Rio de Janeiro after a Cruise

Heartfelttraveler

I can highly recommend a personal guide who will take care of everything for you, we have used him twice in Rio and he really was excellent. You can find all his details in the Rio section of TripAdvisor under Gus the Guide 

However his e mail is    gusguide@hotmail.com

If you have a read at this review of one of our trips there it will give you a idea of what he can provide,  the trip below was like you after we flew there from Buenos Aires 

http://happytravellingwithdavie.blogspot.com/2020/10/rio-de-janeiro-carnival-city.html

16 minutes ago, DavietheScot said:

I can highly recommend a personal guide who will take care of everything for you, we have used him twice in Rio and he really was excellent. You can find all his details in the Rio section of TripAdvisor under Gus the Guide 

If you have a read at this review of one of our trips there it will give you a idea of what he can provide,  the trip below was like you after we flew there from Buenos Aires 

http://happytravellingwithdavie.blogspot.com/2020/10/rio-de-janeiro-carnival-city.html

I was just going to also recommend Gus. Cannot say enough great things about him. We had him for 2 days in  Rio. He is wonderful. We have heard from him during the pandrmic. Things are really rough there.

Miriam 

11 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

I was just going to also recommend Gus. Cannot say enough great things about him. We had him for 2 days in  Rio. He is wonderful. We have heard from him during the pandrmic. Things are really rough there.

Miriam 

Yes Miriam they have been and like you I have been in contact with him during this horrible time, thankfully last time we spoke a month or so back he was seeing some more positive news and outlook for himself.  

But as we both agree if anyone is visiting Rio in the coming years he really is a brilliant guide and ensures you have a wonderful trip. 

• Thanks 1

We spent time in Rio before our Antarctic cruise.  Rio's exquisite natural setting makes it one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  Made all the arrangements ourselves.  We flew into Rio & then flew Emirates down to Buenos Aires.

We stayed at the Hilton on Copacabana Beach--room with a beach view, helpful staff, plentiful breakfast, great location with restaurants nearby.  We had three fabulous days with Rafa Lopes Torres--the best guide in Rio!  He picked up & dropped us off at the airport.  There are many 'don't miss' things to do in Rio but our time in the Marapendi Wetlands with Rafa was amazing!   

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303506-d301412-r745711135-Hilton_Rio_De_Janeiro_Copacabana-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303506-d1807084-r746574868-Rafael_Torres_Lopes_Tour_Guide-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

On 7/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, vakamalua said:

We spent time in Rio before our Antarctic cruise.  Rio's exquisite natural setting makes it one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  Made all the arrangements ourselves.  We flew into Rio & then flew Emirates down to Buenos Aires.

We stayed at the Hilton on Copacabana Beach--room with a beach view, helpful staff, plentiful breakfast, great location with restaurants nearby.  We had three fabulous days with Rafa Lopes Torres--the best guide in Rio!  He picked up & dropped us off at the airport.  There are many 'don't miss' things to do in Rio but our time in the Marapendi Wetlands with Rafa was amazing!   

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303506-d301412-r745711135-Hilton_Rio_De_Janeiro_Copacabana-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303506-d1807084-r746574868-Rafael_Torres_Lopes_Tour_Guide-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

We considered the Hilton.  We finally settled on the Fairmont Copacabana at the other end of the beach right between Ipanema and Copacabana beaches.

We decided to book our airfare from Buenos Aires to Rio and our hotels on our own.  I am contacting both your suggestions (Gus and Rafael) about arranging transportation and 2 1/2 days of touring.

Thanks for the great information.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, DavietheScot said:

Did Gus act as just the driver, or did he actually accompany you on the tours?

On 7/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, Mrs f. said:

Miriam 

And the same questions for you - Did Gus act as just the driver, or did he actually accompany you on the tours?

25 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Did Gus act as just the driver, or did he actually accompany you on the tours?

Yes he went with us, and ensured we were safe plus gave great personal commentary on what you were seeing and experiencing he also got us priority tickets at Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer. 

On top of all that he was also able to secure us bookings at a Samba Show and then a fantastic Brazilian restaurant right on Copacabana Beach. He is a one stop shop for Rio and really will go the extra mile to ensure you have a wonderful visit. Can't recommend him enough.  

23 hours ago, DavietheScot said:

Yes he went with us, and ensured we were safe plus gave great personal commentary on what you were seeing and experiencing he also got us priority tickets at Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer. 

On top of all that he was also able to secure us bookings at a Samba Show and then a fantastic Brazilian restaurant right on Copacabana Beach. He is a one stop shop for Rio and really will go the extra mile to ensure you have a wonderful visit. Can't recommend him enough.  

I got pricing from Gus.  The only drawback is that he has a sedan and we are four adults.  One of us would have to sit in the middle of the back seat.

16 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I got pricing from Gus.  The only drawback is that he has a sedan and we are four adults.  One of us would have to sit in the middle of the back seat.

First time we used him there were 6 of us I would ask him if he could hire a larger vehicle for the time he did that for us but therecis a extra cost. 

19 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

He must have downsized. We were 4 adults .....one rather large, and I don't remember anyone in middle seat.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

We considered the Hilton.  We finally settled on the Fairmont Copacabana at the other end of the beach right between Ipanema and Copacabana beaches.

We decided to book our airfare from Buenos Aires to Rio and our hotels on our own.  I am contacting both your suggestions (Gus and Rafael) about arranging transportation and 2 1/2 days of touring.

Thanks for the great information.

Curious why you decided on that hotel. No Copacabana Palace quite a ways up the beach? It's now a Belmond property so, while pricey, it must be quite something.   If you're in Rio on Saturday you MUST go for feijoada, the traditional Saturday family lunch. We love it SO much. And we head to The Deck on Av. Atlantica and Siqueira Campos. Right across the street from the beach. Have a great time!

copa.jpg