Venice bans ship of 25,000+ tonnes - Windstar is ok sized

MNgardens

On the Azamara board the news was posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-italy-legislate-keep-liners-out-venice-lagoon-sources-2021-07-13/

ROME, July 13 (Reuters) - Italy on Tuesday banned cruise liners from Venice lagoon to defend its ecosystem and heritage, moving to end years of hesitation and putting the demands of residents and culture bodies above those of the tourist industry.

The government decided to act after the United Nations culture organisation UNESCO threatened to put Italy on a blacklist for not banning liners from the World Heritage site, cabinet sources said.

The ban will take effect from Aug. 1, barring ships weighing more than 25,000 tonnes from the shallow Giudecca Canal that leads past Piazza San Marco, the city's most famous landmark....

This is much smaller tonnage than had previously been discussed. The Azamara ships will not make the cut off at 30,000 tonnes and 650ish passengers. The Windstar ships will be fine.

I don't know if the ban will hold but it is a good move for Venice and the ecology of the lagoon.

• Like 2

Good for Venice. I love Venice and the ecological issues it encounters is tragic given that it is one of the world's jewels that is sinking. We have to look at the bigger picture and that is not, in my opinion, these huge cruise ships putting Venice more in harms way. I love WS but for the greater good if it does not fit it does not fit however the Venetian authorities measure , if it fits happy passengers.  Happy Sailing