LIVE - Adventure of the Seas - July 17, 2021

20 minutes ago, kearney said:

I think his point was that..if you had to deal with wearing masks...why go to Nassau when you can go through that hassle closer to home.... Are there ships sailing out of other ports not requiring masks as of now (cause we know that could change tomorrow)

Right, it seems the protocols are now pretty much the same for either departure points so why fly to Nassau? Also, from what I've been reading FLL seems to be an easier airport to use, with many more flight choices, than Nassau.

I wonder if RCI will continue home porting a ship in Nassau, with the logistics involved provisioning,  when there seems to be less advantage now in doing so.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I wonder if RCI will continue home porting a ship in Nassau, with the logistics involved provisioning,  when there seems to be less advantage now in doing so.

There's virtually no chance RCI will home port there - this was a one time thing.

Biker, who would not be surprised if RCI pulled Adventure from Nassau early.

Just now, Biker19 said:

There's virtually no chance RCI will home port there - this was a one time thing.

I completely agree. I am not sure why Nassau is investing so much in infrastructure with the port terminal. Do they have some vision of becoming a major cruise hub?

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I completely agree. I am not sure why Nassau is investing so much in infrastructure with the port terminal. Do they have some vision of becoming a major cruise hub?

I believe the improvements were not intended to make it a home port...but improve experience as a cruise stop. As I understand it, the ship is provisioned out of Freeport... so temporary

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Actually when I was on it, I heard RC was contemplating making it a seasonal home port.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Actually when I was on it, I heard RC was contemplating making it a seasonal home port.

Which season, winter high or summer low? It just seems odd as Nassau is not located where unique itineraries can be sailed that can't be done just as easily from PE or Miami.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Which season, winter high or summer low?

If that is the case... could be since Royal is investing..as I heard in a resort hotel in the Bahamas... then perhaps summer... since the port fills up quite a bit during the high season... just a thought... although hurricane threat could make winter more practical.

1 minute ago, kearney said:

If that is the case... could be since Royal is investing..as I heard in a resort hotel in the Bahamas... then perhaps summer... since the port fills up quite a bit during the high season... just a thought... although hurricane threat could make winter more practical.

I think the resort being contemplated is in Freeport. Maybe the ship will depart from Nassau and spend a week going back and forth between Freeport and Coco Cay.🤔

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the resort being contemplated is in Freeport. Maybe the ship will depart from Nassau and spend a week going back and forth between Freeport and Coco Cay.🤔

They could package up resort stay with a 3-4 day cruise to Coco Cay and Nassau. So would a home port in Freeport make more sense? I wonder about air transport Freeport vs Nassau. Kind of a Disney model without the characters and rides

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think you are correct. Our Taxi driver in Freeport said that RCI and Carnival had invested a ton of money around the Freeport port area and are planning to build a large terminal and water park near the port. This is in addition to the resort they are purchasing there. My guess is they are going to create a huge Coco Cay-like resort and playground.

• Like 1

What's so wrong with Nassau being a home port?  Investing in a cruise port, which before restrictions saw like 4-5 ships a day?  Are you all forgetting, Nassau started cruising when the USA did not.  It was an option to get a ship moving.  It was never a "profit" thing.  Ships need about 30-40% occupancy to break even.  It was a psychological thing to show North Americans that a cruise can happen.  It was better to break even, and showcase RCCL than to sit idle.  

Also, why would they cancel remaining cruises?  It is only maybe 5 more weeks?  Mid Sept is the last one.  It was set up for the summer season.  

I'm going on August 28.  Not happy about the mask thing, but you only need to wear it while walking from spot to spot.  Almost everything on the ship is mask free anyway.  It's not like you need to see a show with a mask on, or gamble, or eat.  So it's annoying, but I already went on land vacations, with the same annoyance, and survived.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.  Was there last week on the Edge.  Not a place I ever like to see in the itinerary; stayed on board,  watched 45-50 workers (??...) do what appeared to be about 3 man-days worth of work, and wondered what decade they're hoping to be a major hub/who they're expecting.

As our Taxi driver said, Freeport will be a destination port in the future: 

Royal Caribbean Partners with Holistica for $300 Million Development Project in Freeport, Bahamas

https://cruisefever.net/royal-caribbean-partners-with-holistica-for-300-million-development-project-in-freeport-bahamas/

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/5382-royal-caribbean-purchase-bahamas-grand-lucayan

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

What's so wrong with Nassau being a home port?  Investing in a cruise port, which before restrictions saw like 4-5 ships a day?  Are you all forgetting, Nassau started cruising when the USA did not.  It was an option to get a ship moving.  It was never a "profit" thing.  Ships need about 30-40% occupancy to break even.  It was a psychological thing to show North Americans that a cruise can happen.  It was better to break even, and showcase RCCL than to sit idle.  

Also, why would they cancel remaining cruises?  It is only maybe 5 more weeks?  Mid Sept is the last one.  It was set up for the summer season.  

I'm going on August 28.  Not happy about the mask thing, but you only need to wear it while walking from spot to spot.  Almost everything on the ship is mask free anyway.  It's not like you need to see a show with a mask on, or gamble, or eat.  So it's annoying, but I already went on land vacations, with the same annoyance, and survived.

I agree. Remember all those "hurdles" the CDC was throwing up when cruise lines were trying to restart in the U.S ? I think RCI got tired of the CDC's B.S. and took action and put Adventure of the Seas in Nassau (CDC has no jurisdiction). Funny, after RCI did that, all of a sudden the CDC began "relaxing" their requirements for cruising to restart out of U.S. ports. Then, Celebrity Edge restarted out of PE. Yeah, I think RCI's home porting of Adventure of the Seas is only termporary (this summer) and they will repositiin her to a U.S. port this fall/winter. I thought I heard Galveston, Texas? Also, I think RCI is going to home port Oasis of the Seas in Galveston.

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Right, but that was all before COVID hit. Everything is on hold for quite some time.

We did see a LOT of work happening at the port - dredging of new moorings and such. I wish I had a photo to show.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

We did see a LOT of work happening at the port - dredging of new moorings and such. I wish I had a photo to show.  

Don't think that has anything to do with the RCG project at the Lucayan Resort. In their SEC filings since last year, RCG has said they've postponed all capital intensive projects.

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

As our Taxi driver said, Freeport will be a destination port in the future: 

Royal Caribbean Partners with Holistica for $300 Million Development Project in Freeport, Bahamas

https://cruisefever.net/royal-caribbean-partners-with-holistica-for-300-million-development-project-in-freeport-bahamas/

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/5382-royal-caribbean-purchase-bahamas-grand-lucayan

This deal is not actually finalized yet, but it still has the green light, the one they are building in Nassau is finalized and will open well before the one in Freeport. 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Don't think that has anything to do with the RCG project at the Lucayan Resort. In their SEC filings since last year, RCG has said they've postponed all capital intensive projects.

I am referring to the PORT project, not the Lucayan. There are 2 projects going on with Royal on Freeport. From Posted Article: 

"Royal Caribbean has partnered with Holistica Destinations for a $300 million development project in Freeport, Grand Bahama.  The agreement includes redevelopment of the Freeport cruise ship terminal and a new world-class destination with a one-of-a-kind hotel, convention center, water adventure park and more."