Hotel in Brooklyn

FritzG

DH and I are arriving at EWR at 1pm and using a car service to take us to Brooklyn for one night.  Since we'll be sailing the next morning we prefer to stay in Brooklyn.  Can anyone recommend a good hotel in a decent neighborhood in the $250/300 range?   

There are a lot of reasonably priced hotels just across the River in downtown Manhattan - a Hampton at the South Street Seaport, for example - is as close to the Brooklyn terminal as anything in Brooklyn (easy water taxi across) - which offer a lot more in things to do/places to eat.

• Like 1

Within your price range you have many (nearly unlimited) choices as to staying in Brooklyn. I think that with price not a substantial factor, the primary decision bases are proximity to the Brooklyn Cruise Port and the accessibility of the hotel to sights and/or attractions for the day that you are here. I can speak to these issues as someone who resides in New York City (in Flushing, Queens) and regularly travels to and within Brooklyn, but because of my residence I cannot speak first-hand of actually having stayed at a Brooklyn hotel. I will note my disagreement with the assertion that you "should" stay in Manhattan . . . true, there is much going on in that other borough, but Brooklyn is a great borough itself.

For location, I suggest restricting your search to the triangle formed by Atlantic Avenue, Flatbush Avenue, and the East River. This is the heart of central Brooklyn, and proximate to the Brooklyn Cruise Port. The most centrally-located hotel here, with the most going on in the immediate vicinity, exceptionally accessible by subway, and most expensive (~$260) is the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, on Adams Street. It is a new hotel--as are nearly all the reputable hotels in central Brooklyn--so it will not have much charm, but it certainly has all the conveniences that one would expect. Otherwise, there are several brand name hotels, with recognizable names, in this triangle that you can easily locate on any online booking platform, all of which will share a modern anonymous feel, but all being in the heart of everything Brooklyn and very accessible to the subway. Current rates range from ~$130 to ~$185 for Tillary Hotel, Hampton Inn, Sheraton, Hilton, Nu Hotel, Holiday Inn, and Even Hotel.

Outside of the above triangle, and slightly closer to the Brooklyn Cruise Port, are a string of hotels along the Fourth Avenue corridor between Atlantic Avenue and 20th Street. Current rates range from ~$98 to ~$171 for Comfort Inn, La Quinta, Hotel Le Bleu, Holiday Inn Express, Union Hotel, Baltic Hotel, and Fairfield Inn. These hotels are in the Park Slope neighborhood, adjacent to Carroll Gardens, both of which are fashionable neighborhoods. And while Fourth Avenue has a subway running below it, on the surface the avenue is not especially attractive . . . it is an automotive thoroughfare with mostly unremarkable commerce. It is, however, just one block off of Fifth Avenue, the main shopping street through Park Slope, which is much nicer than Fourth Avenue, and which is filled many interesting small stores, boutiques, restaurants, and nary a chain store in sight. A few blocks further, starting at Prospect Park West (equivalent to Ninth Avenue) is Prospect Park itself, and all of its attractions . . .  including the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and Prospect Park Zoo.

The hotel closet to the port, the Brooklyn Motor Inn (~$120), is a bit removed from everything (including subway transportation), and would be best only if you were to arrive late the night before, departing the next morning.

It would be ideal were there places to stay in Brooklyn Heights, as it is probably the most charming and quintessential central Brooklyn place in which to stay. The Hotel St. George was once "the" place in this neighborhood, and while it had fallen into a state of disrepair, it is now renovated but used as student dorms and no longer an option. As well, there are no legitimate B&Bs either. There is the 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, but it is at the bottom of the Heights, and more connected with lower Fulton Street than with the Heights . . . and is likely above your budget (~$387). Otherwise, it is unfortunate that there is no place to stay here.

Finally, a few of my personal favorite places in downtown Brooklyn: Junior's on DeKalb Avenue at Flatbush Avenue Extension (restaurant with the best cheesecake), Juliana's on Fulton Street near waterfront (pizza), Jacques Torres on Water Street off Main Street (chocolate), New York Transit Museum on Schermerhorn Street at Boerum Place, Sahadi's on Atlantic Avenue off Court Street (mid-eastern grocer), Mile End Delicatessen on Hoyt Street at Atlantic Avenue (Montréal-style smoked meat, poutine, and other Jewish fare).

• Like 3

On 7/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, FritzG said:

DH and I are arriving at EWR at 1pm and using a car service to take us to Brooklyn for one night.  Since we'll be sailing the next morning we prefer to stay in Brooklyn.  Can anyone recommend a good hotel in a decent neighborhood in the $250/300 range?   

