Hotel in Brooklyn

FritzG

1 minute ago, GTJ said:

My grandmother lived on Beverley Road, off of Coney Island Avenue, and I remember that when we went to the subway station--it was a headhouse on the road above the tracks and platforms--there was an indicator in the waiting area that illuminated and buzzed for arriving trains, showing either "Coney Island" or "City," depending on from which direction the train was arriving. As a youngster it did confuse me for the same reason: if Brooklyn was part of New York City, how could one be going to someplace where one already was? Today, as an adult studied in the history of New York City, and residing in "suburban" Flushing, Queens, I now have the understanding and appreciation for the reason.

I am familiar with the station on Beverly and E.16 street but not the train station on McDonald Ave.

Many people that I know or knew moved to Forest Hills over the past 20 years .It is only recently ,within the past 5 years that I have been hearing of people moving to Flushing.A friend of mine who traveled to China on business as part of his job invited my wife and I to go with him and his wife to a Chinese restaurant in Flushing where he ordered the entire meal in the same language as everyone else .

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I recommend to people from out of state or from other countries that if they have time to tour NYC that they board the M3 commuter bus which stops at various places in Manhattan to Sheepshead Bay and tour that area ,Manhattan Beach,Brighton Beach and Coney Island.My late mother in law lived on Ave.W in Sheepshead Bay and many times I would get into conversation with people sitting along the Bay on Emmons Ave and find that they were tourists.

Having previously worked as an executive with Command Bus Company and its corporate affiliates (predecessor of Pioneer Bus Corp.), responsible for provision of that BM3 bus service, I very much appreciate the kind words. Your late mother-in-law and my aunt and now-deceased uncle must have been neighbors and might have known each other. I love it when I find tourists going to visit places that are off the tourist-sights circuit, and who have an interest in seeing places and history that go beyond what the tourist industry tells them they ought to go see. I get so turned off by being surrounded by other tourists, of being told factoids from prepared scripts, and of just being herded. To find a few tourists interested in seeing, say, the historic center of Gravesend, or even going to Spumoni Gardens, excites me to no end.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many people that I know or knew moved to Forest Hills over the past 20 years .It is only recently ,within the past 5 years that I have been hearing of people moving to Flushing.

If money were not an issue I would choose to reside in Forest Hills Gardens. In my view, Forest Hills has much of the same aura and commerce as parts of Manhattan and Park Slope, but being part of Queens and much less pretentiousness (yes some, but not nearly as much). I like Flushing not because of the Chinese community (to me it is simply a bonus) but because it is a concentrated center of commerce and activity, where nearly everything required for living is within a 15-minute walk . . . much more centralized than any other place in NYC. As well, being in the transportation industry, it is the most active and concentrated center for that activity anywhere in the city (and possibly the country). I would love it if more tourists would come to see Flushing, but even with our largest event--the annual U.S. Open played in our famous park--few come to visit.

15 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Having previously worked as an executive with Command Bus Company and its corporate affiliates (predecessor of Pioneer Bus Corp.), responsible for provision of that BM3 bus service, I very much appreciate the kind words. Your late mother-in-law and my aunt and now-deceased uncle must have been neighbors and might have known each other. I love it when I find tourists going to visit places that are off the tourist-sights circuit, and who have an interest in seeing places and history that go beyond what the tourist industry tells them they ought to go see. I get so turned off by being surrounded by other tourists, of being told factoids from prepared scripts, and of just being herded. To find a few tourists interested in seeing, say, the historic center of Gravesend, or even going to Spumoni Gardens, excites me to no end.

