Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

40 minutes ago, bcwife76 said:

Wow, that's actually a concise answer, not just a 'no we have no plans, blah blah blah.'

Nice political response of passing the buck to the feds to resolve....

There are multiple provinces that now allow third doses.   Ontario should do the same, but does not look like they will.... 

Things are changing with the November opening of the US to foreign travellers.   Will be interesting to see what they say about mixed vaccines, specifically AZ/mRNA.  There are many Europeans who have this combination.

Also, now with 3rd doses being approved in the US, this could open up other challenges.  

• Like 3

Just another example of this government's refusal to recognize the realities of COVID that other provinces seem to have no trouble identifying. Perhaps, when they have no choice, they'll finally change their stance as they did with passports. We can only hope.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I think The US will approve AZ/ MRNA vaccine combination in the future as the the USA will be giving away 500 million vaccine to poor nation and AZ is cheaper to make and easier to transport 

The US has already approved AZ for manufacture in the US and for export. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that it's approved for use in the US. And as far as I know, AZ still hasn't submitted its application for FDA emergency use, let alone final approval. It looks increasingly possible that they will focus on production and export, not domestic US sales.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We're looking at a quick trip to Quebec to get the third dose.  A little complicated but possible.

We looked at Quebec as well but could not determine where to get the shot.  Health Qebec requires a Quebec Health Card Number to register through their portal.  If you go to a pharmacy what documentation will you receive to prove vaccination?  Will it be official like the Ontario Ministry of Health?

• Like 1

As I understand it, Quebec will provide 3rd shots to residents of other provinces who own property in Quebec or who are employed in Quebec. The are a good number of Ottawa area residents who meet one or both of these criteria. I don't recall reading about non-residents not meeting this requirements being successful in getting a 3rd shot.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bookbabe said:

He should fly to Buffalo for a weekend, go into any Walmart or drug store and get a booster Pfizer.  Get an antigen at Shoppers pre-flight to get into the US and a Rapid ID Now at Walgreens to get back into Canada.  A bit of a pain, but less painful than cancelling the cruise when he’s the only one of the travel party with issues.

Actually if you fly in and out within a day you can get a PCR test in Canada and use that same test to enter back into Canada. 

• Thanks 1

According to Canada’s website this is stated, so I’m going to try and get one when we visit Mont Tremblant next month by going into a walk-in clinic and asking for a Moderna vaccine, hope it works .  I can also produce my 1st vaccine showing AZ but and not show my 2nd dose page  showing Moderna.  Quebec and Ontario does not share health info so hoping I will get it .  Because vaccines are supplied by the Canadian government not sure how they can turn me down, but we will see

Who is eligible

COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in Canada are free of charge. They'll be available over the course of 2021 to everyone who's recommended to get the vaccine by federal, provincial and territorial public health authorities.

This applies to:

• everyone in Canada, including those who aren't citizens

4 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

According to Canada’s website this is stated, so I’m going to try and get one when we visit Mont Tremblant next month by going into a walk-in clinic and asking for a Moderna vaccine, hope it works .  I can also produce my 1st vaccine showing AZ but and not show my 2nd dose page  showing Moderna.  Quebec and Ontario does not share health info so hoping I will get it .  Because vaccines are supplied by the Canadian government not sure how they can turn me down, but we will see

Who is eligible

COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in Canada are free of charge. They'll be available over the course of 2021 to everyone who's recommended to get the vaccine by federal, provincial and territorial public health authorities.

This applies to:

• everyone in Canada, including those who aren't citizens

First you might want to check to see what proof of vaccination will be provided by Quebec, and what information it will contain. A cruise line looking at two Moderna receipts from two different provinces will question how/why there are two receipts for a second shot of Moderna and ask where the receipt is for the first Moderna shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

First you might want to check to see what proof of vaccination will be provided by Quebec, and what information it will contain. A cruise line looking at two Moderna receipts from two different provinces will question how/why there are two receipts for a second shot of Moderna and ask where the receipt is for the first Moderna shot.

