Venice 11/9/2021

jgd3rdbcfd

1 hour ago, TFree said:

It looks as if we will be on the second cruise on Oceania this year that includes Venice.  (The previous cruise, Lisbon to Venice, October 4 to 16, will be the first one.)  So they have a little bit of time yet to figure this out.  But I wish that they would get some information out to passengers soon, so that we can try to make arrangements accordingly.

Tom & Judy

I'm hoping that since we booked our airfare through Oceania, that will give us some protection.

Now it my passport would just get here . . .

27 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I'm hoping that since we booked our airfare through Oceania, that will give us some protection.

Routine passport processing can take up to 18 week, including mail time.  12 weeks for the processing only.  Sigh.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/passports/passport-covid-19.html

I feel like a bouncing ball.  Just looked at my booking which indicated that FINAL PAYMENT is due August 11.  I called OC on Tuesday (?) and was told that final was Sep 11.  Today I was told final in AUGUST 11 - no change!

3 hours ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

I feel like a bouncing ball.  Just looked at my booking which indicated that FINAL PAYMENT is due August 11.  I called OC on Tuesday (?) and was told that final was Sep 11.  Today I was told final in AUGUST 11 - no change!

Another example of agents giving incorrect information! Hopefully our final payment date will be pushed out before 11th August.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:39 PM, jgd3rdbcfd said:

Just a thought.  What if Covid spread continues and Italy 'closes' the country or make for mandatory masks; what happens to our cruise since we have 5 stops in Italy?

Same concerns! 

On 7/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, Woodrowst said:

So tonnage refers to the amount of square footage on a ship, not how heavy it is.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:37 PM, SEASwim said:

Yes, the article should probably have said "displace more than" rather than "heavier than."

Neither is correct.  Tonnage refers to cubic footage, volume, not square footage.  And, displacement is the same as the amount the ship weighs, as it is the volume of water displaced by the weight of the ship.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, Redtravel said:

Venice depends on tourism. It’s their major business.  With a ban on ships, cruises may find more tourist friendly ports.  Best way to see Venice is to stay there, not a cruise stop.  At night after the tourists leave, Venice is amazing. 

According to World Tourism and Travel, only 11% of Venice's GDP comes from tourism.  Remember, Venice includes areas on the mainland, and these areas have serious heavy industry (shipbuilding, biofuel refining, oil terminal, cargo terminal, construction, etc).

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Neither is correct.  Tonnage refers to cubic footage, volume, not square footage.  And, displacement is the same as the amount the ship weighs, as it is the volume of water displaced by the weight of the ship.

How do you convert a measure of volume into a unit of weight?

I called Oceania this morning to see if they could say anything about our October 16 departure from Venice and what they are going to do about Venice.  They told me that management is aware of the problem, and they have not released any information yet.  When they do, they will be notifying passengers, travel agents, and the telephone agents what will be happening.  No estimate on when this information might be released.  This is, I suppose, an improvement over the previous calls people have reported where Oceania's agents seemed to be unaware of the problem altogether.

Tom & Judy

• Like 2

I am sure they are working it hard because long before we get there on Riviera, Marina has a port call and a cruise swap on October 16 and we have friends on that trip. They will have a solution soon. 
Gerry  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SEASwim said:

I guess we could get into a discussion of the various "ton" measurements used for ships but we will leave that to the true mariners who are active on the board.  For the purposes of cruise lovers the new Venice rules mean that none of Oceania's ships are able to cruise into Venice via the Giudecca Canal (the normal route which most of us love).

Hank

10 hours ago, SEASwim said:

I'll try this again, it got lost somewhere when I did it earlier.  Gross tonnage refers to volume.  In it's old form, Gross Registered Tonnage, each "ton" was 100 cubic feet.  This was derived from an old English measurement of a large shipping barrel, or "tun".  Now, Gross Tonnage (GRT is no longer used) is a unitless number that is an approximation of the total interior volume of the ship.  Displacement is the volume of water that the ship displaces (the volume of the ship below the waterline.  So, if you measure the cubic meters of the ship that are below the waterline, and multiply by the density of water (1.000 for fresh water), you get the actual weight of the ship.  So, Gross Tonnage and Displacement Tonnage are never equal, and are not in any way related to each other.

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll try this again, it got lost somewhere when I did it earlier.  Gross tonnage refers to volume.  In it's old form, Gross Registered Tonnage, each "ton" was 100 cubic feet.  This was derived from an old English measurement of a large shipping barrel, or "tun".  Now, Gross Tonnage (GRT is no longer used) is a unitless number that is an approximation of the total interior volume of the ship.  Displacement is the volume of water that the ship displaces (the volume of the ship below the waterline.  So, if you measure the cubic meters of the ship that are below the waterline, and multiply by the density of water (1.000 for fresh water), you get the actual weight of the ship.  So, Gross Tonnage and Displacement Tonnage are never equal, and are not in any way related to each other.

Chengkp75, I always appreciate your contribution to the discussion!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Gross tonnage refers to volume.  In it's old form, Gross Registered Tonnage, each "ton" was 100 cubic feet.  This was derived from an old English measurement of a large shipping barrel, or "tun".  

Thanks for the explanation. I was definitely confused why they'd use tonnage for a measure of volume! 

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll try this again, it got lost somewhere when I did it earlier.  Gross tonnage refers to volume.  In it's old form, Gross Registered Tonnage, each "ton" was 100 cubic feet.  This was derived from an old English measurement of a large shipping barrel, or "tun".

Have to love the long tail of some old measures.  The word 'buttload' isn't scatalogical, but derives from the old measure called a 'butt' – which is half a 'tun.'  [Or it may derive from a type of heavy cart, which makes more sense in the context of 'load' – but I prefer the resonance to the present discussion!]

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/buttload

English_wine_cask_units.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, patty1955 said:

Same here. We decided to stick with Oceania for all of travel arrangements for protections. Crossing our fingers!

19 minutes ago, Earl Rosebery said:

Looks like Venice isn’t going to be much fun anymore. 2 hr bus ride to get there from port!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/02/world/europe/italy-venice-tourism-cruise-ships.html?smid=url-share  

Luckily many itineraries embark and disembark there so able to spend quality time in Venice before and after cruise....much like ports for Rome and others that invovlve a bus ride to reach the city.

18 minutes ago, basor said:

Luckily many itineraries embark and disembark there so able to spend quality time in Venice before and after cruise...

Unfortunately some cruises (April 2022 - Marina) spend two days in Venice. Originally that made this cruise very attractive. Now - not so much.

27 minutes ago, basor said:

Luckily many itineraries embark and disembark there so able to spend quality time in Venice before and after cruise....much like ports for Rome and others that invovlve a bus ride to reach the city.

Also, if you have a cruise coming up in October and you still need to book a flight... it would just be nice to know where you are ending your cruise so you can make appropriate plans to fly to your next stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clairol said:

Also, if you have a cruise coming up in October and you still need to book a flight... it would just be nice to know where you are ending your cruise so you can make appropriate plans to fly to your next stop.

Or you might want to change hotels if you're flying in before your cruise starts this October. 

• Like 1

Yes, we are on the October 16 cruise out of Venice on the Marina.  I wish they would let us know what is happening.  I assume that they are still working on a solution, but it would be nice to get some information from Oceania.  As @patty1955 said, it has a bearing on where to stay the night before the cruise.  Beyond that, if they might end up cancelling the cruise, it would be nice to know about that in time to possibly make other tourist plans.  (My airfare is already purchased, and not through Oceania.)

Tom & Judy