Pre-departure Covid testing for UK residents

Wandering Words

1 minute ago, Riocca said:

I’m sure it will sail as there will be non U.K. cruisers who don’t have to jump through hoops, from a personal point of view as much as we would like to be back on Azamara we don’t want the hassle - yet. Next year if things are still the same then we will have to see how the logistics pan out.

Yes, I think you're right about the non-UK cruisers. It's more whether they look at Cyprus and decide UK passengers would compromise the entire cruise docking, so ban them to prevent that. 

And can completely understand people choosing not to sail before next year. I feel I'm constantly on tenterhooks with all the changes happening. But my job over the past year has been so intense that I'm desperate to get back to cruising, so willing to risk it and put the extra effort into planning. 

30 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Yes, I think you're right about the non-UK cruisers. It's more whether they look at Cyprus and decide UK passengers would compromise the entire cruise docking, so ban them to prevent that. 

And can completely understand people choosing not to sail before next year. I feel I'm constantly on tenterhooks with all the changes happening. But my job over the past year has been so intense that I'm desperate to get back to cruising, so willing to risk it and put the extra effort into planning. 

Good luck I sincerely hope it all works out for you, we will be watching these first cruises closely, and with just a touch of envy.

• Like 1

Just now, Riocca said:

Good luck I sincerely hope it all works out for you, we will be watching these first cruises closely, and with just a touch of envy.

Thank you! I'll post a review afterwards so you can get an idea of what it is like, and whether it would suit you yet. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Riocca said:

Many of the Greek itineraries include a stop in Cyprus, the U.K. is on their red list which means arriving passengers must have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival and a further PCR test, at the passengers cost, on arrival results taking 3 hours. So currently those itineraries would be impossible for U.K. passengers.

not sure if the Cyprus Flight Pass is not up to date (or whether the same procedure is relevant for cruise passengers) but for vaccinated passengers there is no requirement for the test in advance...although it does state 'It is noted that upon their arrival in the Republic of Cyprus, vaccinated passengers will not be excluded from any RT-PCR laboratory sampling examination, which may be carried out by the Ministry of Health and the strict implementation of the health protocols in force in the Republic of Cyprus."

https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/en/vaccinated-passengers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scots Caz said:

not sure if the Cyprus Flight Pass is not up to date (or whether the same procedure is relevant for cruise passengers) but for vaccinated passengers there is no requirement for the test in advance...although it does state 'It is noted that upon their arrival in the Republic of Cyprus, vaccinated passengers will not be excluded from any RT-PCR laboratory sampling examination, which may be carried out by the Ministry of Health and the strict implementation of the health protocols in force in the Republic of Cyprus."

https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/en/vaccinated-passengers

Took the information from the U.K. FCDO website which “should” be the definitive information for U.K. passengers, but who knows these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Took the information from the U.K. FCDO website which “should” be the definitive information for U.K. passengers, but who knows these days.

It's on that page also (you need to scroll down the section)

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cyprus/entry-requirements

"Travellers with proof of two COVID-19 vaccinations are not required to take a PCR test before departure. If you have received two vaccinations you will still need to obtain a Cyprus flight pass. You should check the Cyprus Flight Pass website for information on which vaccinations are acceptable, and the length of time which should have elapsed between your final dose and date of travel."

We are hopefully on the Journey departing Athens on 13th October

Agree this is all too complicated, the main issues for us are

Azamara UK terms & conditions are quite explicit that passengers need to have travel insurance which is difficult to get because of the FCO advice (ban) on International cruising. Spoke to my normal insurer who said no but a very interesting and confident conversation with Coverforyou (thanks Huntingdon)  said that the FCO advice only covers International cruises departing from a UK port!!!.  As long as the FCO advice doesn't ban the Greek mainland (need to check) then they will provide cover for the cruise.  In addition to this perhaps Azamara should get an insurance company to offer a policy for its cruise.

The cruise needs to avoid Kusadasi in Turkey as it is currently on the Red list and would entail a nice (not) hotel stay on return to the UK.  It would be ideal if Azamara would make a commitment now to avoid Turkey if they were still on the Red List.  Not sure if you can actually travel from Turkey to Greece at the moment. 

Still no clarity regarding capacity, previous statements regarding reduced capacity seem to have disappeared.

Still no clarity on limitations regarding excursions. just need Azamara to state that if the Greek Government allow self guided tours then that's ok by them 

The option of us cancelling and getting FCC's is not great because we already have FCC's booked against this cruise which we will probably lose, please correct me if Im wrong. 