Thanks Celebrity already told me if I get AZ first followed by two Moderna I would be considered fully vaccinated as I would have restarted the vaccine series with an approved FDA vaccine

27 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

Thanks Celebrity already told me if I get AZ first followed by two Moderna I would be considered fully vaccinated as I would have restarted the vaccine series with an approved FDA vaccine

That good news. I hope you have it in writing to show the check in staff who might find two second shots confusing! 

Enjoy your trip to Mont Tremblant, a great time of year to be going! The leaves should be in their prime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, truckswain said:

We looked at Quebec as well but could not determine where to get the shot.  Health Qebec requires a Quebec Health Card Number to register through their portal.  If you go to a pharmacy what documentation will you receive to prove vaccination?  Will it be official like the Ontario Ministry of Health?

We received our two Moderna shots at a pharmacy here in Montreal, in April and June. The only "paperwork" we received from the pharmacy were two dodgy little paper slips filled in by the pharmacist who administered the needles. Just basic info, name date, type of Vaccine. No info on Vaccine code or lot number. I asked her to fill in our yellow vaccination booklets, which she happily did, though she did not posses a stamp like all the other entries in my booklet, so it doesn't look very official. Beyond that nothing else from the pharmacy, not even an email receipt. The two little receipt slips even look completely different. A few weeks after our second shot, after some computer system problems on the government's side, we downloaded our official receipts from the Quebec gvt portal, and those had all the info, with QR code, down to the lot number. A few weeks ago, we were then able to download our vaccine "passport" on a special app called "VacciCode", which we've used a number of times to access restaurants.  No idea whether this would be of any use outside Quebec, as AFAIK you need the corresponding "reader" app to be able to view the info. In the absence of any further intel from any Quebecers who are cruising in the next month or so, we're planning to use paper gvt receipts, with PDF copies on our phones at checkin on November 20 in Port Everglades.

As to residents of other provinces being able to walk in to a clinic or pharmacy and request a third dose, I only know that right now, AFAIK, 3rd doses are only available to immuno-compromised individuals, or those on dialysis. I haven't seen any reference to them being available to non-Quebecers solely for the purposes of travel, though it may be possible. Can't hurt to ask...

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ciren219 said:

We are paid in full for a Sept Alaska cruise. My husband and I both had AstraZeneca and Pfizer. It doesn't matter who changed the rules, if the cruise lines prevent us from sailing, they should refund and not give a FCC. What good is a FCC if they don't change the rules and prevent us for using a FCC?

HI, just wondering....did you get FCC or a refund?

I had mixed doses vaccine (Pfizer and Moderna) but 49 days apart. I checked RCI protocols the 28and 42 days rules not showing if departs from US ports but still applied to sailings out of US ports. I have a February booking departs from Barbados. Does it mean I am not allowed to board? Hope I am wrong or misunderstood something. Please share your inputs. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

I had mixed doses vaccine (Pfizer and Moderna) but 49 days apart. I checked RCI protocols the 28and 42 days rules not showing if departs from US ports but still applied to sailings out of US ports. I have a February booking departs from Barbados. Does it mean I am not allowed to board? Hope I am wrong or misunderstood something. Please share your inputs. Thanks.

Which cruise line ? 

17 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

The essential difference between the US and non-US is that the latter allows mixed doses of AZ and Pfizer or Moderna. That's where the days between doses comes into play. As you have Pfizer and Moderna, which RCI considers acceptable even for US ports as long as the shots are 28 days apart , you should be fine. Just make sure that Barbados accepts this mixed doses combination as well.

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That good news. I hope you have it in writing to show the check in staff who might find two second shots confusing! 

Enjoy your trip to Mont Tremblant, a great time of year to be going! The leaves should be in their prime.

Thanks first time there and we only live 2 1/2 hours away

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The essential difference between the US and non-US is that the latter allows mixed doses of AZ and Pfizer or Moderna. That's where the days between doses comes into play. As you have Pfizer and Moderna, which RCI considers acceptable even for US ports as long as the shots are 28 days apart , you should be fine. Just make sure that Barbados accepts this mixed doses combination as well.

