UK...... A question on Insurance and non UK only cruises.

les37b

21 minutes ago, les37b said:

That was absolutely the response I got too, so I cancelled the booking and moved to a later date where hopefully they remove the FCO. 

Viking Venus left Malta yesterday with 167 guests (and 400 crew) on a ship which can hold 930. The 24 July sailing could be with even less as I'm told the majority booked are from the UK. I've seen comments saying Staysure will cover (so hope they got that in writing) but I was verbally told by them after a long wait they cannot cover.

I rather suspect the sailings to date slipped under the radar for insurance and the FCO in place, but they certainly know about in now. If Boris removes that caveat, I'd happily rebook for next week. Watch this space for Mon 19th and the next bunch of announcements I guess.

I forgot to mention that Seabourn announced yesterday that UK passport holders are banned (strong word I know!) from Seabourn's next cruises until at least 1st August.We have been looking at early September.  

If Seabourn keeps us banned, we're happy to give Silversea another try after a decade away, but will not sail with no insurance. 

Edited by Isklaar
Removed reference to Viking

35 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I forgot to mention that Seabourn announced yesterday that UK passport holders are banned (strong word I know!) from Seabourn's next cruises until at least 1st August.We have been looking at early September.  

If Seabourn keeps us banned, we're happy to give Silversea another try after a decade away, but will not sail with no insurance. 

Wow. That sounds like discrimination and the type of language the French President has been using regarding Brexit!

So a UK passport holder living in Spain cant travel on a Spanish only waters cruise? I had a look on the Seabourn website and cant see anything. Covid related / the International waters thing or unknown?

5 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Have you now received in writing from Staysure that an international  cruise is covered despite FCO advisory against all international cruises? 

I have attempted to get a definitive response on this from Staysure and have had no luck up to now. A couple of posters on the Seabourn board have been told by Staysure that they will be covered, but I was told no on two occasions.

I've been unable to get such an assurance from any other UK insurer who all gave me a straight 'we won't cover until FCO advice is changed'. 

No, they've added the note to our quote meantime but we won't need StaySure policy if the FCDO change their stance, as our UK Insurance (through Nationwide BS) would become valid. If the FCDO advisory is still in place 2 or 3 weeks before the cruise, we'll go back to StaySure as we won't be travelling without insurance. 

Edited by Cruiser6270
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, les37b said:

Wow. That sounds like discrimination and the type of language the French President has been using regarding Brexit!

So a UK passport holder living in Spain cant travel on a Spanish only waters cruise? I had a look on the Seabourn website and cant see anything. Covid related / the International waters thing or unknown?

Hopefully it will only be until 1st August, and apparently the decision has been taken as Seabourn's legal team has reviewed  and considered the implications of the FCDO advisory. So not directly related to actual Covid rates. 

('Banned' was my own word by the way, I'm sure Seabourn actually used a more diplomatic approach in its announcement yesterday!)

1 minute ago, Isklaar said:

Hopefully it will only be until 1st August, and apparently the decision has been taken as Seabourn's legal team has reviewed  and considered the implications of the FCDO advisory. So not directly related to actual Covid rates. 

('Banned' was my own word by the way, I'm sure Seabourn actually used a more diplomatic approach in its announcement yesterday!)

haha....  well that's ok then. It did sound a but harsh! When speaking to Viking, they suggested they expected the FCO to be removed by Mid August. I'm hoping its Monday the 19th so I can rebook the 24th July!

2 minutes ago, Cruiser6270 said:

No, they've added the note to our quote meantime but we won't need StaySure policy if the FCDO change their stance, as our UK Insurance (through Nationwide BS) would become valid. If the FCDO advisory remains, we'll go back to StaySure as we won't be travelling without insurance. 

I've just had written confirmation from Staysure's Underwriters that they will not cover any international cruises as long the FCDO's advice is in place.

13 minutes ago, les37b said:

haha....  well that's ok then. It did sound a but harsh! When speaking to Viking, they suggested they expected the FCO to be removed by Mid August. I'm hoping its Monday the 19th so I can rebook the 24th July!

