May 2022 Disney Wonder w/Young Kids (almost 3 and 5) & Nursery for almost 3?

Tennant

We are consider the May 16, 2022 sailing on the wonder to Alaska. We have been to AK twice pre-kids and loved it! A few questions about AK w/Disney and w/kids!

1.) If you've sailed with young kids to AK, how did your kids do? They they find it interesting at all? Did they like excursions? What excursions did you do?

2.) We have always taken a balcony cabin but the price on Disney is pretty high. I do feel it would be OK for my husband and I not to have a balcony but think we may need it with kids so we can still enjoy AK while kids are resting or taking some down time. What kind of cabin did you take with kids and what was your general experience?

3.) Our youngest will be 1.5 month shy of 3. This is the most economical and best time for us to cruise because our oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall so Sept. is out. Has anyone sent there almost 3 year old to the nursery? Did they have activities to keep a child of this age occupied?

Thanks!

I've seen your posts on the various boards. I have one question. What's the purpose of the cruise? To visit Alaska, or to take the kiddos on a cruise?

As you know, Alaska is port intensive (when in port). The excursions tend to be long, etc. Will your kids be up for it?

Also, why DCL? Specifically for the kiddos? As you know, you are paying a premium to cruise with DCL, where you could go on Carnival or RCI for less. 

If the goal is to just take the kiddos on a cruise, it might be best to head to the Caribbean. 

I'm not sure about right now, but pre-covid, Princess was considered to be one of the top lines for Alaska, and I was extremely impressed with their kids club staff.  Pre-covid, children under 3 could attend the kids club with parental supervision.  They did a wonderful job with our 2 year old.  Given the fact that there is so much to see in Alaska, I'm not sure I'd pay the premium to sail with Disney on an Alaska cruise.  I sailed to Alaska while pregnant with my first, so I can't speak as to whether kids would like it, but I do believe so based upon the many cruises I took with my kids (we live on the East Coast, or else that would have been a top cruise to take them on.  For now, I'm focusing on taking them on cruises to places I haven't been because its so challenging traveling with young kids I want to at least be able to see something new).  But an Alaskan cruise is the top vacation I recommend for families on the west coast.  We pulled out kindergartener out of school to go to Norway, and it was a wonderful experience for the whole family.   I would do that again in a heartbeat.

A few thoughts…

1.  Our son was 8 when we sailed to AK, and it was by far, our best cruise/vacation.  He loved every minute of the trip, even the very long days on the pre-cruise land tour.  So kids do love AK, but I think the older they are, the more they may appreciate it.  

2.  AK is huge, and to really experience it, you need to get off the ship and take an excursion - and they are both long and expensive.  There are, of course, ports where you can just get off ship and wander around the town and shop, but you don’t want to spend all that money and not see AK.

3.  The AK season is short.  Cruises in May “may” be more economical, but there may be less open or to do.  June - Aug is prime season, so I would verify which excursions are running in May and would also check on weather.  

my general advice for AK is figure out what you want to see and do in AK; find the ports that provide that, and then find the most economical ship that sails to those ports.  We sailed on RCI and another poster mentioned Princess.  If ship has nursery and kids club, and offers best price - book it and take any savings and out them towards excursions.  One of my son’s favorites was visiting the dog sled puppies and taking helicopter up to glacier to ride on a dog sled.  

PS:  the advice about taking a cruise to Caribbean is also good at those ages.  Check out one of the Oasis class ships and see how many things your young children would enjoy 😉 

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, RSLeesburg said:

my general advice for AK is figure out what you want to see and do in AK; find the ports that provide that, and then find the most economical ship that sails to those ports.  We sailed on RCI and another poster mentioned Princess.  If ship has nursery and kids club, and offers best price - book it and take any savings and out them towards excursions.  One of my son’s favorites was visiting the dog sled puppies and taking helicopter up to glacier to ride on a dog sled.  

PS:  the advice about taking a cruise to Caribbean is also good at those ages.  Check out one of the Oasis class ships and see how many things your young children would enjoy 😉 

I've been hemming and hawing about the dog sled w/glacier helicopter ride for my Alaska cruise this summer with my kids (ages 7 and 11). Your comment may have tipped me over the edge to just book it!

On 12/7/2021 at 2:02 PM, woostergirl said:

I've been hemming and hawing about the dog sled w/glacier helicopter ride for my Alaska cruise this summer with my kids (ages 7 and 11). Your comment may have tipped me over the edge to just book it!

It is an amazing excursion.  Your kids will love it.