The Daily for Sunday Jul 11, 2021

richwmn

Today is Cheer up the Lonely Day, All American Pet Photo Day, and National Swimming Pool Day

"To me, if life boils down to one thing, it's movement. To live is to keep moving. - Jerry Seinfeld"

Meal suggestion for today - Hamburger Stroganoff

Drink of the Day - Fireball Hot Toddies

Wine of the day - Piedra Negra Torrontes - Argentina - White

Destination of the Day - Bordeaux France

At Sea Gulf of California
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 7/12

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 7/15
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle eta 7/14

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stiffup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Zuiderdam

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Operations off Greece

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0710Europe.thumb.png.5ec6e6629a905cee862f24bfbd9bb51f.png

0710USA.thumb.png.204837c9a6b1549f43752f213ed76a36.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  This is a great place to cheer up the lonely and I expect a lot of pet photos today.  I think @dfish will especially appreciate National Swimming Pool Day.  Love the Seinfeld quote.  I have not been to Bordeaux.  The meal suggestion sounds nice.  10 years ago today I left home for my first modern HAL cruise and boarded 10 years ago tomorrow.  For my alternative menu suggestion I'll use the Mariner Brunch for that cruise, a Rotterdam transatlantic, Apple and Pear Gazpacho, Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Garlic Cloves, and Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart.

Today’s care list:

RIP Montgomery County PA Vol FF Sean DeMuynck Last Alarm 7/4.
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Momaofami adapting to Sam at home
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
Pope Francis in hospital
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Scout Luke G in hospital(improving somewhat)
Marmot@sea’s cousin close to wildfire
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor
wandb’s sister heading to surgery 7/13

From the rotation:
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer
Sharon’s mother with pnumothorax and positive lung biopsy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
A wediding for Ger_77
Sam’s caregiver settling in
Retirement for Live4Cruises
HorizonChaser1957's DD released from quarantine
First indor performance for Baltimore Symphony
NextOne’s family gathering for DH Memorial Service
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

I did hear a bit more about the bomb scare at FLL this morning.  A customer got into an argument with an agent and walked away leaving his bag on the desk.  When asked to remove it he said "there's a bomb inside".  They rewrote his ticket to the local jail.  I know it caused both the Edge (incoming flights) and Crystal Serenity (flights to Nassau) to leave late and I expect the same was true for Adventure of the Seas in Nassau.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for the Sunday daily and care reports.

Nice meal and drink suggestions.

I think we should all make an effort to help lonely people.

It is 70°F and sunny here at mid day.

Bordeaux is a nice port.

We had a lovely church service and have just called at the beach to look at the sea.

Today's saying is very true.

Our family pet Dalmatian Domino died the day after my birthday 6 years ago and he is sadly missed.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Picture 022.jpg

• Like 32

Happy Sunday!

Bordeaux reminds me of a visit on the Prinsendam where, try as we did, we could not get a taxi to come to the ship.  How different from ports where cruise ships visit frequently.

• Like 12

Good  morning  to  all. I love  swimming  pools  and  do  my  best  to  reach  out  to  lonely  people. I  will  look  for  a  good  picture  of  Fred  for  Pet  photo  day. He  is  usually  on  the  move, a  very  busy  dog.

We  have  been  to  Bordeaux  twice  on  the  Prinsendam  and  really  enjoyed  it. The  first  time  we  took  a  CC group  walking  tour and  covered  a  lot  of  the  city. The  second  time  DH  and  I did  our  own  walking  tour   and  enjoyed  coffee  at  an  outdoor  cafe  in  beautiful  weather. The  next  morning we  sailed  under  the  amazing  moveable  bridge  before  sunrise. It  was  one  of  the  most gorgeous  sailaways I  have  ever  seen.

CC  is  not  allowing  me  to  enter  pictures  on  either  the  phone  or  computer,hmmmmm.

