Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

19 hours ago, Magicat said:

I'm not plugging any party but just reminding you that there is a Federal Election coming soon.  Just saying....

Ya.....but I have no hope...... I’d like to send my cruise bill to Trudeau! Ford won’t take my calls...yes, I’ve tried!LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Just got off phone....oh boy.....after much....like a ton...of discussing, we were able to push this winter cruise ( lifted and shifted x 2 or maybe 3 times now )to next fall.

You were able to lift and shift? I'm booked on the Celebrity Millennium for Sept 3rd and it's not likely to happen. I wonder if we can lift and shift too except it will be a different itinerary and a one way sailing from or to Vancouver.

• Like 1

I phone Celebrity Cruises today about another issue but asked about my Sept 3rd cruise. I told them I have mixed vaccines to which they said I could not sail. This is how the conversation went:

ME: Since you changed your policy after I paid, I'd like a refund.

CELEBRITY: We are following the CDC guidelines and you are only entitled to a FCC.

ME: So, unless you change your vaccine policy, I can't use the FCC.

CELEBRITY: That's correct.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, 3Shelaghs said:

Ya.....but I have no hope...... I’d like to send my cruise bill to Trudeau! Ford won’t take my calls...yes, I’ve tried!LOL

Trudeau wouldn't know what to do with a bill - he's never had one to pay in his life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Trudeau wouldn't know what to do with a bill - he's never had one to pay in his life.

And the former leader of my party didn't know how to write an insurance broker's exam or pay the bill for private school. Nobody's perfect. 😉 

Edited by DirtyDawg

I read today that the US may have to also start Mixing and Matching with people who took the J&J shot, as it is less effective against the Delta variant.  If that is the actual case, I'm sure the policies will then change again on cruise lines.  There may be some hope.... :-)

• Haha 1

That will help.   I have sent letters to both my MP and MPP and am waiting for a response.   Going to give the government to the end of August to come up with a solution.   I am thinking that I may have to leave the country to get a vaccine in September.  Does anyone have any experience doing that and then uploading the results into the Ontario health system?

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

up with a solution.   I am thinking that I may have to leave the country to get a vaccine in September

1. There is precedent with some Ontario residents having been given 3 vaccines so no apparent health problem.

2. Could you present your Ontario record for the applicable vaccine and the other country’s (US?) matching vaccine for the second?

I do think it is a shame that you were put in this situation.

It seems as though this situation is going to change daily.  Celebrity is already changing their position on the mixing with AZ, but only for cruises out of Southhampton. Note that this is updated in the US site not the Canadian site for Celebrity. Found in the FAQ it says:

Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore.  

10 hours ago, Ciren219 said:

I phone Celebrity Cruises today about another issue but asked about my Sept 3rd cruise. I told them I have mixed vaccines to which they said I could not sail. This is how the conversation went:

ME: Since you changed your policy after I paid, I'd like a refund.

CELEBRITY: We are following the CDC guidelines and you are only entitled to a FCC.

ME: So, unless you change your vaccine policy, I can't use the FCC.

CELEBRITY: That's correct.

You need to escalate your situation.

Ask for the resolutions department and be firm.

I also emailed celebritycvpexecutive@celebrity.com and explained the situation.Turn around for a reply was 1 business day.

I had the same answer when I originally contacted Celebrity and the reps are giving everyone the same generic answers to all.

In the end I was fully refunded.

That will help.   I have sent letters to both my MP and MPP and am waiting for a response.   Going to give the government to the end of August to come up with a solution.   I am thinking that I may have to leave the country to get a vaccine in September.  Does anyone have any experience doing that and then uploading the results into the Ontario health system?

My neighbour went over to the US to get her second shot.  But she has dual citizenship.  She said it was $20. My concern - my first shot was Pfizer on May 12.  Second shot July 9 with Moderna.  So my best bet would be to get a second shot of Moderna.  But will it be too long between shots if I go in September when the border opens that even though I've subjected myself to 3 vaccinations I STILL won't be considered vaccinated...  My husband and I are open to this but my father who's older with some health problems is hesitant for obvious reasons.  On top of the fact that we are already fully vaccinated so this is all even ridiculous to think about.

1 minute ago, MaddyandMax said:

My neighbour went over to the US to get her second shot.  But she has dual citizenship.  She said it was $20. My concern - my first shot was Pfizer on May 12.  Second shot July 9 with Moderna.  So my best bet would be to get a second shot of Moderna.  But will it be too long between shots if I go in September when the border opens that even though I've subjected myself to 3 vaccinations I STILL won't be considered vaccinated...  My husband and I are open to this but my father who's older with some health problems is hesitant for obvious reasons.  On top of the fact that we are already fully vaccinated so this is all even ridiculous to think about.