Best Western Gregory Hotel in Bay Ridge.Neighborhood is very safe.Many restaurants in the area .Probably about $180.I recommended the hotel to people 15 years ago.I am not sure if it is still a place you would be interested in 

There are no decent hotels near the cruise port.You might want to call the NYC tourist information office located in Manhattan.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, FritzG said:

Thanks, but we're seniors who need help with luggage so a water taxi won't work.  We will have a very short stay so we prefer Brooklyn.

Taxi or Uber from downtown Manhattan to port is inexpensive.

On 7/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, GTJ said:

Within your price range you have many (nearly unlimited) choices as to staying in Brooklyn. I think that with price not a substantial factor, the primary decision bases are proximity to the Brooklyn Cruise Port and the accessibility of the hotel to sights and/or attractions for the day that you are here. I can speak to these issues as someone who resides in New York City (in Flushing, Queens) and regularly travels to and within Brooklyn, but because of my residence I cannot speak first-hand of actually having stayed at a Brooklyn hotel. I will note my disagreement with the assertion that you "should" stay in Manhattan . . . true, there is much going on in that other borough, but Brooklyn is a great borough itself.

For location, I suggest restricting your search to the triangle formed by Atlantic Avenue, Flatbush Avenue, and the East River. This is the heart of central Brooklyn, and proximate to the Brooklyn Cruise Port. The most centrally-located hotel here, with the most going on in the immediate vicinity, exceptionally accessible by subway, and most expensive (~$260) is the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, on Adams Street. It is a new hotel--as are nearly all the reputable hotels in central Brooklyn--so it will not have much charm, but it certainly has all the conveniences that one would expect. Otherwise, there are several brand name hotels, with recognizable names, in this triangle that you can easily locate on any online booking platform, all of which will share a modern anonymous feel, but all being in the heart of everything Brooklyn and very accessible to the subway. Current rates range from ~$130 to ~$185 for Tillary Hotel, Hampton Inn, Sheraton, Hilton, Nu Hotel, Holiday Inn, and Even Hotel.

Outside of the above triangle, and slightly closer to the Brooklyn Cruise Port, are a string of hotels along the Fourth Avenue corridor between Atlantic Avenue and 20th Street. Current rates range from ~$98 to ~$171 for Comfort Inn, La Quinta, Hotel Le Bleu, Holiday Inn Express, Union Hotel, Baltic Hotel, and Fairfield Inn. These hotels are in the Park Slope neighborhood, adjacent to Carroll Gardens, both of which are fashionable neighborhoods. And while Fourth Avenue has a subway running below it, on the surface the avenue is not especially attractive . . . it is an automotive thoroughfare with mostly unremarkable commerce. It is, however, just one block off of Fifth Avenue, the main shopping street through Park Slope, which is much nicer than Fourth Avenue, and which is filled many interesting small stores, boutiques, restaurants, and nary a chain store in sight. A few blocks further, starting at Prospect Park West (equivalent to Ninth Avenue) is Prospect Park itself, and all of its attractions . . .  including the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and Prospect Park Zoo.

The hotel closet to the port, the Brooklyn Motor Inn (~$120), is a bit removed from everything (including subway transportation), and would be best only if you were to arrive late the night before, departing the next morning.

It would be ideal were there places to stay in Brooklyn Heights, as it is probably the most charming and quintessential central Brooklyn place in which to stay. The Hotel St. George was once "the" place in this neighborhood, and while it had fallen into a state of disrepair, it is now renovated but used as student dorms and no longer an option. As well, there are no legitimate B&Bs either. There is the 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, but it is at the bottom of the Heights, and more connected with lower Fulton Street than with the Heights . . . and is likely above your budget (~$387). Otherwise, it is unfortunate that there is no place to stay here.

Finally, a few of my personal favorite places in downtown Brooklyn: Junior's on DeKalb Avenue at Flatbush Avenue Extension (restaurant with the best cheesecake), Juliana's on Fulton Street near waterfront (pizza), Jacques Torres on Water Street off Main Street (chocolate), New York Transit Museum on Schermerhorn Street at Boerum Place, Sahadi's on Atlantic Avenue off Court Street (mid-eastern grocer), Mile End Delicatessen on Hoyt Street at Atlantic Avenue (Montréal-style smoked meat, poutine, and other Jewish fare).

Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive reply.  I’ll certainly be able to chose our hotel with your advice.  

• Like 1

I’m reading this as the OP wants to get close to the port, and really isn’t interested in doing much in NYC. And I’m not sure when they’re cruising. 

