Regarding specialty restaurants......

southernshug

No, with the exception of a limited number of items that are marked as an additional charge, the cover charge (or gratis dinner as part of the “Have it all” promotion) covers all three courses. Drinks / wine are also at extra charge- unless you have and use a beverage plan.

25 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Perfect and thank u so much!!!! We've never done a specialty restaurant before. Do u know if they do anything special for bdays, if I let them know maybe a day before? I'm trying to set up a few surprises for him!!!!

Most likely they will bring a cake to the table if you let them know. 🙂  And sing Happy Birthday too. 🙂  

18 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Perfect and thank u so much!!!! We've never done a specialty restaurant before. Do u know if they do anything special for bdays, if I let them know maybe a day before? I'm trying to set up a few surprises for him!!!!

You should get a candle in whatever desert you order or they might even bake you a small cake.  Bring a Ziploc bag to dinner.  You will receive a tray of chocolates at the end of dinner and it would be a shame to not take all of them back to your room.

Try the King Crab legs:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_3446.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Oh that sounds wonderful!!!! I've gotten us a Neptune Suite and he has no idea!!! I love surprises!!!! 😉

The Neptune Lounge can arrange to have a private dinner from the MDR menu delivered and served course by course in your suite.  White table cloth and all.  It can include a cake for certain. 

Edited by Crew News

Just now, Crew News said:

The Neptune Lounge can arrange to have a private dinner from the MDR menu delivered and served course by course in your suite.  White table cloth and all.  It include a cake for certain. 

Oh my goodness......I didn't know that was an option!!!! Hmmmm.......decisions,  decisions  🙂 I think I'm gonna like HAL!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Oh my goodness......I didn't know that was an option!!!! Hmmmm.......decisions,  decisions  🙂 I think I'm gonna like HAL!

You can have that special dinner every night, even served on your balcony.  Just tell the Concierge when and your choice from the MDR menu (copy available each day in the Neptune Lounge).

For your Neptune Suite daily appetizer, I highly recommend the chicken wings (even if they are not on the appetizer list, you will get them).  Eat most of them and save a few for a nighttime snack.  I also recommend the shrimp tempura and skewers.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

You can have that special dinner every night, even served on your balcony.  Just tell the Concierge when and your choice from the MDR menu (copy available each day in the Neptune Lounge).

For your Neptune Suite daily appetizer, I highly recommend the chicken wings (even if they are not on the appetizer list, you will get them).  Eat most of them and save a few for a nighttime snack.  I also recommend the shrimp tempura and skewers.

Sounds delicious!

I am going to add a note of caution to Crews News overly exuberant posts about in room dining in the Neptune Suite.  The table is not that big and is not easily done for dining. You can certainly eat on it but it doesn’t have the  same niceties of the MDR or specialty dining.  Now, if it were a Pinnacle Suite, that would be a different story.  that is done with the flair of the dining room.  JMO.

We rarely eat dinner ever in our cabin and have had several NS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kazu said:

I am going to add a note of caution to Crews News overly exuberant posts about in room dining in the Neptune Suite.  The table is not that big and is not easily done for dining. You can certainly eat on it but it doesn’t have the  same niceties of the MDR or specialty dining.  Now, if it were a Pinnacle Suite, that would be a different story.  that is done with the flair of the dining room.  JMO.

We rarely eat dinner ever in our cabin and have had several NS.

Good to know! We've never had a neptune nor have we ever been on HAL. This is also only our 2nd cruise! Lol. I think it's gonna be great no matter where we go! 😉

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Good to know! We've never had a neptune nor have we ever been on HAL. This is also only our 2nd cruise! Lol. I think it's gonna be great no matter where we go! 😉

You will love the Neptune Suite space and the Neptune Lounge has some nice munchies, fresh squeezed oj in the morning, great coffee machine & the same teas as the Pinnacle Grill.  👍 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

You will love the Neptune Suite space and the Neptune Lounge has some nice munchies, fresh squeezed oj in the morning, great coffee machine & the same teas as the Pinnacle Grill.  👍 

Hubby is the coffee drinker but I love tea. I was wondering if I should take some along, just in case? 

14 hours ago, GoHoward said:

Drinks / wine are also at extra charge- unless you have and use a beverage plan.

I don't think there are any wines in the Pinnacle Grill that fall under the standard beverage pkg.

21 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Hubby is the coffee drinker but I love tea. I was wondering if I should take some along, just in case? 

In case of what?  There's a pretty wide selection available in the MDR and Neptune Lounge.

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

In case of what?  There's a pretty wide selection available in the MDR and Neptune Lounge.

I didn't know if they had tea varieties or if it was just iced tea. Figured I could bring my own if that was the case. I like earl grey

14 hours ago, southernshug said:

14 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Most likely they will bring a cake to the table if you let them know. 🙂  And sing Happy Birthday too. 🙂  

And if you don't let them know and they find out they get mildly upset. It seems they enjoy their part in the birthday celebration.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, southernshug said:

I didn't know if they had tea varieties or if it was just iced tea. Figured I could bring my own if that was the case. I like earl grey

1 hour ago, southernshug said:

Earl Gray tea is available in the Neptune Lounge, Specialty restaurants, as well as the Lido Market:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam---Lido-Restaurant/IMG_0323-Large.jpg

Here is a link to my photo review of the Nieuw Amsterdam that includes staterooms, snacks in the Neptune Lounge, all dining venues, bars, etc:

:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

• Like 1

In all my cruises I have never heard a “specialty”restaurant wait staff sing Happy Birthday. Only in the Main Dining room and they truly seem to enjoy doing it.

Maybe there have been exceptions but I don’t believe I have heard it.

Nice cake in specialty restaurants but usually an overkill as it’s hard not having one of the great desserts on the menu.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southernshug said:

The teas in the Neptune Lounge are really nice.  I prefer them to the ones in the Lido/MDR but there is plenty of tea and Earl Grey.

Your husband will enjoy the coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge.  It makes some pretty good different kinds of coffees.

There’s also a machine in your Neptune Suite but I prefer the machine in the Neptune Lounge.