Who is your goto for annual travel insurance

bohaiboy

37 minutes ago, mwmcgehee said:

So, I'm looking at an annual coverage contract as well.  We have, for the past several years, used Travel Insured per trip insurance.

We did have one claim.  My wife was having chest pains on the final night of a cruise.  Turned out to be a gall bladder issue but all of the tests, treatment and diagnosis were covered 100% (of course, I had to pay upfront and then claim the amount, it was settled within a couple of weeks).

Now, has anyone used one of the companies to return a sick or injured person home?  Would the $100k that Travel Insured covers you for be adequate?

Thanks for any insight.

We've had several claims handled by Travel Insured also, and they have been great.

As for medevac... we prefer to get the extra MedJetAssist, even if the Travel Insured policy would have covered it.

The reason is that with regular insurance, one will be taken to something like "the nearest appropriate medical facility".  Well, depending upon where we are... we might not think that the "little local medical clinic aka hospital" is actually "appropriate".

MJA lets the patient/traveler make the decision about whether to be medevac'd to the hospital of choice (in the USA, for USA-based travelers anyway).  If the patient is stable enough to be transported, with a full medical aircraft and with medical staffing, then they'll take you.  (If you aren't stable enough for that, then there are likely to be other "problems" pending...)

The policy kicks in if you are at least 150 miles from home, so the annual policy (they also have per-trip) worked for us, as it covered work trips or visits to friends/family.  (Well, pre-"plague", when we were actually going anywhere 😞 )

And nope, fortunately, we've never needed to use it.

However, there was one time when I was in hospital overseas that we started discussing, "Should we call MJA now or not?" - and about the time we decided, "Yup, let's call them"... I started to recover.  Travel Insured paid for considerable travel changes on that trip, and they were very easy to work with when we got back.  That was the third largest claim we had with them; unfortunately, there were two that other claims that were considerably larger, also handled very easily.)

GC

• Thanks 1