I  will  be  back  later

Terry

• Like 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Great collection of days.  I'll see if I can get a picture of Bertie Woofster to share.

Love the quote by Seinfeld.

The meal suggestion sounds good, but I think we will grill steaks instead.

We haven't been to Bordeaux, but we will be there next year. 🤞

Prayers for everyone who needs them, cheers to all who celebrate something.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  The one I like the most is Cheer Up the Lonely day.  One of the best ways to cheer yourself up is to cheer someone else up 😉 

CC949477-3D56-491A-973B-B27B36061A46.thumb.jpeg.9e819ed9de59cc5341ea04744e694fcb.jpeg

Love the Seinfeld quote.  Going to be too warm for stroganoff tonight.  Perhaps another day 😉   Torrentes wine from Argentina is usually good.  Looking forward to hearing about this one 👍 

Happy vine!

D23C0924-822C-46FC-B03B-8A5F2C4BE7C2.thumb.jpeg.ac8212529748e742f760465ebd36783b.jpeg

4C3A6333-4832-4FD5-984A-03DC76549A03.thumb.jpeg.1459dd82e23cc820235ba40b4387b179.jpeg

Seems to always be something purple or pink blooming 😉 

BC8D718A-D4D3-419B-A634-9BBC809F2616.thumb.jpeg.bba058bd138c630a762b3514f4759219.jpeg

We spent two glorious days in Bordeaux on the Prinsendam in 2019 and I will hunt through my dozens of pictures and try to choose a few to post.😉

Prayers for those on the Care list & for everyone that needs them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!

BCAF5E9B-446F-4EEB-A86E-E1669C56233B.jpeg.cd1ee444ad445850ccf37f966e0520e0.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷  

891E8231-644C-4B90-B36E-B3CB3AE8510B.jpeg

• Like 32

Good morning, everyone!

We have cool temperatures today with rain.   I'll take the rain.  My lawn and garden can use it.  

@Sharon in AZ I am so sorry to read of your mom's diagnosis and difficulties.  She does have difficult decisions ahead of her and I know you will be a source of comfort for her.  

@mamaofamiIt sounds like things are settling into a good routine for you and Sam.   I'm glad he likes his caregiver.  May the rest of his recuperation be uneventful and rapid.  

@rafinmd Roy, you are 100% correct about the pool day and me.  I wasn't able to go while I was in Michigan and my back is telling me about it.  Mostly in the middle of the night.  

I agree that reaching out to the lonely is something we should do all the time.  This pandemic created more loneliness as many people were by themselves and couldn't visit with friends.   My sisters and I initiated a weekly Zoom get together and that helped immensely.

Today's meal sounds great, but not exactly summertime fare.   Although, yesterday would have been a good day for it as we were on the cool side.   

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/hamburger-stroganoff-skillet-5478672

402010260_HamburgerStroganoff.jpeg.45d4247f103fda9704608e0efb6e040a.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Our pool at the condominium opened about a month ago after a long covid pause. I won't make it to the pool today, but will the next two days.

As a pastor, I never run out of lonely people to cheer. Many of them have intentionally self-isolated and pushed everyone away. They don't even like their own company. Finding ways to show love to them without slipping into pity is quite a challenge. Being lonely isn't always a choice; it is just a consequence of life decisions.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a frequent summertime Holland America port, Bar Harbor, Maine. I have been here, first on the Maasdam in 2006, on the reposition cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal, and again on the same in 2014. Third time on her sister ship, the Veendam in 2017 coming from Montreal to Boston which was in June. All 3 times were cool and mostly wet.

Friday, we returned via Buick, to a rainy day thanks to Elsa.

Saturday, yesterday, finally was glorious with sunshine and 70 degrees! We were able to tour Acadia National Park complete with walking the rugged shoreline along Thunder Hole to Otter Point and the drive up Cadillac Mountain. The ranger on Cadillac said the visibility was approximately 80 miles. Now I know why people love Bar Harbor! The little city is nice, but Acadia is the jewel that keeps tourists coming here and have for over a hundred years. My oldest Aunt honeymooned here in the 1920's.