Just need to get some of these issues sorted so that we can start to look forward to the trip.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, laser2000 said:

The option of us cancelling and getting FCC's is not great because we already have FCC's booked against this cruise which we will probably lose, please correct me if Im wrong. 

Just need to get some of these issues sorted so that we can start to look forward to the trip.

We have cancelled cruises booked with FCC and Azamara have been excellent in reinstating them and allowing us to use them on future bookings. It got very confusing as we also had free nights and onboard booking loyalty discounts as well but they were very good at unraveling  the mess and making sure we didn’t miss out. 
Compared with other lines we have bookings with Azamara have been very fair after the initial slow return of our payment for a cancelled March 2020 cruise we have no complaints.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Riocca said:

We have cancelled cruises booked with FCC and Azamara have been excellent in reinstating them and allowing us to use them on future bookings. It got very confusing as we also had free nights and onboard booking loyalty discounts as well but they were very good at unraveling  the mess and making sure we didn’t miss out. 
Compared with other lines we have bookings with Azamara have been very fair after the initial slow return of our payment for a cancelled March 2020 cruise we have no complaints.

Same here, we transferred deposits on a cancelled 2020 cruise onto an already booked 2021 cruise. That one has now been cancelled and we were told we will get an FCC and can use it against our already booked October 2022 cruise. We were told though that we wouldn’t get 125% on the deposit transferred from the 20 cruise to the 21 cruise, just on the deposit we have made on the 21 cruise. Azamara have also transferred our OBC across.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

In case anyone missed it, the UK government has announced that international cruises can restart, so we'll all be covered by insurance from now on. Still testing requirements in place, but no quarantine except for red list countries.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-travel-update-government-waives-quarantine-for-arrivals-fully-vaccinated-from-europe-and-usa-while-also-confirming-international-cruise-restart 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

In case anyone missed it, the UK government has announced that international cruises can restart, so we'll all be covered by insurance from now on. Still testing requirements in place, but no quarantine except for red list countries.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-travel-update-government-waives-quarantine-for-arrivals-fully-vaccinated-from-europe-and-usa-while-also-confirming-international-cruise-restart 

Thanks for posting this piece of good news. It's a task just to keep up to date on it all, but this will give me comfort. 

Phil 

• Like 2

Recevied this from Azamara last night -

looks like they've got it all covered and with no extra charges 🙂

Azamara Guest,

We're writing to share some important details about the experience you can expect on your upcoming Azamara Quest sailing to Greece. We're implementing new health and safety standards with our Explore Well at Sea program to ensure a healthy vacation for guests and crew.

• Important Note: As health protocols evolve, we're committed to sharing updated requirements with you. These protocols are subject to change. Please note, many governments and certain airlines require proof of a negative SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR test no more than three days before entry or flight departure. Please check with your airline, local health authority or government travel agency regarding any requirements they may have when exiting or entering the countries you will visit.
  • Vaccination
    • All guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated in order to sail. To be considered fully vaccinated, the final dose of the vaccine must be completed at least 14 days before sailing. Vaccinated guests must present their original vaccination document issued by the country's health authority or administering healthcare provider as proof of vaccination for COVID-19. Please refer to our FAQs for additional vaccine requirement information.
  • Greece Travel Requirements
    • Travelers arriving in Greece are required to have either a negative PCR certificate from an accredited testing laboratory of their choice, for a COVID-19 test taken no later than 72 hours before arrival or a negative antigen (rapid) certificate taken no longer than 48 hours before arrival. This test is mandatory for all tourists (including children over the age of 12), regardless of the epidemiological situation in the country of departure. Proof of a negative test is not required however for all travelers that have completed their vaccination (i.e., 14 days have elapsed since the last vaccination, depending on the doses required) and hold a vaccination certificate. All costs for this test are the unvaccinated guest's responsibility.
    • All travelers must complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) before entering Greece providing detailed information on their point of departure, the duration of previous stays in other countries, and the address of their stay while in Greece. The PLF can also be found on the Visit Greece app and at travel.gov.gr. It is strongly recommended that all visitors download the Visit Greece app (GDPR compliant) for free, prior their arrival in Greece.
  • Azamara Testing Requirements
    • As a requirement to sail with Azamara, all guests must undergo an antigen test in terminal as described below. Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation and onboard prior to disembarkation will be conducted by licensed and accredited third-party testing providers we have contracted. All Guests must register for this testing and agree to the third-party testing provider terms and conditions. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
      • Testing schedule:
        • At the Terminal: All guests 12 years and older are required to take an antigen test for COVID-19 when checking in at the terminal, which will be administered by one of our testing vendors. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
        • Prior to Disembarking: While onboard, all guests 12 years and older will be required to undergo antigen testing within 24 hours of the end of voyage. This test will be conducted the day before the cruise ends by one of our testing vendors. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test. Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. Arrangements for PCR tests must be made onboard.
  • Going Ashore in Greece
    • Views on independent exploration by international visitors vary by country and by port of call. This remains a very fluid situation and can change on short notice. At present, fully vaccinated guests visiting Athens, Mykonos, Heraklion, Santorini, Rhodes, and Cyprus will be able to go ashore either on an Azamara shore excursion or independently, at their leisure. All guests must follow local health and safety requirements. We offer a variety of curated small-group and private excursions that comply with Azamara's health and safety measures. Our shore excursions are available to book on-line or through one of our Destination Insiders who can create a customized Private Journey for you.
  • Travel Documentation Checklist
    • All guests: Passport books (not cards) are required. Passports must have a validity of at least six months after the sailing's return date. Guests must present their original vaccination document issued by the country's health authority or administering healthcare provider as proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
  • Face Masks and Physical Distancing
    • All guests will be required to wear masks indoors and outdoors, except when eating or drinking, and in ports of call based on local government requirements, which will be provided onboard.
    • Masks are not required in your stateroom when you are with your traveling party, outside on the open decks.
    • You'll find the entire ship and boarding process set up to allow for physical distancing, which is encouraged whenever interacting with those outside of your traveling party.

