Italy officially bans cruise ships from Venice effective August 1st

kazu

Yes, Jacqui, it was bound to happen.  Venice and its fragile infra-structure cannot support large numbers of huge ships and that number of visitors ongoing.  These mostly very large ships put huge strain on the buildings, infrastructure, pilings and the narrow Giudecca canal.  We will gladly fly into Venice to visit and then go to the port nearby to pick up the ship.  I would like our children and future generations to be able to visit this beautiful and magical place and to see it without accerlerated degredation.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ski ww said:

What will happen or what other port is there & where is it for itineraries that include a stop in Venice  

I know one potential port would be Ravenna.  I don’t think Venice’s  big industrial port is ready yet to handle cruise ships.  That will eventually be where the ships will have to go IIRC.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Jacqui.  Our Sept-Oct. itinerary has us in Venice twice and ending there...waiting to hear what will happen now.

It will be interesting!  We were booked on the Greece Cruise ending in Venice on the 12th but cancelled after finding out our Nephew is getting Married (postponed twice due to Covid).  We switched over to AK because we were so anxious to get back Onboard.

Just now, Sir PMP said:

Great, Dubrovnik will be next, no place to go to for the big ships..

The ship limit is 25,000 tons.  All of HAL’s ships are more than that so it’s not just the BIG ships that are banned.

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

The ship limit is 25,000 tons.  All of HAL’s ships are more than that so it’s not just the BIG ships that are banned.

But now they will prepare the industrial port of Maghera for the big boys, which means a bus to Piazzale Roma to see Venice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

I just checked that the Ritz Carlton yacht is 1500 tons too large. I can’t find info on the gross tons of S.S. La Venezia: Uniworld Riverboat.

As for alternate ports, the cruise ships are using Ravenna and Trieste.

29 minutes ago, Storylady said:

I just checked that the Ritz Carlton yacht is 1500 tons too large. I can’t find info on the gross tons of S.S. La Venezia: Uniworld Riverboat.

Thanks, I couldn’t remember the other one.

Ravenna is worth exploring all on it’s own IMO.  Beautiful mosaics.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

But now they will prepare the industrial port of Maghera for the big boys, which means a bus to Piazzale Roma to see Venice.

Considering the Maghera is also located in the Venice Lagoon, not sure if it is a suitable port, or if it will need to be a port actually outside of the Venice Lagoon.

57 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Gross tonnage of Venezia is about 1500.

48 minutes ago, albingirl said:

This changes things for many of us.  We've had 3 cruises canceled, had ship switches, and now this.  We will see what's next.

Exactly.  Frustrating for passengers and for the cruise industry.  It’s like 2 steps forward and 3 back.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

So maybe that recent post about HAL showing Ravenna instead of Venice,  was preplanning.  
here goes another change for next year, new ship, new embarkation,  maybe a whole new cruise?  

The same thought crossed my mind.

• Like 1