Earliest "safe" flight departure time for Rome?

mwf7501

Apologies if this info is elsewhere;  for an AZ cruise ending in Rome, does anyone have advice regarding what is the earliest time I could book a departure flight?   The itinerary says "Rome Debark 6:00am".   This is for a cruise in 2022, so I'm assuming by then there will be no Covid issues/testing requirements.   Or is it best to not count on a specific time and just plan on a hotel night?

Thank you.

4 hours ago, mwf7501 said:

Apologies if this info is elsewhere;  for an AZ cruise ending in Rome, does anyone have advice regarding what is the earliest time I could book a departure flight?   The itinerary says "Rome Debark 6:00am".   This is for a cruise in 2022, so I'm assuming by then there will be no Covid issues/testing requirements.   Or is it best to not count on a specific time and just plan on a hotel night?

Thank you.

I wish you well, but cannot agree that there will be no Covid issues/testing requirements given the way this scourge is evolving.

I would definitely book a night either in Civitavecchia or Rome, depending on the time of your flight the next day.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Domestic or international?

do you have any airline status that would get you to a shorter queue?

first class or economy?

It would be international (US) first class.   The latest flights that get us home the same "day" leave FCO around noon.   I was wondering if we could safely make a noon flight with "6:00 am debark" on a Friday morning.

Even pre-Covid, you did not want to get to Fiumicino less than 2 hours before departure, and that's cutting it. The boat may arrive at 6AM, passengers probably won't start getting off earlier than 7:30, and 8AM-9:30AM are even better bets. Then you first find your luggage and go through passport control.  Add a good 90 minutes either by train/shuttle/taxi just to get to the airport, your safest departure time would be early afternoon. You're in Rome! Stay a day or two, and avoid an anxiety induced stroke. That rush after a great vacation is just not worth it. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, mwf7501 said:

It would be international (US) first class.   The latest flights that get us home the same "day" leave FCO around noon.   I was wondering if we could safely make a noon flight with "6:00 am debark" on a Friday morning.

In pre-COVID times, I would not worry about a departure around noon.  We've done it numerous times.  First off the ship (we've never had passport control in Civitavecchia on a cruise, even on a crossing since there were EU ports before), transfer waiting for us, time to FCO generally about an hour (sometimes a bit less).  Check in can be a real zoo (longest was around 90 minutes or so but average probably at least an hour).  You would be waiting either at the gate or the gate assigning area at 10 or shortly thereafter.

But I started with the huge caveat that these are no longer pre-COVID times so now there are lots of unanswered questions.  If the sailing is earlier in 2022, I actually would be wrestling with the same decision, even after having done it a bunch of times.  If I didn't know exactly what the procedures would be, my gut feeing is I would linger on the ship, schedule the transfer for later and stay at a hotel at FCO (the Hilton is actually on the airport property and offers a free shuttle to Rome center) and fly the next day at noon.

• Like 5

Thank you for the advice.   We would extend in Rome, but travel expediencies (ie flights, we'll be on FF tix) may necessitate visiting Rome pre-cruise rather than post-cruise.  And Dog commands:  return soonest.  Two+ weeks really pushes our outer-outer limits.

With regret I acknowledge your covid cautions, even in 2022.   Sounds like too many moving parts with the "600am debark", so we really need to visit Rome post-cruise or plan on a relaxing night at fco, doggonit.

Yeah I agree staying in Rome post cruise would be the safest choice.  we're ending a cruise in Southampton next summer, and I think we'll be staying near LHR one night, just to err on the side of caution

• Like 2

We have ended 3 cruises in Civitavecchia and for 2 of those we encountered a public transportation strike.  Although the limo and car services were still operating the thousand of Italians who would normally take a train or bus to work had to use their cars. Fortunately we were staying in Rome post cruise, but it took almost 4 hours to get from the port to central Rome.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback.   Not what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed to hear.  So "600 am debark" does not mean strolling off at 630 with a mimosa, and it doesn't matter anyway if you're strolling off into a public transportation strike, a possibility I had not even contemplated.

Mark

In case you haven’t flown out of  FCO, it can be a slow process. I don’t know if it has been improved since I last flew out after a cruise, but you have to move to a second terminal, going through similar long checkpoints (traveling business class helps a little, but not that much). Since our first experience, we have always overnighted near the airport. A much more relaxing way to end a trip. Cheers and have a great trip.

47 minutes ago, CYNSport said:

In case you haven’t flown out of  FCO, it can be a slow process. I don’t know if it has been improved since I last flew out after a cruise, but you have to move to a second terminal, going through similar long checkpoints (traveling business class helps a little, but not that much). Since our first experience, we have always overnighted near the airport. A much more relaxing way to end a trip. Cheers and have a great trip.

As far as FCO is concerned, it seems either I am disorganized or it is. I always plan to provide lots of spare time as the experience, for us, is always an adventure.

I would add that for those hoping to process a VAT refund, the procedure can be time consuming.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 10:05 PM, mwf7501 said:

Thank you.

Even if everything returns to pre-covid conditions, I would not book an international flight before noon. Since it is clear you do not want to stay overnight, try to book a flight which leaves Rome in the late afternoon. You can relax at the first class lounge while waiting for your flight if you have enough time. 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

We now know to put all electronics in a clear plastic bag when going through security.  Even with that, we still wait for people to find all their electronics and place them in a bag.  Not my favorite airport.  

It’s only toiletries etc - liquids under 100ml each - that have to go in a bag in the tray.

Electronics may have to come out of the carryon and into a tray, it depends on the airport most require it some do not (and get cross if you hold things up by trying to get things out!). I doubt there’s a clear bag big enough for all my electronics when I’m on business trips!

My advice never assume what’s needed out of your carryon, read the signs as you approach the area and follow them

PS Our nearest airport now does not need liquids out at fast track, they have new latest technology scanners which certainly seem the way forward. 

• Like 3

On our recent domestic flights in Australia we were told to leave everything (that used to be scanned separately) in the carry on bags.

Haven't had an international flight for nearly two years, so can't comment on that.