20210710_104642.jpg

20210710_104654.jpg

20210710_105250.jpg

20210710_115229.jpg

20210710_153304.jpg

20210710_115531.jpg

20210710_161227.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Great group of days.  Will absolutely enjoy the National Swimming Pool Day.  Looking forward to all the pet photo's and Port of the Day photo's.

Love the meal suggestion and have it often.  Great Seinfeld quote.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Fireball Hot Toddy:

Yields: 2

Ingredients

2 c. boiling water
1/4 c. warm caramel
2 tsp. honey
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 c. Fireball
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise

Directions

Bring water to a boil and dip glasses in caramel. Add honey to each glass and squeeze lemon juice. Pour over Fireball and boiling water and stir until honey is dissolved.
Top with cinnamon stick and star anise.

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 8.16.12 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning:

Reaching out to lonely people is important. I will share a photo of our fluffy family member. We are fortunate to have a pool that we enjoy 12 months of the year. (I will definately be in it today).

The meal suggestions from both Rich and Roy sound great.

Stay safe everyone.

162841845_870866513475268_7654122953723566688_n.thumb.jpg.e8d3417ab178797229ea2b0573bcdad0.jpg

162841845_870866513475268_7654122953723566688_n.jpg

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Our caregiver is taking really good care of Sam and she works very hard. The only conflict we have is that she thinks her day begins at 9am because she showed me a text she got from the agency the day before she started that said she started work with Sam at 9am that next morning. She has interpreted that as 9am every day . The agency told me she has 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and her time off begins as soon as Sam goes to bed. When I mentioned it to her she threatened to leave. Unfortunately this leaves Sam in bed in the am needing to use the facilities and he has to wait till 9am. The agency said they would talk to her and I begged them not to say anything until she settled in for a few days. I honestly don’t want her to know I complained because I don’t want her to leave. This also leaves me prisoner in my room until 9 when I can get some coffee. I’m hoping we can settle this tomorrow.

Yesterday two couples visited with us outside on our patio and this was great for Sam because he was craving social interaction.. My daughter and her husband rolled up our area rugs and turned our piano around so. Sam could access the keyboard. He said it was great for his brain because he read the notes and told his hands where to go.

Have a good day everyone.

Carol

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  As Jacqui has said, one of the best ways to cheer up yourself is to cheer up someone else.  Throughout this pandemic, I've made a point of calling friends and relatives from time to time just to check and see how they were doing.  I even reconnected with a long-lost cousin whom I hadn't spoken to in likely 20 years; we had a great conversation, catching up with each other's lives.  

Here's our Sochi after her recent lion shave - you can really see her "puss in boots" look in this photo.

Highness.JPG.357b07bb937828ebd333f235d72b5d53.JPG

We aren't pool people, but get us to Half Moon Cay, and we're transformed into water babies.

We were delighted to be able to attend a lovely wedding yesterday - the son of dearly departed friends - in a beautiful cathedral.  Everyone was socially distanced, and it almost felt normal again.  Because of Covid restrictions, no reception or dance, but they'll be holding a grand party next summer for family and friends, one that we're looking forward to already.

Today's menu suggestion is certainly one for cooler days - in fact, it's one I've made from time to time. Hopefully it will cool down enough for us to be able to eat outside - yesterday was even too hot to eat in the pergola in the yard, so we sat at our kitchen table in air conditioned comfort.  For us, because of the heat, we'll be having a cool dinner - I've got fixings for a Caesar salad and will cook up some chicken breasts in the air fryer to top it off.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers to all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I’m not sure I will make it to the pool today, thunderstorms are in the afternoon. 
    My photo of our only female. Miss Fluff.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

F61E1ECC-6311-468B-BEB8-8D8D47884221.jpeg

• Like 27