I lived in Canarsie from 1967 to 2003 and rode the Pioneer/Command bus every morning and evening on days that I worked as well as on Saturday’s if my wife and I were going to Manhattan.I probably knew all the drivers because they interchanged routes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GTJ said:

If money were not an issue I would choose to reside in Forest Hills Gardens. In my view, Forest Hills has much of the same aura and commerce as parts of Manhattan and Park Slope, but being part of Queens and much less pretentiousness (yes some, but not nearly as much). I like Flushing not because of the Chinese community (to me it is simply a bonus) but because it is a concentrated center of commerce and activity, where nearly everything required for living is within a 15-minute walk . . . much more centralized than any other place in NYC. As well, being in the transportation industry, it is the most active and concentrated center for that activity anywhere in the city (and possibly the country). I would love it if more tourists would come to see Flushing, but even with our largest event--the annual U.S. Open played in our famous park--few come to visit.

They come to Citi Field to see America’s best baseball team.I used to go to Shea Stadium ,Flushing Meadow Park and had friends living on Kissena Blvd when I was in my 20’s.

• Like 1

Without hijacking the OP, at some point I’d like to get some ideas, maybe for a weekend in Brooklyn, allowing for the train from DC to Penn Station. We haven’t done it, and keep talking about it. We’re really comfortable in Manhattan, but Brooklyn is a whole new world…

Probably worth a thread…

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, markeb said:

Without hijacking the OP, at some point I’d like to get some ideas, maybe for a weekend in Brooklyn, allowing for the train from DC to Penn Station. We haven’t done it, and keep talking about it. We’re really comfortable in Manhattan, but Brooklyn is a whole new world…

Probably worth a thread…

If you go to Fifth Avenue and E.32 St.you can board any of 4 commuter buses going to Brooklyn.If it is an off hour ,any time from 11AM to 2 PM and let the driver know that you are a tourist it is quite likely that the driver will point out places of interest along the route.My suggestion is the BM3 bus .The last stop is Sheepshead Bay where there is a walking bridge to Manhattan Beach.You can then walk back over the bridge and walk West to Brighton Beach and the boardwalk to Coney Island .

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I * * * had friends living on Kissena Blvd when I was in my 20’s.

I reside on Kissena Boulevard, one and one-half blocks south of Sanford Avenue.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Did you grow up in Flushing ?

Native New Yorker but raised in Illinois . . . been in Flushing for past 30+ years. Very much enjoy it here, and I strive to welcome others visiting--even if only pre- or post-cruise, and especially so if the interest extends beyond Manhattan to places like Queens and Brooklyn.

8 hours ago, GTJ said:

Native New Yorker but raised in Illinois . . . been in Flushing for past 30+ years. Very much enjoy it here, and I strive to welcome others visiting--even if only pre- or post-cruise, and especially so if the interest extends beyond Manhattan to places like Queens and Brooklyn.

I have several friends who were born in Brooklyn but went to college in different states and are still living in the states where they went to college.

I was born raised and educated in Brooklyn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sorry - it was just an arguably insensitive dig from a REAL New Yorker (Manhattan born and bred) aimed at an outer-borough wannabe.

You may have been born and bred in Manhattan but you left for CT.I lived in Brooklyn 60 years then moved to Long Island .I have always lived in NY.😀

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My family and I spent a lot of time in CT .We have good friends who lived in New Britain .

I have always spent a lot of time in New York - after I moved to CT I continued to commute to the City for work - and to this day regularly  visit for seeing friends, enjoying museums, restaurants, theatre (until recently), etc.   I just found that it was no longer the most desirable place to live.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have always spent a lot of time in New York - after I moved to CT I continued to commute to the City for work - and to this day regularly  visit for seeing friends, enjoying museums, restaurants, theatre (until recently), etc.   I just found that it was no longer the most desirable place to live.

I loved living in Brooklyn and working in nice areas of Manhattan.I retired in 1999 .A friend who retired in 1993 started a business and wanted me to join him.However,it was in an industry that I had no experience in.

I found myself bored and decided to join his company in 2000 but I was still trying to find something even if part time in my field.

Five years later I became VP of the company.

This was great but I was mugged for the fourth time between 1997 and 2002 and decided it was time to get out of Brooklyn.We moved to LI and I continued working via the railroad.