Assuming restaurants and bars are open at the hotel, although GTJ gave a nice list of things nearby, the Marriott probably does what I think they’re looking for. The new Marriott design is a little sterile, but it’s also very convenient. And while I’d personally be venturing out for pizza nearby, if you just want a place to relax, grab a bite and a drink, that’s kind of the definition of a full service Marriott, if everything’s open. And when that’s what you’re doing, nothing beats a Marriott burger, and probably a Brooklyn micro brew…

Edited by markeb
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, markeb said:

I’m reading this as the OP wants to get close to the port, and really isn’t interested in doing much in NYC. And I’m not sure when they’re cruising. 

Assuming restaurants and bars are open at the hotel, although GTJ gave a nice list of things nearby, the Marriott probably does what I think they’re looking for. The new Marriott design is a little sterile, but it’s also very convenient. And while I’d personally be venturing out for pizza nearby, if you just want a place to relax, grab a bite and a drink, that’s kind of the definition of a full service Marriott, if everything’s open. And when that’s what you’re doing, nothing beats a Marriott burger, and probably a Brooklyn micro brew…

The Marriott is in NYC.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The Marriott is in NYC.

True.

Didn’t want to say Manhattan since it sounds like they just want a place to stay with minimal effort, including no real plans in Brooklyn. 

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

True.

Didn’t want to say Manhattan since it sounds like they just want a place to stay with minimal effort, including no real plans in Brooklyn. 

Many people believe that NYC is Manhattan. Having lived in Brooklyn for 60 years I encourage visitors from different states or countries to visit Brooklyn .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many people believe that NYC is Manhattan. Having lived in Brooklyn for 60 years I encourage visitors from different states or countries to visit Brooklyn .

Even native NYers such as myself refer to Manhattan as "the city". I don't know if the signs in any subway stations in the outer boroughs still read the same way, but in the past the correct platform for trains to Manhattan from Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx was often identified by signs that said "To City" .

14 hours ago, markeb said:

Assuming restaurants and bars are open at the hotel, although GTJ gave a nice list of things nearby, the Marriott probably does what I think they’re looking for. The new Marriott design is a little sterile, but it’s also very convenient.

For the reasons noted I believe your conclusion is probably correct as to the Marriott on Adams Street being the applicable standard here. Many years ago I worked within the building next door (370 Jay Street), and it was just such a central location for everything Brooklyn. I really do dislike the sterility, and in preparing the response I looked for some alternatives, especially in Brooklyn Heights, but there really are no historic or otherwise charming hotels available in downtown Brooklyn. Yet area is compact enough that all hotels I noted within the downtown triangle are nearly as central (with only the Tillary Hotel and Hampton Inn, both located on Flatbush Avenue Extension at Tillary Street, being slightly peripheral and less integrated with the heart of downtown Brooklyn). For those not riding the "Manhattan tourist" circuit, and for those truly interested in or fascinated by Brooklyn, the Marriott is quintessential, with the others satisfactory.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Even native NYers such as myself refer to Manhattan as "the city". I don't know if the signs in any subway stations in the outer boroughs still read the same way, but in the past the correct platform for trains to Manhattan from Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx was often identified by signs that said "To City" .

For some reason I do not remember that.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

For the reasons noted I believe your conclusion is probably correct as to the Marriott on Adams Street being the applicable standard here. Many years ago I worked within the building next door (370 Jay Street), and it was just such a central location for everything Brooklyn. I really do dislike the sterility, and in preparing the response I looked for some alternatives, especially in Brooklyn Heights, but there really are no historic or otherwise charming hotels available in downtown Brooklyn. Yet area is compact enough that all hotels I noted within the downtown triangle are nearly as central (with only the Tillary Hotel and Hampton Inn, both located on Flatbush Avenue Extension at Tillary Street, being slightly peripheral and less integrated with the heart of downtown Brooklyn). For those not riding the "Manhattan tourist" circuit, and for those truly interested in or fascinated by Brooklyn, the Marriott is quintessential, with the others satisfactory.

Whenever people I knew were coming from out of state to a wedding in Brooklyn they always stayed at the Gregory or one on Emmons Ave.Both very safe areas.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I recall have read one article from a good many years ago that attempted to distinguish Brooklyn from Queens by noting that Brooklyn and its stations tended to refer to Manhattan as the "City" (perhaps as an equivalence to Brooklyn having been a competing city itself prior to the 1898 unification), while Queens and its stations tended to refer to Manhattan as "New York" (given that, other than LIC, Queens had always been suburban or rural) . . . or was it the other way around? I never did get around to following up on that. The Bronx may have been different, since it had a much longer connection with Manhattan (at least west of the Bronx River), its street grid being a continuation of Manhattan streets. (Sure, there were small independent villages in the Bronx, such as Melrose in Morrisania, but such was also the case in Manhattan, such as Bloomingdale . . . the Bronx simply became part of the expanding New York City in 1874, prior to consolidation in 1898, and so has been longer integrated as just additional NYC wards.)  But I will note as well that both the geographic centroid of New York City is in either Brooklyn or Queens (see here for a short discussion of the issue), and on that basis I consider Manhattan to be one of the "outer" boroughs. Nonetheless, when taking the subway or LIRR from my home in Flushing, Queens, to Manhattan, I usually refer to Manhattan as either "New York" or the "City."