Please visit www.Azamara.com/ExploreWellGreece for the latest Explore Well at Sea protocols.

If you have questions or concerns that need to be addressed, you are more than welcome to call our special help desk at 1-855-AZAMARA (292-6272), option 3.

Thank you for your understanding. We take great pride in bringing you and every Azamara guest unforgettable experiences both onboard our ships and within our destinations. We can assure you that your future Azamara vacation will deliver the highest standards of service and quality for which we are known.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

AZAMARA

• Like 1

It's pretty clear advice in the email. There's a little confusion, as I read it, on the new webpages relating to this - https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea/explore-well-travel-requirements 

The 'preparing for your cruise' section always makes it clear that a PCR test is not required if you've been double vaccinated. But then you move down to the 'What to expect on boarding' section, and it repeatedly says you need to evidence a PCR test from within 72 hours, without any of the previous qualifiers. 

5 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

It's pretty clear advice in the email. There's a little confusion, as I read it, on the new webpages relating to this - https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea/explore-well-travel-requirements 

The 'preparing for your cruise' section always makes it clear that a PCR test is not required if you've been double vaccinated. But then you move down to the 'What to expect on boarding' section, and it repeatedly says you need to evidence a PCR test from within 72 hours, without any of the previous qualifiers. 

I agree very confusing -read the webpage first and thought it didn't make sense

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wandering Words

The information you received on July 29th included the following sentence:  "Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. Arrangements for PCR tests must be made onboard."

I thought this was good news until I clicked on this link from Azamara:

https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea/explore-well-travel-requirements

Unless I somehow missed it in the Azamara link, Azamara has decided not to provide COVID tests on board for those without COVID symptoms.  In other words, the information you received on July 29th is inconsistent with what appears on the Azamara website.

7 minutes ago, travelordie said:

Unless I somehow missed it in the Azamara link, Azamara has decided not to provide COVID tests on board for those without COVID symptoms.  In other words, the information you received on July 29th is inconsistent with what appears on the Azamara website.

I think you have missed it. That webpage is a mess and has contradictory information in different sections. However, if you scroll right down to the bottom under the 'Getting off the ship' section, it says:

"An antigen test is required for re-entry into Greece. The test will be administered free of charge by our medical staff on board prior to debarkation. Additional home country test requirements will be administered on board free of charge. "

On 7/29/2021 at 12:46 AM, Wandering Words said:

Recevied this from Azamara last night -

looks like they've got it all covered and with no extra charges 🙂

Azamara Guest,

We're writing to share some important details about the experience you can expect on your upcoming Azamara Quest sailing to Greece. We're implementing new health and safety standards with our Explore Well at Sea program to ensure a healthy vacation for guests and crew.