Yes,  I was thinking the same, which was why I was thinking of j&j.   Get one dose down there and that would appease the americans and anyone else that won't accept a mixed vaccine.   That way you dont have to worry about time between vaccines.   The only downside is whether the us card issued will be sufficient for entry on cruising.  Also, there is speculation around the j&j may need a booster.   Thats why I was thinking to take a trip in september to get vaccinated.  My cruises arent until November, so in no immediate rush.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Any combination of mRNA vaccines is acceptable to the CDC. You do not have to contemplate getting another shot for cruising or entering the US.

At the moment, only Az with an mRNA is not accepted as fully vaccinated when cruising out of the US.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

Any combination of mRNA vaccines is acceptable to the CDC. You do not have to contemplate getting another shot for cruising or entering the US.

At the moment, only Az with an mRNA is not accepted as fully vaccinated when cruising out of the US.

This is unfortunately incorrect.  All cruise lines are not accepting ANY mix.  Celebrity on their website says that they are accepting mRNA mixtures but further in this thread, or one of the others, someone called Celebrity just yesterday and they told them that policy is incorrect or not in affect. 

My cruise is for October 24 so I've got my fingers crossed.  I suspect though this may stay in affect until after the CSO expires on November 1.

11 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

This is unfortunately incorrect.  All cruise lines are not accepting ANY mix.  Celebrity on their website says that they are accepting mRNA mixtures but further in this thread, or one of the others, someone called Celebrity just yesterday and they told them that policy is incorrect or not in affect. 

My cruise is for October 24 so I've got my fingers crossed.  I suspect though this may stay in affect until after the CSO expires on November 1.

From the Celebrity Healthy at Sea FAQ (underline is mine)

"Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. "

58 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Before I got more needles in your arm I would talk to X directly.

Getting important information from a BB on the internet is usually not a great idea. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Before I got more needles in your arm I would talk to X directly.

Getting important information from a BB on the internet is usually not a great idea. 

I know a few Canadians who have gone this route, as I said.  But I would 100% only do it if knew it would recognized by the world.  I'm hoping some sense of world-wide community steps in and every nation's vaccine regime will be accepted in the coming months.  This would only be a last ditch effort.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

From the Celebrity Healthy at Sea FAQ (underline is mine)

"Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

Following CDC guidelines, Celebrity will consider a guest fully vaccinated with proof of vaccination that can include mixed doses of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines. Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, or Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens can have mixed doses that include AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose within 8-12 weeks. No other mixed vaccine doses will be accepted. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. "

As I said, I know exactly what Celebrity's FAQs say.  But as others have pointed out, despite what you posted being on their site most of this week, people who have called them, even just yesterday, were told their vaccines will not be accepted and the policy is either incorrect or not in affect.  I have no idea why they have a policy listed that they are not following.  But that's who different discussion LOL

3 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

You need to escalate your situation.

Ask for the resolutions department and be firm.

I also emailed celebritycvpexecutive@celebrity.com and explained the situation. Turn around for a reply was 1 business day.

I had the same answer when I originally contacted Celebrity and the reps are giving everyone the same generic answers to all.

In the end I was fully refunded.

I don't want to escalate this yet. I'm hoping (although not too hopeful) that the vaccine policy will change in the next few weeks and we can cruise.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

I know a few Canadians who have gone this route, as I said.  But I would 100% only do it if knew it would recognized by the world.  I'm hoping some sense of world-wide community steps in and every nation's vaccine regime will be accepted in the coming months.  This would only be a last ditch effort.

I agree.  This would be the last thing I would want to do.  The reason why I would do j&J over Pfizer(I had AZ and PFizer), is that I am not sure what would happen if I showed a vaccine using the canadian health services - Pfizer #1, and then a vaccine from some other country, being vaccine #2.   If I got the J&J, I would have two options;  just show the j&J, or the AZ/Pfizer combo.

I hate to do this as it takes a vaccine away from someone else.  However, it is our government that needlessly put us into this situation.   Will see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

As I said, I know exactly what Celebrity's FAQs say.  But as others have pointed out, despite what you posted being on their site most of this week, people who have called them, even just yesterday, were told their vaccines will not be accepted and the policy is either incorrect or not in affect.  I have no idea why they have a policy listed that they are not following.  But that's who different discussion LOL

I don't know why people would trust call center answers over written answers. Especially since the written answer conforms to the CDC guidance and the policy of every other major cruise line.

I guess you will have to call every day until the call center updates its material. 😞  

Edited by broberts

However, it is our government that needlessly put us into this situation.  

Needlessly?  You're well protected against contracting Covid or having a serious bout of illness if you do but the more important thing is that the health authorities ought to have foreseen the vaccination situation for cruises out of the US?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Needlessly?  You're well protected against contracting Covid or having a serious bout of illness if you do but the more important thing is that the health authorities ought to have foreseen the vaccination situation for cruises out of the US?

You said that so much better than I could. 👍