7 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I recall have read one article from a good many years ago that attempted to distinguish Brooklyn from Queens by noting that Brooklyn and its stations tended to refer to Manhattan as the "City" (perhaps as an equivalence to Brooklyn having been a competing city itself prior to the 1898 unification), while Queens and its stations tended to refer to Manhattan as "New York" (given that, other than LIC, Queens had always been suburban or rural) . . . or was it the other way around? I never did get around to following up on that. The Bronx may have been different, since it had a much longer connection with Manhattan (at least west of the Bronx River), its street grid being a continuation of Manhattan streets. (Sure, there were small independent villages in the Bronx, such as Melrose in Morrisania, but such was also the case in Manhattan, such as Bloomingdale . . . the Bronx simply became part of the expanding New York City in 1874, prior to consolidation in 1898, and so has been longer integrated as just additional NYC wards.)  But I will note as well that both the geographic centroid of New York City is in either Brooklyn or Queens (see here for a short discussion of the issue), and on that basis I consider Manhattan to be one of the "outer" boroughs. Nonetheless, when taking the subway or LIRR from my home in Flushing, Queens, to Manhattan, I usually refer to Manhattan as either "New York" or the "City."

I guess I am in the minority.In the 60 years that I lived in Brooklyn I never once referred to Manhattan as the city.I now live in Long Island and whenever I took the railroad always said Manhattan.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Whenever people I knew were coming from out of state to a wedding in Brooklyn they always stayed at the Gregory or one on Emmons Ave.

My aunt and uncle used to live in Sheepshead Bay (East 17th Street at Avenue W), so I've been there many times, frequently walking down to all the fishing vessels docked off of Emmons Avenue, and using the pedestrian bridge across the bay. Both it and Bay Ridge are fine areas in which to stay and be part of Brooklyn. I would certainly encourage others to stay in those neighborhoods. Here, however, I read the original post as seeking a way station in Brooklyn, not so much to see New York City itself (be it Manhattan or other boroughs) but as a convenient place reasonably proximate to the Brooklyn Cruise Port and outside the Manhattan tourist circuit. For that reason I did not think that locales within Brooklyn that are further away from the port were desired.

2 minutes ago, GTJ said:

My aunt and uncle used to live in Sheepshead Bay (East 17th Street at Avenue W), so I've been there many times, frequently walking down to all the fishing vessels docked off of Emmons Avenue, and using the pedestrian bridge across the bay. Both it and Bay Ridge are fine areas in which to stay and be part of Brooklyn. I would certainly encourage others to stay in those neighborhoods. Here, however, I read the original post as seeking a way station in Brooklyn, not so much to see New York City itself (be it Manhattan or other boroughs) but as a convenient place reasonably proximate to the Brooklyn Cruise Port and outside the Manhattan tourist circuit. For that reason I did not think that locales within Brooklyn that are further away from the port were desired.

Correct,but as an aside I recommend to people from out of state or from other countries that if they have time to tour NYC that they board the M3 commuter bus which stops at various places in Manhattan to Sheepshead Bay and tour that area ,Manhattan Beach,Brighton Beach and Coney Island.My late mother in law lived on Ave.W in Sheepshead Bay and many times I would get into conversation with people sitting along the Bay on Emmons Ave and find that they were tourists.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I guess I am in the minority.In the 60 years that I lived in Brooklyn I never once referred to Manhattan as the city.I now live in Long Island and whenever I took the railroad always said Manhattan.

My grandmother lived on Beverley Road, off of Coney Island Avenue, and I remember that when we went to the subway station--it was a headhouse on the road above the tracks and platforms--there was an indicator in the waiting area that illuminated and buzzed for arriving trains, showing either "Coney Island" or "City," depending on from which direction the train was arriving. As a youngster it did confuse me for the same reason: if Brooklyn was part of New York City, how could one be going to someplace where one already was? Today, as an adult studied in the history of New York City, and residing in "suburban" Flushing, Queens, I now have the understanding and appreciation for the reason.