British Isles - Celebrity Apex May, 2022 or Emerald Princess September, 2022

We have sailed Emerald Princess in Alaska. Great ship. Princess is great and is very compatible.  If you are a foodie and like luxury, I would go Celebrity Apex.  Amsterdam is also an easier airport.

If you are flying to Southampton, chances are you are flying to Heathrow - you'll have a 1 hour transfer by car to Southampton.  Princess also doesn't include tips and drinks usually.

I'd prefer sailing in September. The weather on our trips has been great then. When I was in England in May one year, it rained every day for a month. Overall, though, I'd look at the difference in the itineraries and decide which ports interest you the most. When I look at the itineraries, it seems like Celebrity goes to Dover, Portland, and Shetland. Princess goes to Guernsey, Invergordon, Edinburgh, and Le Havre. Both are going to Cobh, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast, and Greenock. 

Invergordon and Edinburgh were two of our favorite ports when we did our British Isles cruise. On another cruise, our ship skipped going to Portland due to high winds. It's been several decades since I went to Dover. I don't remember much about it.

Something else to consider if you are flying into the Netherlands and then leaving on a cruise which goes to the British Isles.  There may be different Covid and vaccination restrictions in going from one country to another.  Hopefully by 2022 all these things will have been ironed out and there won't be any problems.  Our last stop on the cruise is Le Havre, which is, of course, in France, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  We have cruised mainly with Princess in our 25 year cruising history and have always enjoyed being on their ships.  Not having tried Celebrity, I can't offer an opinion on that line.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...