No, the NOT more than 42days still applied, so......😓

Luckily Barbados accepts mixed vaccine without time frame since July 16, 2021

Hope some good news before final payment 

Edited by hellopuppies

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We received our two Moderna shots at a pharmacy here in Montreal, in April and June. The only "paperwork" we received from the pharmacy were two dodgy little paper slips filled in by the pharmacist who administered the needles. Just basic info, name date, type of Vaccine. No info on Vaccine code or lot number. I asked her to fill in our yellow vaccination booklets, which she happily did, though she did not posses a stamp like all the other entries in my booklet, so it doesn't look very official. Beyond that nothing else from the pharmacy, not even an email receipt. The two little receipt slips even look completely different. A few weeks after our second shot, after some computer system problems on the government's side, we downloaded our official receipts from the Quebec gvt portal, and those had all the info, with QR code, down to the lot number. A few weeks ago, we were then able to download our vaccine "passport" on a special app called "VacciCode", which we've used a number of times to access restaurants.  No idea whether this would be of any use outside Quebec, as AFAIK you need the corresponding "reader" app to be able to view the info. In the absence of any further intel from any Quebecers who are cruising in the next month or so, we're planning to use paper gvt receipts, with PDF copies on our phones at checkin on November 20 in Port Everglades.

As to residents of other provinces being able to walk in to a clinic or pharmacy and request a third dose, I only know that right now, AFAIK, 3rd doses are only available to immuno-compromised individuals, or those on dialysis. I haven't seen any reference to them being available to non-Quebecers solely for the purposes of travel, though it may be possible. Can't hurt to ask...

If you require a copy of your vaccine receipts log on to https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/.  All information is shown on official receipt and can be downloaded or printed.  Hope this helps

29 minutes ago, AuntMom said:

If you require a copy of your vaccine receipts log on to https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/.  All information is shown on official receipt and can be downloaded or printed.  Hope this helps

Why would Ontario Health have our vaccine records when we were vaccinated in Montreal, under RAMQ?

14 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

No, the NOT more than 42days still applied, so......😓

Luckily Barbados accepts mixed vaccine without time frame since July 16, 2021

Hope some good news before final payment 

RCI has a more restrictive policy on vaccine requirements for cruises out of the US than it does for cruises out of foreign ports. That is because of the CDC and what vaccines and mixes of vaccines it deems to meet the criteria for being fully vaccinated. The CDC, and consequently RCI, view a Pfizer/Moderna mix to meet the criteria for being fully vaccinated, as long as they were administered more than 28 days apart. Neither the CDC nor RCI has a current 42 day maximum for time between shots for this mix.

For cruises from foreign ports, the CDC criteria aren't in play and RCI can use the less restrictive criteria established by the country in question, including AstraZeneca mixes with either Pfizer or Moderna. Barbados accepts a Pfizer/Moderna mix. 

IMO, you are focussing on the wording and not the underlying logic. In being less restrictive for foreign ports, RCI is not going to impose a new restriction on the Pfizer/Moderna mix that doesn't exist for stricter US cruises. From the outset of COVID, the wording on many of the vaccine and testing elements of the protocols has been very poor. This is just another example in my opinion.  

If I were you, I would would write to RCI and seek written clarification. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what I think or what you think, it's what the check in staff for RCI think.

53 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

RCI has a more restrictive policy on vaccine requirements for cruises out of the US than it does for cruises out of foreign ports. That is because of the CDC and what vaccines and mixes of vaccines it deems to meet the criteria for being fully vaccinated. The CDC, and consequently RCI, view a Pfizer/Moderna mix to meet the criteria for being fully vaccinated, as long as they were administered more than 28 days apart. Neither the CDC nor RCI has a current 42 day maximum for time between shots for this mix.

For cruises from foreign ports, the CDC criteria aren't in play and RCI can use the less restrictive criteria established by the country in question, including AstraZeneca mixes with either Pfizer or Moderna. Barbados accepts a Pfizer/Moderna mix. 

IMO, you are focussing on the wording and not the underlying logic. In being less restrictive for foreign ports, RCI is not going to impose a new restriction on the Pfizer/Moderna mix that doesn't exist for stricter US cruises. From the outset of COVID, the wording on many of the vaccine and testing elements of the protocols has been very poor. This is just another example in my opinion.  

If I were you, I would would write to RCI and seek written clarification. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what I think or what you think, it's what the check in staff for RCI think.

Will do before making final payment. Thanks for your inputs!

• Like 1