• Important Note: As health protocols evolve, we're committed to sharing updated requirements with you. These protocols are subject to change. Please note, many governments and certain airlines require proof of a negative SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR test no more than three days before entry or flight departure. Please check with your airline, local health authority or government travel agency regarding any requirements they may have when exiting or entering the countries you will visit.
  • Vaccination
    • All guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated in order to sail. To be considered fully vaccinated, the final dose of the vaccine must be completed at least 14 days before sailing. Vaccinated guests must present their original vaccination document issued by the country's health authority or administering healthcare provider as proof of vaccination for COVID-19. Please refer to our FAQs for additional vaccine requirement information.
  • Greece Travel Requirements
    • Travelers arriving in Greece are required to have either a negative PCR certificate from an accredited testing laboratory of their choice, for a COVID-19 test taken no later than 72 hours before arrival or a negative antigen (rapid) certificate taken no longer than 48 hours before arrival. This test is mandatory for all tourists (including children over the age of 12), regardless of the epidemiological situation in the country of departure. Proof of a negative test is not required however for all travelers that have completed their vaccination (i.e., 14 days have elapsed since the last vaccination, depending on the doses required) and hold a vaccination certificate. All costs for this test are the unvaccinated guest's responsibility.
    • All travelers must complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) before entering Greece providing detailed information on their point of departure, the duration of previous stays in other countries, and the address of their stay while in Greece. The PLF can also be found on the Visit Greece app and at travel.gov.gr. It is strongly recommended that all visitors download the Visit Greece app (GDPR compliant) for free, prior their arrival in Greece.
  • Azamara Testing Requirements
    • As a requirement to sail with Azamara, all guests must undergo an antigen test in terminal as described below. Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation and onboard prior to disembarkation will be conducted by licensed and accredited third-party testing providers we have contracted. All Guests must register for this testing and agree to the third-party testing provider terms and conditions. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
      • Testing schedule:
        • At the Terminal: All guests 12 years and older are required to take an antigen test for COVID-19 when checking in at the terminal, which will be administered by one of our testing vendors. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
        • Prior to Disembarking: While onboard, all guests 12 years and older will be required to undergo antigen testing within 24 hours of the end of voyage. This test will be conducted the day before the cruise ends by one of our testing vendors. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test. Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. Arrangements for PCR tests must be made onboard.
  • Going Ashore in Greece
    • Views on independent exploration by international visitors vary by country and by port of call. This remains a very fluid situation and can change on short notice. At present, fully vaccinated guests visiting Athens, Mykonos, Heraklion, Santorini, Rhodes, and Cyprus will be able to go ashore either on an Azamara shore excursion or independently, at their leisure. All guests must follow local health and safety requirements. We offer a variety of curated small-group and private excursions that comply with Azamara's health and safety measures. Our shore excursions are available to book on-line or through one of our Destination Insiders who can create a customized Private Journey for you.
  • Travel Documentation Checklist
    • All guests: Passport books (not cards) are required. Passports must have a validity of at least six months after the sailing's return date. Guests must present their original vaccination document issued by the country's health authority or administering healthcare provider as proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
  • Face Masks and Physical Distancing
    • All guests will be required to wear masks indoors and outdoors, except when eating or drinking, and in ports of call based on local government requirements, which will be provided onboard.
    • Masks are not required in your stateroom when you are with your traveling party, outside on the open decks.
    • You'll find the entire ship and boarding process set up to allow for physical distancing, which is encouraged whenever interacting with those outside of your traveling party.

Please visit www.Azamara.com/ExploreWellGreece for the latest Explore Well at Sea protocols.

If you have questions or concerns that need to be addressed, you are more than welcome to call our special help desk at 1-855-AZAMARA (292-6272), option 3.

Thank you for your understanding. We take great pride in bringing you and every Azamara guest unforgettable experiences both onboard our ships and within our destinations. We can assure you that your future Azamara vacation will deliver the highest standards of service and quality for which we are known.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

AZAMARA

5 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I think you have missed it. That webpage is a mess and has contradictory information in different sections. However, if you scroll right down to the bottom under the 'Getting off the ship' section, it says:

"An antigen test is required for re-entry into Greece. The test will be administered free of charge by our medical staff on board prior to debarkation. Additional home country test requirements will be administered on board free of charge. "

You're right. I did miss it entirely.  Thanks for your excellent observational skills.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, QM2 fan said:

Silverseas are giving UK pax a test onboard before disembarkation, to fit with UK requirements. 

Azamara are also doing this. They confirmed a few weeks ago on their website and to booked guests. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, uktog said:

Azamara are also doing this. They confirmed a few weeks ago on their website and to booked guests. 

We got off  Celebrity Apex (Athens - Athens) about 3 weeks ago. On the day before disembarking we had  a complimentary PCR test done on the ship,  as required by our country. For most of the other guests the Ag test was enough. 

• Like 2