Monday would be great! I would go ahead with Silver Moon unless SB immediately confirmed that it too had changed its stance.

I suspect Viking may be correct though, mid August more likely.

2 minutes ago, Philandher said:

I've just had written confirmation from Staysure's Underwriters that they will not cover any international cruises as long the FCDO's advice is in place.

Sorry to read this.

It's so disappointing. It's exactly in line with what they told me. And several other insurers I tried too.

So Viking have now removed all their July sailings from their UK website (the US site still shows them). This must definitely be because of this UK FCO advisory which will affect all CL UK guests have booked.

Such a great shame. Viking told me they expected it to be lifted mid August ..... Hopefully sooner. If Amber countries are now deemed safe to not need to quarantine on return if vaccinated after going where you want and mixing with anyone, then it's crazy you can't travel on a cruise ship with all the safety measures in place.

Fingers crossed there is a change soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Philandher said:

Frightening that we've been told the opposite from same company. In fact, it's scandalous. Think, I'll press for the written confirmation now and see what happens 🙂

1 hour ago, Cruiser6270 said:

Frightening that we've been told the opposite from same company. In fact, it's scandalous. Think, I'll press for the written confirmation now and see what happens 🙂

That should always be demanded. The person you spoke to may well have said what he had with good intentions, but if you had to make a claim......

5 hours ago, les37b said:

That should always be demanded. The person you spoke to may well have said what he had with good intentions, but if you had to make a claim......

I've just experienced the same thing again this morning with Staysure. Initially the agent was happy to provide cover for a Greek Isles cruise, in fact she said I was the 2nd person this morning to request a similar policy! When I queried about the FCDO international cruising advice, she quickly backtracked and told me they couldn't provide any cover against that advice. Hopefully everybody out there already won't need to use their insurance.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, Isklaar said:

Just picking up on this post and the suggested date. I've just read elsewhere, that the committee to discuss this sit on Saturday 31 July. So ties in nicely. It will have Cruise Line representatives to put their cases which I really hope the crazy amber ok / cruise not, is overturned for the good.

Knowing (and I'm taking this at face value) that CL are likely to push their own safety protocols - of which none I think are as comprehensive as Viking, will make this difficult. I would prefer CL to match their standards - though I'm not keen on bubble excursions. For Malta for example, ship arrivals and tours are very strict. Obviously we would all like to DIY tour and arrive and depart when we like, but if they have to give concessions to remove that advisory, I hope that happens. I rather expect the advisory could well be split with Med and Northern Europe cruises allowed, but rest of the world not - and CL being on board with this to allow UK guest to partake. I can't see it changing with a mixture of CL compliance. I don't see it as "UK demands" particularly as cruise travel is an international mix so CL must be comfortable with it all.

All speculation of course. It really is a minefield. My preference would be a Spins Moon experience, which sounded nearer to normality (apart from B2B change day) regarding arrivals and DIY tours. But if that's not possible, then I'm more than happy with the more restrictive (and safer IMHO) approach from Viking with PCR tests every day and bubble tours. I just want to cruise again! lol

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Just picking up on this post and the suggested date. I've just read elsewhere, that the committee to discuss this sit on Saturday 31 July. So ties in nicely. It will have Cruise Line representatives to put their cases which I really hope the crazy amber ok / cruise not, is overturned for the good.

Knowing (and I'm taking this at face value) that CL are likely to push their own safety protocols - of which none I think are as comprehensive as Viking, will make this difficult. I would prefer CL to match their standards - though I'm not keen on bubble excursions. For Malta for example, ship arrivals and tours are very strict. Obviously we would all like to DIY tour and arrive and depart when we like, but if they have to give concessions to remove that advisory, I hope that happens. I rather expect the advisory could well be split with Med and Northern Europe cruises allowed, but rest of the world not - and CL being on board with this to allow UK guest to partake. I can't see it changing with a mixture of CL compliance. I don't see it as "UK demands" particularly as cruise travel is an international mix so CL must be comfortable with it all.

