have bought a watch in St. Thomas in 1984 and a cashmere cardigan sweater in 1970 that are in better physical condition than I am.  Used to buy liquor in the Virgin Islands, but the savings are no longer available as compared to buying it here.  Celebrating a special milestone for HAL, I purchased a crystal, numbered goblet that seemed expensive at the time, but has increased in value.  And, I purchased a crystal model of the Amsterdam celebrating HAL's Golden Anniversary World Cruise with the Captain's and the Hotel Manager's signature written on the model in gold ink.  I also am a book store shopper and have found titles that I was seeking that were not available in the United States.  

I don't buy much anymore.  But, sometimes, I will see an item that "catches my eye" for some reason.  I have learned not to buy on impulse, but I have also regretted a decision as to why didn't I buy an item at times.  

Don't overlook the ship's shops.  Sometimes, some very nice items can be found and are reasonably priced.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craxe77 said:

Aruba, the Dominican republic, Curacao,

Just thought of this for Curacao and Aruba:  Being a part of the Netherland Antilles, Dutch products are available and many people like to shop for food items that are made in Holland.  Dutch cheese is a popular item.  I have not bought any, but it must travel well without being refrigerated.  Chocolates and cookies are also items I know people have bought.   

• Like 1

I don't shop a lot on the islands, I find a lot of those tourist trap shops sell the same things over and over again and try to gouge you. I did a cruise to St Thomas, Puerto Rico and when was there, one of the tourist stalls was asking $50 for a wood statue, and down the road I went to a name brand shop and saw an almost duplicate statue for only $25. I usually buy souvenirs only on the ship with the ship's name and company logo.

Oh wait, I did find an antique shop in Alaska at one of the ports our ship stopped at and found some neat Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship items though, which was interesting. Found some menu covers (No menus inside though) for the Alaska Steamship Company from 1941 and some On Board photos from the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth (The original ones, not the ones out now), as these are really old black and white photos.

• Like 2

My husband who at home won’t buy a banana unless it is in the markdown bin becomes a shopping maniac and big spender on vacation.    I usually research the local specialties be it food, beverage, textiles or whatever and we seek those items.   We also collect unique gemstones and crystals. We usually have a great time meeting up with our fellow mineral collectors worldwide.  One special item we have started collecting are high quality cat art since he is a cat person.  

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 2:42 PM, Craxe77 said:

Was curious on the types of things that people shop for while cruising. 

OP, a couple of other items that I just remembered that I have bought are Christmas ornaments that have the "flavor" of the place where I am buying it.  I have found some very nice ones in St. Thomas at small shops or kiosks down some of the alleyways off Main Street.  

Also, CDs of the music of the Caribbean; some of my favorites were recorded by local musicians and purchased from them.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

bought are Christmas ornaments that have the "flavor" of the place where I am buying it.

My parents bought Christmas ornaments.  It was a beautiful way to show off and remember their adventures 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I buy Christmas ornaments from each island if I can find hand made items.  Have also bought inexpensive paintings, mugs etc.   Not a huge shopper, but like to have items that are unique.   Every year when we decorate the tree I love looking at all the ornaments and having good memories.  

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wife will usually buy a Christmas ornament of the ship and some ornaments at the ports. I like to get a poker chip from the ship. Will also buy shot glasses of the ship and ports. And if it is a Caribbean cruise, I will purchase some rums.

• 3 weeks later...

I always buy a souvenir spoon from the ship’s gift shop on board, I’ve gotten a lot from thrift stores too or found some on the islands when lucky enough to find an antique shop at the islands, or spoons given to me by my parents and friends, I have around 260 I think ship spoons in my personal collection now. These are my spoon racks in the photos. Many of the lines for these spoons are for no longer exist and have disappeared from the ship scene.

*Not all the spoons are on racks as the handles are to thick to fit on the racks as you’ll see 

*Lines: Cunard, Canadian Pacific, P&O, Anchor Donaldson, Shaw Savil, NYK, Chandris, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity, Hamburg America Line, Sally Cruises, Townsend Thoreson, Princess, Greek Line, Carnival, Orient Line, Holland America, Sun Cruises, Regency

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by norboy76
Updated information