• 7 months later...
On 7/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, GTJ said:

he conveniences that one would expect. Otherwise, there are several brand name hotels, with recognizable names, in this triangle that you can easily locate on any online booking platform, all of which will share a modern anonymous feel, but all being in the heart of everything Brooklyn and very accessible to the subway. Current rates range from ~$130 to ~$185 for Tillary Hotel, Hampton Inn, Sheraton, Hilton, Nu Hotel, Holiday Inn, and Even Hotel.

Thank you for all this information. Being unfamiliar with the area of Brooklyn, when I look up these name brand hotels, what streets(s) will they be on. I'm concerned that I will look up Hampton Inn and more than one will pop up and I need to get the one that is in the correct place

20 hours ago, mrspaper said:

Being unfamiliar with the area of Brooklyn, when I look up these name brand hotels, what streets(s) will they be on. I'm concerned that I will look up Hampton Inn and more than one will pop up and I need to get the one that is in the correct place

That's an issue I can certainly appreciate, as I encounter it when I am searching for a hotel in a place I do not know well. There are many streets in downtown Brooklyn, so it is difficult to pinpoint exactly all the possible streets. Here's a partial list: Flatbush Avenue Extension, Adams Street, Duffield Street, Schermerhorn Street, Smith Street, Furman Street, Fulton Street, Livingston Street, Atlantic Avenue, Nevins Street. A better strategy might be to cross-reference with Google maps. Here's a link to the map of hotels in downtown Brooklyn: https://goo.gl/maps/mZVuZ7Pmmy4BzViX7. The cluster of hotels in the northwest (upper left) corner is in downtown Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Cruise Port is on the East River, to the south of downtown Brooklyn, and you can see a string of other hotels in that direction, largely between Third and Fourth Avenues (south of downtown Brooklyn there is a subway that operates under Fourth Avenue).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GTJ said:

That's an issue I can certainly appreciate, as I encounter it when I am searching for a hotel in a place I do not know well. There are many streets in downtown Brooklyn, so it is difficult to pinpoint exactly all the possible streets. Here's a partial list: Flatbush Avenue Extension, Adams Street, Duffield Street, Schermerhorn Street, Smith Street, Furman Street, Fulton Street, Livingston Street, Atlantic Avenue, Nevins Street. A better strategy might be to cross-reference with Google maps. Here's a link to the map of hotels in downtown Brooklyn: https://goo.gl/maps/mZVuZ7Pmmy4BzViX7. The cluster of hotels in the northwest (upper left) corner is in downtown Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Cruise Port is on the East River, to the south of downtown Brooklyn, and you can see a string of other hotels in that direction, largely between Third and Fourth Avenues (south of downtown Brooklyn there is a subway that operates under Fourth Avenue).

thanks

• 3 months later...

Sorry to highjack.   But .... New Yorkers -  hubby and I are sailing NCL Prima transatlantic cruise in September, London - NYC.    We are staying in Manhattan a few days after our cruise and would like to spend a day in Brooklyn.   I was born in Brooklyn (Greenpoint) but moved away when I was 4.  Any suggestions of what our best mode of transportation to get there from Manhattan, things to see, where to eat, bars, etc.   Thanks for any input! 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, ruthie0704 said:

Sorry to highjack.   But .... New Yorkers -  hubby and I are sailing NCL Prima transatlantic cruise in September, London - NYC.    We are staying in Manhattan a few days after our cruise and would like to spend a day in Brooklyn.   I was born in Brooklyn (Greenpoint) but moved away when I was 4.  Any suggestions of what our best mode of transportation to get there from Manhattan, things to see, where to eat, bars, etc.   Thanks for any input! 

Where are you staying in Manhattan and where exactly do you want to go in Brooklyn? Brooklyn is large. Lol. 

The easiest way to get to Brooklyn is subway. But you can also take a ferry or even walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. 

I think you should start a new post. You’ll get more responses that way. 

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 2