All speculation of course. It really is a minefield. My preference would be a Spins Moon experience, which sounded nearer to normality (apart from B2B change day) regarding arrivals and DIY tours. But if that's not possible, then I'm more than happy with the more restrictive (and safer IMHO) approach from Viking with PCR tests every day and bubble tours. I just want to cruise again! lol

I'd be interested to know where you found the information regarding the 31st July meeting?

I have also seen 31July mentioned too, but can't find the web page now. 🙄 It was in a government  document setting out a timetable for review dates. 

I read the thread about the Iceland cruise on the Viking board over the weekend and must admit that even though  Viking handled it very well, I'm now feeling a bit more cautious about getting on any cruise.  

Concerns about travel insurance and inconsistency in responses from insurers about cover are not helping! 

The FCO FCDO cruise advice page has not been updated since April but the advice against travel to amber list countries (Greece included) was removed today.

We travel on 28th and we are not going to cancel. If the meeting occurs whilst we are away that’s progress of sorts 🙄

I found the government document I referred to, with the staging dates.

Section 32 covers cruise travel, domestic and international. It refers to cruises from the UK but I think it may be a reliable guide to what dates FCDO  may or may not update.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/977446/Report-of-the-Global-Travel-Taskforce-accessible.pdf

Edited by Isklaar

32 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I found the government document I referred to, with the staging dates.

Section 32 covers cruise travel, domestic and international. It refers to cruises from the UK but I think it may be a reliable guide to what dates FCDO  may or may not update.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/977446/Report-of-the-Global-Travel-Taskforce-accessible.pdf

The first checkpoint on 28 June didn’t stimulate any update to the advice so I wonder if it even took place 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baz-t said:

So are you saying they will now provide insurance, or will not.Just for clarity,

thanks

They are happy to insure me for international cruises within the EU, even when the specific question was asked, the note has been placed on file and the call recording stored.

Had an email today  😁

To build your excitement further, we are pleased to inform you that we will host Silver Moon's official naming ceremony on board on July 28—the day of your embarkation—in Athens. 

The intimate event will be screened live in selected venues throughout the ship from 6:30pm. You will also have the option of viewing the ceremony on the TV system in your suite. Our talented bar tenders will serve celebratory cocktails, as we raise a glass to mark the occasion. A commemorative feast will follow, with selected restaurants honouring Silver Moon's naming with special menus. 

Please note, the evening's dress code will be informal: dresses or trouser suits for ladies; jackets for gentlemen, with ties optional. 

We are excited now 🍾

9 hours ago, Philandher said:

They are happy to insure me for international cruises within the EU, even when the specific question was asked, the note has been placed on file and the call recording stored.

That's good. So, you have written confirmation they will NOT insure you and now being asked to rely on an agent's word (and their recording) that a "note" has been placed on your file saying that you ARE covered. Under those circs, might want to think about getting that in writing.

23 minutes ago, Cruiser6270 said:

That's good. So, you have written confirmation they will NOT insure you and now being asked to rely on an agent's word (and their recording) that a "note" has been placed on your file saying that you ARE covered. Under those circs, might want to think about getting that in writing.

I'd have to agree. During my call yesterday to my insurer agent (First Direct - who use Aviva) I repeatedly asked the question regarding cover in international waters and was repeatedly told I would be covered - its a world wide policy so definitely would have full cover while on a cruise in the Med as long as it didn't visit a red country, which would void the policy because it breaches the FDO. I don't think her ignorance would stand up in the event I needed to use it despite "all calls being recorded".

They did send me their standard "policy cover" letter, which states it doesn't give cover against FDO's, so as I said above, that's games over.

There’s no cover for:

• any trip if you travel against the advice of the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office(FCDO) or any government, or where you don’t follow any advice or measures put in place by any government or local authority in the UK or abroad, eg quarantine rules or curfews
  • any event, incident or circumstances if at the time your policy started or you booked your trip (whichever is later) you knew that, or you could reasonably be expected to have known, that the event, incident or circumstances could reasonably be expected to affect your travel plans.

So they have put in writing I'm not covered despite the operator repeating half a dozen times I'm ok.

I'd not risk travel abroad at any time without cover, but in these times, it's too scary (and increased chance) it may be needed.

• Like 1