Norfolk Va,

sassy~one

I haven't posted here in a long time but this one caught my eye.  I used to commute to Norfolk every day for work so  I know this area well.  I'd like to add a few comments and correct a few comments if I may.  The terminal that was built in downtown Norfolk was actually built to HAL specifications and is still referred to as the Half Moon Terminal.  However, after it was built HAL pulled completely out of the Norfolk/Newport News area.  The terminal was then used by Carnival and I believe Princess for a few years before they too pulled out.  To answer the OP though; Carnival had announced a cruise schedule with several cruises using Norfolk as it's terminus.  Then along came Covid and all of that never happened.  However, not too long ago the local news stations announced that Carnival would again be sailing out of Norfolk.  I believe to begin in 2022.

Now for why the cruise ships left this area.  Just a correction but there is no Navy base in Newport News.  A shipyard, yes but not a Navy facility.  There is Norfolk Navy Base and it is located along the Elizabeth River in Norfolk.  Little Creek was always a Navy facility and the only civilian ships that ever used Little Creek were ferries before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel complex was built in the 60's.  As a child the only way we could visit relatives on the Eastern Shore was to take a ferry.  Now for why cruising left Norfolk.  Apparently after 9/11 the entire security process for the Norfolk Navy Base was revamped.  In order for the cruise ships to get to the terminal in Norfolk they have to pass the Navy base.  Therein lied the problem.  Literally, the cruise ships had to ask for permission to sail past the Navy base.  Some cruise ships were denied or delayed entry which blew the schedules all to heck.  I spoke with a captain on a HAL ship about it once and he didn't have anything good to say about it.  There was a time when various cruise ships would come up the river for repair and overhaul work at a private shipyard.  You would see the cruise ships as part of the Norfolk/Portsmouth skyline.  All of that is gone, too. 

So, I guess that kind of answers the OP.  I would check Carnival's schedule because I would think if they have announced cruising's return to Norfolk the actual cruise dates may be posted already.

Sorry this is so long but I retired from the local shipbuilding industry here.  I watched as commercial ship work basically left the Hampton Roads area.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, rothbury said:

Now for why cruising left Norfolk.  Apparently after 9/11 the entire security process for the Norfolk Navy Base was revamped.  In order for the cruise ships to get to the terminal in Norfolk they have to pass the Navy base.  Therein lied the problem.  Literally, the cruise ships had to ask for permission to sail past the Navy base.

Thank you for your informative post.  Regarding 9/11 and the changes in security, what you describe regarding the Naval Base is accurate.  I can attest to that as one who visited the Naval Base a few times as a Tidewater vacationer.  Before 9/11, I was able during some week-ends to visit some of the ships docked at the Naval Base with the highlight of my visits being the USS Harry S. Truman, a newbuild that was at dock still being prepared for her first mission.  

Has there ever been any consideration of building a cruise terminal at Newport News?  Having to pass the Naval Base then would not be a problem.  

Thank you so much. Yes I had a cruise canceled from Norfolk 2020. Also nothing for 2021. These were Carnival.  I am booked from Norfolk in 2022.  I am from the OBX so Norfolk is my home port!  Thanks again Debbie